Old October 18th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default False name & address on Oyster - any problems?

I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?

Old October 18th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

Sam

Old October 18th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

You just pay for the card. Only thing for giving them your name & address is
that you can reclaim any lost credit if lost.

Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over the
place recording your every move.

Old October 18th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

There was a sign up at Liverpool St on Friday saying "Oyster - now no
need to register". No idea of how that works in practice, though.

You just pay for the card. Only thing for giving them your name &
address is that you can reclaim any lost credit if lost.

Anyway, what's the worries, they've got billions of cameras all over
the place recording your every move.

True but not quite the same. How much easier it would be to trace a
Londoner in his movements on public transport via a ticket machine and
his Oyster card use than have to pick him out from millions of reels of
video.

Old October 18th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

As long as you don't want a monthly or longer season ticket, there is no
need to register.

I bought a monthly bus pass recently from a tube station. I wanted to
be able to lend it to my partner, so I asked if I could get it without
registering the Oyster card. Although ideally they would have liked me
to, they said that was okay and I now have a fully transferable monthly
bus pass. According to 'Fares & Tickets' I shouldn't really have been
able to buy this though.

Can revenue protection inspectors bring up your name and address on
their readers, from info stored on the Oyster card? Does this fill the
role of the photocards which used to be required? I suppose even if
they could, there's no requirement for anyone to carry proof of
identity anyway.

Dominic

Old October 18th 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

Refunds (for whatever reason) are by cheque, sent to the registered
address, ditto if you ask for a printout of your last 10(?) trips.

They also now refund direct to Oyster Card but it only works if you use the
same tube station almost every day as they "send" the refund to the gates like
an online top up. When you pass through the gates you pick it up. They expire
after a week so it really has to be a station you use regularly. Lots of people
especially those using mainly the bus or with irregular travel will still have to
get refunds via cheque. Oh and you have to ask for it done this way, if you
say nothing the default is still a cheque.

The report they send you contains all the travel data they hold on you, the
last 6 weeks. I suspect this is to comply with the Data Protection Act but
someone else may know for sure.

Old October 18th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

Why bother give them a name and address? If it's pre-pay, you don't need to.

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

I've had refunds credited to the oyster card (or actually, an unresolved
journey cancelled)

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?

Pass. I haven't given them my address, so I wouldn't know.

However, if you are worried about being tracked, and if you ever charge
your oyster card with a credit/debit card, there's a transaction there
with your name and credit card number on it. In the event of fraud, they
_will_ track you down.

--
Simon Hewison
Old October 18th 05, 09:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:51:22 +0100, Simon Hewison
wrote:

I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

Why bother give them a name and address? If it's pre-pay, you don't need to.

Presumably he's purchasing a Travelcard season.
Old October 19th 05, 07:06 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Barry Salter wrote:
(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false
details?

As long as you don't want a monthly or longer season ticket, there
is no
need to register.

I bought a monthly bus pass recently from a tube station. I wanted
be able to lend it to my partner, so I asked if I could get it
without
registering the Oyster card. Although ideally they would have liked
me
to, they said that was okay and I now have a fully transferable
monthly
bus pass. According to 'Fares & Tickets' I shouldn't really have
been
able to buy this though.

and every time you give it to your partner you ad she and breaking the
law and stealing from those of us who think that paying your way is
right and of course also stealing from every council tax-payer in
London.