Old May 28th 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Rail Link 'complete by 2014'

From eWatford Observer, 2:19pm Thursday 28th May 2009

Croxley Rail Link 'complete by 2014'

By Filip Hnizdo »

A timetable and funding plan for the long-delayed Croxley Rail Link
proposal has been drafted.
Hertfordshire County Council has announced it hopes to have the
£26million project complete by January 2014.
The recently published East of England Regional Authority's funding
advice document suggests a £119.5million government grant for the
project. London Underground is set to contribute an additional
£18.5million.
The East of England Regional Authority indicated that the project
would be delivered around 2017 but Hertfordshire County Council says
it hopes to bring this date forward.
Public consultations are planned for this summer with a Transport and
Works application set to be submitted in May next year. A public
inquiry is proposed for February 2011.
The rail project would link the Metropolitan Line on the London
Underground with Watford Junction rail station with new stations being
opened in Ascot Road and near the proposed Watford Health Campus and
Vicarage Road Stadium.
………………………………..................
………………………………..................
John Burke
WRUG

Old May 28th 09, 08:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message

From eWatford Observer, 2:19pm Thursday 28th May 2009

[...]

Thats excellent news! Does that mean the current Watford station will close?
Bet the residents nearby will not be too happy. Also trains "Semi Fast
Watford Junction" trains

Old May 28th 09, 09:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Thats excellent news! Does that mean the current Watford station will
close?

Yes

Old May 28th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 May, 21:47, wrote:
Hertfordshire County Council has announced it hopes to have the
£26million project complete by January 2014.

Not surprised - but very happy - to hear this. I noticed from the
Regional Funding Allocation statement that CRL funding was due to be
spent by 2013/4 instead of 2017/8 as proposed at the end of 2008.
That said, what chance the Tories ditching all this when they attain
power nationally next year?

THC
Old May 28th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message
On 28 May, 21:47, wrote:
Hertfordshire County Council has announced it hopes to have the
£26million project complete by January 2014.

Not surprised - but very happy - to hear this. I noticed from the
Regional Funding Allocation statement that CRL funding was due to be
spent by 2013/4 instead of 2017/8 as proposed at the end of 2008.
That said, what chance the Tories ditching all this when they attain
power nationally next year?

THC

Why would they? It makes sense for the local area? Anyways Watford is
usually a Labour voting area.

Old May 28th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Works application set to be submitted in May next year. A public
inquiry is proposed for February 2011.

Thats excellent news! Does that mean the current Watford station will
close?

Yes

All this pre-supposes such an enquiry will rule in favour.

If a public enquiry goes against, it won't happen. And the Cassiobury
Park area - where Watford Met. lies - strikes me as an area that might
have quite a lot of nimbies in it.

--
Nick
Old May 28th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

wrote in message
On 28 May, 21:47, wrote:
Hertfordshire County Council has announced it hopes to have the
£26million project complete by January 2014.

Not surprised - but very happy - to hear this. I noticed from the
Regional Funding Allocation statement that CRL funding was due to be
spent by 2013/4 instead of 2017/8 as proposed at the end of 2008.
That said, what chance the Tories ditching all this when they attain
power nationally next year?

THC

Why would they? It makes sense for the local area? Anyways Watford is
usually a Labour voting area.

But maybe not in 2010.

Old May 28th 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message

Works application set to be submitted in May next year. A public
inquiry is proposed for February 2011.

Thats excellent news! Does that mean the current Watford station will
close?

Yes

All this pre-supposes such an enquiry will rule in favour.

If a public enquiry goes against, it won't happen. And the Cassiobury
Park area - where Watford Met. lies - strikes me as an area that might
have quite a lot of nimbies in it.

--
Nick

How long would it take to travel to Watford Junction from Croxley?

Old May 28th 09, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28 May, 22:16, wrote:
wrote in message

On 28 May, 21:47, wrote:

Hertfordshire County Council has announced it hopes to have the
£26million project complete by January 2014.

Not surprised - but very happy - to hear this. *I noticed from the
Regional Funding Allocation statement that CRL funding was due to be
spent by 2013/4 instead of 2017/8 as proposed at the end of 2008.
That said, what chance the Tories ditching all this when they attain
power nationally next year?

THC

Why would they? It makes sense for the local area? Anyways Watford is
usually a Labour voting area.

Big fat public spending cuts heading your way and mine real soon,
that's why. Capital projects, in addition to revenue spend, won't be
safe. A project like this, which failed to get built during Labour's
golden years, is hardly likely to escape a Tory axe.

Watford has a Lib Dem Mayor and returned a Tory for 18 years before
Claire Ward was elected in 1997 - a classic swing seat. I'll eat my
hat if she's returned next year. The only potential saviour for this
is that Hertfordshire CC, the project sponsors, are solidly Tory.
Mind you, aren't most top-tier local authorities these days?

THC
Old May 28th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 28, 10:19*pm, wrote:

Works application set to be submitted in May next year. A public
inquiry is proposed for February 2011.

Thats excellent news! Does that mean the current Watford station will
close?

Yes

All this pre-supposes such an enquiry will rule in favour.

If a public enquiry goes against, it won't happen. And the Cassiobury
Park area - where Watford Met. lies - strikes me as an area that might
have quite a lot of nimbies in it.

Er, "imbies" surely - the problem for Cassiobury Park residents is
that they'd be *losing* their Met line station altogether, and instead
they'd have to troop south to either the new Ascot Road or the re-
opened Watford West stations.

The new construction would be relatively minimal - a link from the
existing line near Baldwins Lane across Watford Road to reach the
existing alignment across the Grand Union Canal (the bridge still
being existent) and on east. I'm not au fait with the exact proposals
for this link, and I'm sure some people would complain (particularly
so if the pub on the roundabout gets it), but the new link is of such
a small distance that I don't think it would lead to any particularly
orchestrated campaign against it. There might be some complaints from
people along the course of the existing alignment opposing it being
reopened, but that would weigh against the convenience of a new
station nearby so I wouldn't expect this to be a problem.

I'd think the only potential for people getting really upset would be
caused by the loss of Watford Met station - and said people are indeed
likely to be the Cassiobury Park folk.