Old June 3rd 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Chiltern's plans for Oxford-Princes Risborough via Cowley

On Jun 3, 1:10*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:49*pm, bebop wrote:

TimB wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:19 am, Richard Brooks richardbro...@vickers-

[snip]

Also;
http://www.transitionoxford.org.uk/sites/default/files/TransportEDPfo...

No, not that plan.
That's Evergreen 3, to the north of Oxford.

Well, turn back a page or three and the original version of Chiltern
Railway's 'Evergreen 3' proposal would have put Leicester back on the
list of destinations at Marylebone, and with a long franchise ahead of
them they were serious about it.

The map they issued used the correct shade of magenta for the proposed
route too.

Given the state of East Midlands Trains Sunday services, and the
provision of platforms for domestic services at St Pancras the other six
days of the week, some people will be thinking 'Bring it on'.

Though I think platform space at Marylebone is a bit tight too
nowadays.

It certainly is which is good. If Chiltern continues to expand and
improve they will need more space for London bound trains.

At one time I thought a new ariel curve above Neasden to carry
services to Saint Pancras by way of Cricklewood might be an answer.
But St P. is now full.

Paddington is hardly an option. It is also well utilized. Could
Kensington Olympia handle some Chiltern trains? Perhaps there is a
bigger role for TfL's Central Line in taking some of the load carried
by Chiltern.

Still, this is a great problem to have. I can recall two attempts to
close Marylebone.

Crossposting to uk.transport.london and misc.transport.urban-transit
for a wider more focused discussion.

Old June 3rd 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"1506" wrote

Paddington is hardly an option. It is also well utilized. Could
Kensington Olympia handle some Chiltern trains? Perhaps there is a
bigger role for TfL's Central Line in taking some of the load carried
by Chiltern.

It would I suppose be possible to evict the car park or whatever it is from
the space formerly occupied by the Motorail loading bays and create some
platforms there. But the West London Line is pretty full, and it's not clear
how trains would get there from the Chiltern line - the direct route
parallel to the LUL Central Line between North Acton and Shepherds Bush has
long gone.

Peter

Old June 3rd 09, 11:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, 1506 wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:10*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Though I think platform space at Marylebone is a bit tight too
nowadays.

It certainly is which is good. If Chiltern continues to expand and
improve they will need more space for London bound trains.

Stick another deck on top of Marylebone, in a slightly St Pancras style?
You'd have to lift the roof a bit to fit them in, but not by much. Or you
could build them beyond the end of the shed, in a more St Pancras style.

You'd have to sever Rossmore Road to make this work, but you know,
omelettes, eggs.

Or, of course, you could dive, and build some platforms in tunnel.

At one time I thought a new ariel curve above Neasden to carry
services to Saint Pancras by way of Cricklewood might be an answer.
But St P. is now full.

Paddington is hardly an option. It is also well utilized.

People keep telling me Euston has capacity. Difficult connection to make,
though.

tom

--
Teach us how to die well
Old June 3rd 09, 11:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 4 June, 00:21, Tom Anderson wrote:
People keep telling me Euston has capacity. Difficult connection to make,
though.

You've obviously never ridden the world-famous South Hampstead 270
degree spiral. A marvel of British engineering.

Old June 4th 09, 12:10 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 4, 12:48*am, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 June, 00:21, Tom Anderson wrote:

People keep telling me Euston has capacity. Difficult connection to make,
though.

You've obviously never ridden the world-famous South Hampstead 270
degree spiral. A marvel of British engineering.

Cripes! Hold tight, chaps...

Old June 4th 09, 12:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, 1506 wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:10 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Though I think platform space at Marylebone is a bit tight too
nowadays.

It certainly is which is good. If Chiltern continues to expand and
improve they will need more space for London bound trains.

Stick another deck on top of Marylebone, in a slightly St Pancras
style? You'd have to lift the roof a bit to fit them in, but not by
much. Or you could build them beyond the end of the shed, in a more
St Pancras style.

