Old October 17th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

Default another derailment

Picadilly between Hammersmith and Barons Court apparently. Details sketchy
at the moment.

Old October 17th 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:25:57 +0100, I@n wrote:

Picadilly between Hammersmith and Barons Court apparently. Details sketchy
at the moment.

LDN said that the train remained upright, but passangers were being
evacuated.

Old October 17th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I@n wrote:
Picadilly between Hammersmith and Barons Court apparently. Details
sketchy at the moment.

It appears to have been an eastbound Piccadilly near Barons Court (though
the TfL/LU sites refer to a derailment at Hammersmith station). The train
remained upright and there were no injuries. Further details from BBCi News
:
-------
"It is believed the wheels of the rear carriage came off the track at 2125
BST as the train carrying 76 people was travelling between Hammersmith and
Baron's Court stations. A BTP spokesman said there was no suggestion of
crime. He said the passengers were in the process of being transferred to
another train to take them on to Baron's Court.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said there were no other trains involved in the
incident, which occurred 200 yards from Barons Court station, she said. The
train is believed to have come off the rails at some points. "There have
been no reports of any injuries", she added.

Firefighters, British Transport Police and Underground staff were being
taken to the scene on another train to help passengers."
-------
"Some points" presumably refers to a connection with the siding between the
e/b and w/b Piccadilly tracks.

Piccadilly line suspended between Acton Town and Hyde Park Corner. District
suspended west of Earl's Court (or possibly South Kensington if you believe
the Tfl/LU sites).

--
Richard J.

Old October 17th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

I@n wrote:
[...]

Going by the measurements and direction of travel, it sounds like 24b
points.

Piccadilly line suspended between Acton Town and Hyde Park Corner.
District
suspended west of Earl's Court (or possibly South Kensington if you
believe
the Tfl/LU sites).

West Kensington I assume.

--
Richard J.

Roger
Old October 17th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"I@n" -uk wrote the following in:

Picadilly between Hammersmith and Barons Court apparently. Details
sketchy at the moment.

My girlfriend was on a Piccadilly train today. It stopped at Russell
Square because the train in front was smoking. At first it was thought
that it would be a small delay but eventually the London Fire Brigade
had to be called in. She says she could smell the smoke in the tunnel
at Russell Square. Any connection between the two events?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 17th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message

My girlfriend was on a Piccadilly train today. It stopped at Russell
Square because the train in front was smoking. At first it was thought
that it would be a small delay but eventually the London Fire Brigade
had to be called in. She says she could smell the smoke in the tunnel
at Russell Square. Any connection between the two events?

There seems to have been a spate of 'warm' trains recently. Late on
Wednesday night I was heading north up the Bakerloo line in a car in which
there were three engineers in hi-vi vests, with flashlamps, who had all of
the seats cushions off at one end of the car and were periodically
inspecting the bogie below. When braking for stations there was an excessive
grinding noise from one wheelset and a strong smell of burning. I was quite
surprised that they kept the vehicle open to passengers at that time of the
night, especially as they were surrounded by standing passengers whilst they
were working. I suspect that that would not have been the case if the
incident had occurred on a mainline train, where the HSE regulations are
observed and implemented more rigorously.

Old October 18th 03, 01:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"According to sources at the crash site the incident was caused by a
broken rail, and a member of the rail staff who saw the rail said it was
"rusted" before it fractured."

Out of curiosity (and I accept there may be a perfectly good answer to
this), how can you tell a rail is rusted just by looking at it? Being
steel there's always going to be a fair bit of corrosion on the outside,
with only the tops being polished clean by passing trains.
--
Spyke (Whose own tube tracks are thankfully made out of aluminium!)
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old October 18th 03, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I see the Evening Standard's accuracy is at its usual level:

"between Hammersmith and Barons Court stations .... Passengers were being
rescued from the tunnel ..."

--
Richard J.