Old June 11th 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bendybus Info

Before these buses disappear from some routes, I've been looking for
information on fleet numbers.
From what I can make out, they are all built by Mercedes-Benz and
externally all look very similar. But why are there several different
ranges of fleet numbers? I've seen MAxx, MALxx, ECA3xxx, EA11xxx and
23xxx. Does anyone have details of the range of numbers for each.

Most of those I've seen have the new format registration numbers, but
I've seen 2 on route 149 that have ex-RM registration numbers, why is
that? And is it a quirk of how these registrations are issued that
within blocks, some registrations are missing between consecutive
fleet numbers.

Dave

Old June 12th 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 11 June, 23:42, wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Corfield) wrote:
A number of operators have retained RM registrations as cherished
plates. They are fitted to a range of buses including Volvo double decks
as well as bendy buses. *Gaps in the numbers are explained above.

We had a number turn up in Cambridge on originally N-registered double
deckers for Park and Ride Services a few years ago. The plates concealed
that the "new" buses were older than the similar spec P-reg vehicles
already in the existing P&R fleet.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I can see how the old numbers could be of value to individuals, eg the
number for RM50 might be nice for the car given to Victor Leonard
Thompson on his 50th birthday or something. I can't really see the
point of using them on other buses.
Old June 12th 09, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I can't really see the
point of using them on other buses.

If the same rules apply as with cars etc then perhaps just the cheapest
way to hang on to them with a view to re-use on new RMs?

Old June 12th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
03:05:32 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009, MIG
remarked:
I can see how the old numbers could be of value to individuals, eg the
number for RM50 might be nice for the car given to Victor Leonard
Thompson on his 50th birthday or something. I can't really see the
point of using them on other buses.

My car has a "personal" plate from the mid 70's, but it's clearly not 30
years old.

So you can't tell if it's 5, 9 or 13 years old (any of which is possible
with that body shape). Although my plate isn't there to disguise the age
(it'll be 8 years old later this year), that's what bus companies often
do.

Old June 12th 09, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 June, 11:37, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:05:32 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009, MIG
remarked:

I can see how the old numbers could be of value to individuals, eg the
number for RM50 might be nice for the car given to Victor Leonard
Thompson on his 50th birthday or something. *I can't really see the
point of using them on other buses.

My car has a "personal" plate from the mid 70's, but it's clearly not 30
years old.

So you can't tell if it's 5, 9 or 13 years old (any of which is possible
with that body shape). Although my plate isn't there to disguise the age
(it'll be 8 years old later this year), that's what bus companies often
do.

I must be being dim, but how would a bus company benefit from
disguising the age of a bus from the casual observer? The individual
in the pub car park might not want people to know the age of his car,
but I can't see an equivalent motivation for a bus operator.
Old June 12th 09, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:56:27 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009, MIG
remarked:
I must be being dim, but how would a bus company benefit from
disguising the age of a bus from the casual observer? The individual
in the pub car park might not want people to know the age of his car,
but I can't see an equivalent motivation for a bus operator.

It seems to matter to them. Quite a few coach companies do it as well.
Old June 12th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

I must be being dim, but how would a bus company benefit from
disguising the age of a bus from the casual observer? The individual
in the pub car park might not want people to know the age of his car,
but I can't see an equivalent motivation for a bus operator.

Perhaps an old registration number (perhaps with some matching "old"
content) allows a bus operator to escape the latest regulations, such as
those on emissions?

For some years, it was standard practice in coach companies to use old
registrations to avoid having to fit the 100 km/h (62 mph) speed
limiters that were required by law on all new coaches. That led to
varying amounts of "old" content in otherwise new vehicles, including
some suggestions that the only "old" part was the plate stamped with the
chassis number. ;-)

I don't know whether that practice is still common, or indeed possible
under the law. But I can understand coach operators wanting to be able
to operate perfectly legally at 70 mph. There never seemed much sense
in physically limiting coaches to 8 mph less than their legal limit.

Old June 12th 09, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 June, 14:32, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On 11 June, 23:42, wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Corfield) wrote:
A number of operators have retained RM registrations as cherished
plates. They are fitted to a range of buses including Volvo double
decks as well as bendy buses. *Gaps in the numbers are explained
above.

We had a number turn up in Cambridge on originally N-registered double
deckers for Park and Ride Services a few years ago. The plates
concealed that the "new" buses were older than the similar spec P-reg
vehicles already in the existing P&R fleet.

I can see how the old numbers could be of value to individuals, eg the
number for RM50 might be nice for the car given to Victor Leonard
Thompson on his 50th birthday or something. *I can't really see the
point of using them on other buses.

The point everyone here is missing is that the old RM plates referred to
have no year letters, thereby concealing the vehicle ages. They are
popular in the coach industry for that reason AIUI.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I don't think it was missed at all, and has been referred to. I
couldn't see why it would matter to a bus or coach operator to conceal
the age, since it would be concealed only from a casual observer, not
from a regulator or inspector. The "showing off your car" motivation
surely wouldn't apply?

TP suggested that maybe it helped with getting around recent
regulations, but only if combined with the original chassis plate.
That may be how it works, but I'd find it a bit surprising as a
loophole.

Bendybus destroyed by fire in service Thomas Payne London Transport 4 December 12th 03 09:52 PM
LUL ACCIDENT INFO Bumper x London Transport 1 September 15th 03 01:02 PM
Tube Info Orienteer London Transport 11 September 5th 03 02:16 PM
Ticket Gates Holding Info Dave Newt London Transport 2 August 5th 03 09:16 AM
Ticket Gates Holding Info Dave London Transport 0 August 4th 03 10:45 AM