You'd have to sever Rossmore Road to make this work, but you know,
omelettes, eggs.

Or, of course, you could dive, and build some platforms in tunnel.

And sever the Regents Canal?

At one time I thought a new ariel curve above Neasden to carry
services to Saint Pancras by way of Cricklewood might be an answer.
But St P. is now full.

Paddington is hardly an option. It is also well utilized.

People keep telling me Euston has capacity. Difficult connection to
make, though.

No: you build a curve from Northwick Park to South Kenton and divert all
Chiltern Amersham trains through it to Euston, and sell off the Chiltern
tracks from Northwick Park to Neasden.

Old June 4th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 5:54*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, 1506 wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:10 pm, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

There would be some merit in a Euston to Aylesbury Parkway service,
leaving Chiltern to focus on their Birmingham route. However, your
Northwick Park to South Kenton curve, which is a great idea, needs
some clarification. Dropping the Aylesbury route onto the Watford DC
lines would be less than ideal. Better that it should join the AC
Semi-fast tracks utilizing a non-conflicting junction. That would
take some land, and need heavy civils. But one would have thought
that it is do-able.

Old June 4th 09, 06:16 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 3:35*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"1506" wrote

Paddington is hardly an option. *It is also well utilized. *Could
Kensington Olympia handle some Chiltern trains? *Perhaps there is a
bigger role for TfL's Central Line in taking some of the load carried
by Chiltern.

It would I suppose be possible to evict the car park or whatever it is from
the space formerly occupied by the Motorail loading bays and create some
platforms there. But the West London Line is pretty full, and it's not clear
how trains would get there from the Chiltern line - the direct route
parallel to the LUL Central Line between North Acton and Shepherds Bush has
long gone.

Peter

It is a pity that the North Acton and Shepherds Bush has gone. I
guess the Central Line could be droppep into a sub surface trench and
a new link built above it.

Although for commuter traffic Kensington Olympia is not an ideal
destination. I could see a link being useful if the GC GW joint line
becomes HS2 though!
Old June 5th 09, 12:25 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, 1506 wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:10 pm, Mizter T wrote:

Though I think platform space at Marylebone is a bit tight too
nowadays.

It certainly is which is good. If Chiltern continues to expand and
improve they will need more space for London bound trains.

Stick another deck on top of Marylebone, in a slightly St Pancras
style? You'd have to lift the roof a bit to fit them in, but not by
much. Or you could build them beyond the end of the shed, in a more
St Pancras style.

You'd have to sever Rossmore Road to make this work, but you know,
omelettes, eggs.

Or, of course, you could dive, and build some platforms in tunnel.

And sever the Regents Canal?

Underground locks.

At one time I thought a new ariel curve above Neasden to carry
services to Saint Pancras by way of Cricklewood might be an answer.
But St P. is now full.

Paddington is hardly an option. It is also well utilized.

People keep telling me Euston has capacity. Difficult connection to
make, though.

No: you build a curve from Northwick Park to South Kenton and divert all
Chiltern Amersham trains through it to Euston, and sell off the Chiltern
tracks from Northwick Park to Neasden.

No, use them for an extension of the Brent Cross light rail.

tom

--
Women are monsters, men are clueless, everyone fights and no-one ever
wins. -- cleanskies
Old June 5th 09, 09:02 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 4, 7:16*pm, 1506 wrote:
It is a pity that the North Acton and Shepherds Bush has gone. *I
guess the Central Line could be droppep into a sub surface trench and
a new link built above it.

No chance - from North Acton the Central Line quickly rises to
embankment once it emerges from under the GWML and North Pole depot
and passes over a number of bridges and then, just after East Acton,
the WB line crosses over as right-hand running is in place from there
to just before Shepherd's Bush (a throwback to the old CLR Wood Lane
loop).

THC