Old July 15th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default albeit expensive?

Please excuse the delurk:

I visit London a couple of times a year, enjoying the public transportation.
Now I know who to credit/blame for making it so "albeit expensive", and who
to blame/credit when New York raises their rates even further.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/ny...transit&st=cse

Rich
Chicago Expat

Old July 15th 09, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Please excuse the delurk:

I visit London a couple of times a year, enjoying the public
transportation. Now I know who to credit/blame for making it so
"albeit expensive", and who to blame/credit when New York raises their
rates even further.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/ny...transit&st=cse

I'd like to know what London journey costs over $20?

Peter Smyth

Old July 16th 09, 02:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in
:

I'd like to know what London journey costs over $20?

Pretty much anything in a taxi beyond walking distance.
Old July 16th 09, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'd like to know what London journey costs over $20?

Peter Smyth

According to the TfL web site, a single from Epping to Amersham costs
£7-00 single when paid cash. At an exchange rate of $1.61 that's
$11.27.

Seems like the American newspapers papers are about as reliable as our
own.

Peter

Old July 16th 09, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
00:25:53 on Thu, 16 Jul 2009, peter remarked:
I'd like to know what London journey costs over $20?

According to the TfL web site, a single from Epping to Amersham costs
£7-00 single when paid cash. At an exchange rate of $1.61 that's
$11.27.

They are probably looking at the Peak travelcard £16.20 ($26)

Old July 16th 09, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 15, 11:44*pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:

wrote:

Please excuse the delurk:

I visit London a couple of times a year, enjoying the public
transportation. Now I know who to credit/blame for making it so
"albeit expensive", and who to blame/credit when New York raises their
rates even further.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/nyregion/15mta.html

I'd like to know what London journey costs over $20?

Indeed. US$20 is just over £12 this morning (according to XE). Looks
distinctly to me as if they've taken the price of the most expensive
peak PAYG price caps or Anytime (aka Peak) Day Travelcards - zones 1-5
peak cap is £12.10, zones 1-6 is £14.30, with the equivalent zones on
a paper Anytime Day Travelcard being 50p more.

So certainly no single journey comes close to being $20. And the smart
thing about Oyster PAYG is that reaching the Peak caps is perhaps
something of an achievement anyway - most of the time a passenger
would be more likely to reach an Off-peak cap later in the day and pay
for the peak journeys separately (or indeed not reach any cap at all).
Old July 16th 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I forgot about poor old zones 7-9!

A zones 7-9 Peak cap costs £15.70, the Anytime Day Travelcard being
£16.20. Still not a single journey of course.

(And the zones 1-9 plus Watford Jn peak cap is £13, with the Anytime
Day Travelcard costing £13.50 - though there's no Underground service
up that way of course, although the London Overground network does now
appear on the Tube maps. However, again, it's not a single journey.)
Old July 16th 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:16:47 on Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Mizter T remarked:
So certainly no single journey comes close to being $20. And the smart
thing about Oyster PAYG is that reaching the Peak caps is perhaps
something of an achievement anyway - most of the time a passenger
would be more likely to reach an Off-peak cap later in the day and pay
for the peak journeys separately (or indeed not reach any cap at all).

I forgot about poor old zones 7-9!

A zones 7-9 Peak cap costs £15.70, the Anytime Day Travelcard being
£16.20. Still not a single journey of course.

The original article talks about the cost of a "Subway ride". Ok, it's
valid for a return trip but that's a ride there and back

In practice, they've clearly pulled up the TFL fares page and picked the
biggest number, not really caring what it was for. (The "according to
time of day" they mention is a bit of a giveaway as you need to pick the
"Peak" ticket).
Old July 16th 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In practice, they've clearly pulled up the TFL fares page and picked
the biggest number, not really caring what it was for.

Same as most of the media in this country then...

Paul S

Old July 16th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:05:05 on
Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
In practice, they've clearly pulled up the TFL fares page and picked
the biggest number, not really caring what it was for.

Same as most of the media in this country then...

It's a fallacy that journalists are very good at doing research. Most
are "reporters" - they pass on what other people say. In this case, what
the TFL page said. The fact that this process often loses context, or
manages to "report" things that aren't what they seem, is why you should
never believe one report in isolation.