Old July 9th 09, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Journey from Watford Junction to West Brompton

Hello,

I'm planing a return trip to Earls Court on the 18th July.

Is it possible to catch a Southern train from Watford Junction direct to
West Brompton (without changing!)

Thanks.

Old July 9th 09, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Maskell" wrote in message
o.uk...

Is it possible to catch a Southern train from Watford Junction direct to
West Brompton (without changing!)

According to www.nationalrail.co.uk it involves two changes (at Harrow and
Wealdstone and Willesden Junction) and takes just over an hour.

Ian

Old July 9th 09, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Ian F.) wrote:

"Paul Maskell" wrote in message
o.uk...

Is it possible to catch a Southern train from Watford Junction
direct to West Brompton (without changing!)

According to
www.nationalrail.co.uk it involves two changes (at
Harrow and Wealdstone and Willesden Junction) and takes just over
an hour.

What's wrong with the xx.51 from Watford Junction direct, reaching West
Brompton at 27 minutes past the next hour? See table 176 of the GBTT. The
National Rail Journey Planner seems to know about it too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 9th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

What's wrong with the xx.51 from Watford Junction direct, reaching West
Brompton at 27 minutes past the next hour? See table 176 of the GBTT. The
National Rail Journey Planner seems to know about it too.

That's only on weekdays. The OP wants to travel on 18th July, which is a
Saturday.

Ian

Old July 9th 09, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

OK, WFJ dep. xx.52 and arrive at 25 past the next hour then?

I can't find that train on the National Rail website.

Ian

Old July 9th 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
wrote in message

OK, WFJ dep. xx.52 and arrive at 25 past the next hour then?

I can't find that train on the National Rail website.

I think there may be engineering work that weekend as none of the
Southern services are shown.

Peter Smyth

Old July 9th 09, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 9, 4:27*pm, Paul Maskell wrote:
Hello,

I'm planing a return trip to Earls Court on the 18th July.

Is it possible to catch a Southern train from Watford Junction direct to
West Brompton (without changing!)

Normally there is a direct Southern train service which operates seven
days a week basically at an hourly frequency.

However there's engineering works on the West London Line (between
Willesden Jn and Clapham Jn) that weekend, which means the trains are
not running - though annoyingly, Southern fail to mention this on
their planned engineering works page for that weekend:
http://www.southernrailway.com/engin...orks.php?e=253

However of you look at the results of the National Rail journey
planner, you'll see that the last of the three legs of the journey is
on a replacement bus service.

Just so as to double-check that the WLL is indeed closed on the
weekend in question, I've just had a look at the advance engineering
work info for London Overground (LO) on the TfL website, as LO also
operate a service on the WLL - and this page confirms the line will
indeed be closed:
http://tinyurl.com/m5txx9

For the record, I'll copy the text of this page below:
---quote---
LONDON OVERGROUND, WILLESDEN JUNCTION TO CLAPHAM JUNCTION LINE: On
Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 July, suspended between Willesden Junction
and Clapham Junction. Southern services are also affected. Replacement
buses operate.

Replacement buses operate

Willesden Junction - Shepherds Bush - Kensington Olympia - West
Brompton - Clapham Junction.
---/quote---

So, Southern's website isn't up to speed on these engineering works,
which is shabby.

FWIW, if you are going to do this journey this way and want to keep it
simple then I'd probably recommend simply catching the London
Overground stopping service all the way from Watford Jn to Willesden
Jn, instead of catching a fast London Midland train from Watford Jn to
H&W, then changing there onto the LO service.

(That said, the Bakerloo line service also starts at H&W, so if on
arrival at Watford Jn you find a fast train that's (a) leaving
imminently and (b) stops at H&W you might want to take that instead -
then at H&W you can catch either an LO or Bakerloo line train to
Willesden Jn, i.e. whichever one turns up first, as they use the same
platform.)

Alternatively it's a Londin Midland train all the way to Euston, then
the Underground to Earl's Court - and it's worth noting that the
Victoria line is out of action on Sat 18 July too.
Old July 9th 09, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 9, 7:05*pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:

"Ian F." wrote:

wrote:

OK, WFJ dep. xx.52 and arrive at 25 past the next hour then?

I can't find that train on the National Rail website.

I think there may be engineering work that weekend as none of the
Southern services are shown.

There is indeed, though most unhelpfully Southern doesn't flag this up
on the planned engineering works pages on their website (which I also
mentioned in my separate reply to the OP).
Old July 9th 09, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So, Southern's website isn't up to speed on these engineering works,
which is shabby.

Ahhh...... but it's not "really" part of the Southern empire, just somewhere
they happen to occasionally run trains so why should they acknowledge the
works?!