Old June 4th 09, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best house name

I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says "SELOH
ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

Old June 4th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 June, 12:36, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says "SELOH
ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

I remember a leaflet from National Girobank that included a picture of
a cheque signed by "E L O'Hesra".
Old June 4th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
On 4 June, 12:36, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says
"SELOH ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

I remember a leaflet from National Girobank that included a picture of
a cheque signed by "E L O'Hesra".

http://www.checksure.biz/company/E.L.+O'HESRA+LTD-ie073028.htm

Thanks. I've been looking for a new internet name.

Old June 4th 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 4, 5:10*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Huge
writes

On 2009-06-04, John Rowland wrote:

I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says "SELOH
ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

There's a house on the A428 between Bedford and Cambridge called "Nimitable".

When I was a child there were two prefabs (remember *those* anyone?!)
alongside each other here in Smethiwck called "Weddunno" and "Nordowee".

Very good.

But yes, of course we remember prefabs - there are still some around
London town, though they're gradually disappearing. However there's
still the Excalibur Estate in Downham, near Catford - AIUI most of it
is on the way out, but six prefabs have been listed - see:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/4211511.CATFORD/
Old June 4th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

But yes, of course we remember prefabs - there are still some around
London town

And as I'm sure Ian is aware some still exist in Brum e.g. Wake Green Road,
but the main reason for this post is that I really don't understand the
"SELOH ESRA" reference. It sounds like a catchphrase - maybe "Say Hello
Esra", but I'm curious as to the origin.

Regards

--
David

Old June 4th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Morgan wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

But yes, of course we remember prefabs - there are still some around
London town

And as I'm sure Ian is aware some still exist in Brum e.g. Wake Green
Road, but the main reason for this post is that I really don't
understand the "SELOH ESRA" reference. It sounds like a catchphrase -
maybe "Say Hello Esra", but I'm curious as to the origin.

Read backwards?

Paul S

Old June 4th 09, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says
"SELOH ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

A mate of mine lived in deepest Wiltshire - he called his house "Sea View".
;-)

Old June 4th 09, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
Read backwards?

Thanks Paul, I (obviously) hadn't spotted that :-)

--
David

Old June 5th 09, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says "SELOH
ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

Going slightly off the original thread how about a narrow boat "slopalong
placidly"

Old June 5th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I found a house in Childers St SE8 with a sign outside that says "SELOH
ESRA". (It's not in Google Streetview, sadly.)

Our road has a No. 1, then 1 1/4, before three named houses (posh eh!) then
No. 3, 5 etc.

MaxB