Old July 28th 09, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Traffic light problem in Golders Green

In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
It's probably done on purpose on grounds of cost: lights with a
fixed (or timed) pattern will be cheaper to buy and maintain than
lights with sensors etc.

That, as I understand that would be illegal.

I find that difficult to believe. I don't think the lights at the
junction of Bush Road and Leytonstone High Road have sensors, for
example. they certainly don't have the obvious ones that sit on
top of the lights (although they might have a loop in the road
itself, I suppose).

I don't think the traffic management at that site would be improved
by them, either, so the only thing they would add is increased
maintance costs, and more things to break, for no benefit.

--
:wq

Old July 28th 09, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:27:58 +0100, Mike Bristow
wrote:
In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
It's probably done on purpose on grounds of cost: lights with a
fixed (or timed) pattern will be cheaper to buy and maintain than
lights with sensors etc.

That, as I understand that would be illegal.

I find that difficult to believe. I don't think the lights at the
junction of Bush Road and Leytonstone High Road have sensors, for
example. they certainly don't have the obvious ones that sit on
top of the lights (although they might have a loop in the road
itself, I suppose).

No traffic lights on a public road, whether temporary or permanent,
can be installed without sensors. Almost all permanent lights have
sensor loops in the road surface. Only a few have the sensors on top
of the traffic light that are universal in temporary installations.

Old July 28th 09, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote on 28 July 2009 15:34:18 ...
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:27:58 +0100, Mike Bristow
wrote:
In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
It's probably done on purpose on grounds of cost: lights with a
fixed (or timed) pattern will be cheaper to buy and maintain than
lights with sensors etc.

That, as I understand that would be illegal.

I find that difficult to believe. I don't think the lights at the
junction of Bush Road and Leytonstone High Road have sensors, for
example. they certainly don't have the obvious ones that sit on
top of the lights (although they might have a loop in the road
itself, I suppose).

As Bruce says, most permanent lights have detector circuits embedded in
the road surface. At that junction, Google Street View seems to show an
anti-skid surface, which would have covered the tar lines indicating
where the detectors are.

No traffic lights on a public road, whether temporary or permanent,
can be installed without sensors.

What law or regulation specifies that? I'm not aware of one. Certainly
it's normal to have sensors, but I thought that fixed-time signals were
still legal. A Highways Agency press release from 2006 talks about a
fixed time traffic light installation at York being upgraded, and
Worcestershire County Council's site says that fixed time temporary
lights need their written approval, so in both cases it seems that fixed
time signals are not illegal.
--
Richard J.
Old July 28th 09, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message

I find that difficult to believe. I don't think the lights at the
junction of Bush Road and Leytonstone High Road have sensors, for
example.

Is it 'LEYTONSTONE HIGH RD / BUSH RD / TESCO SERVICE RD' ?

There are input sensors for that junction although I'm not sure without
looking further what type

The junction in the OP's message is the same - no record of anything sensor
wise - but there have been a few faults in the past 6 months. Mostley lamp's
out and little things.

Old August 3rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Q wrote:

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message

I find that difficult to believe. I don't think the lights at the
junction of Bush Road and Leytonstone High Road have sensors, for
example.

Is it 'LEYTONSTONE HIGH RD / BUSH RD / TESCO SERVICE RD' ?

Yes. And now I think about it, it's the tesco service road that
probably needs the sensor.

--
:wq