Old October 19th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another Tube derailment - Camden Town

=== original message Date: 2003-10-19 04:25:50 PST ===

Mmmm. Jarvis - Welwyn, Hatfield and Kings Cross!

www.tube.tfl.gov.uk is showing no service Hampstead - Charing Cross
and East Fincley - Kings Cross at present.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
=======================================

You might want to check your facts there, Robert. Jarvis wern't the
company responsible for the line through Hatfield at the time of the
broken rail which is said to have caused the derailment of a
northbound GNER service. It was Balfour Beatty - admittedly many if
not most of the staff are the same though, for the obvious reasons.

Simon.

Old October 19th 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Oct 2003 10:24:45 -0700, (Simon Martin)
wrote:

=== original message Date: 2003-10-19 04:25:50 PST ===

Mmmm. Jarvis - Welwyn, Hatfield and Kings Cross!

www.tube.tfl.gov.uk is showing no service Hampstead - Charing Cross
and East Fincley - Kings Cross at present.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
=======================================

You might want to check your facts there, Robert. Jarvis wern't the
company responsible for the line through Hatfield at the time of the
broken rail which is said to have caused the derailment of a
northbound GNER service. It was Balfour Beatty - admittedly many if
not most of the staff are the same though, for the obvious reasons.

Simon.

Sorry, you're absolutely correct.

I wonder if there's something about that section of the East Coast
Main Line that's jinxed?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old October 19th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..

Sorry, you're absolutely correct.

I wonder if there's something about that section of the East Coast
Main Line that's jinxed?

Rob.

Well, it's probably about as Jinxed as the Great West mainline out of
Paddington, or any other main line - as in, it's just very busy with a
lot of trains using it. Eventually something is going to go wrong, as
that's what happens with machinery. If only one train went along it a
month, it'd be longer between accidents (maybe) and so they'd happen
less often.

(In short, no, it's not).

Simon
Old October 19th 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

At last, the voice of reason. Thanks Rob.
Old October 20th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

So not only do people in London pay high fares on the tube (and more
from January next year)
These high fares give them, without doubt an awful service (a fact the
mayor and most tube users would agree with).
You don't know if your next tube service will be your last.

It makes me wish and hope my next visit to London is as soon as
possible so I can once again enjoy the near death experince that is
London Underground (this could possibly contain some scarcasm)

Old October 20th 03, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I now do not use the underground unless it is an imperative, I have a
bus pass. I would object strongly if one pound is given to the
underground private companies at the moment, immediately they were
privatised they took 40p of every pound to pay the directors and
shareholders with scant regard for safety and repair of the
infrastructure.
For the record they have reduced track walking to once every 48 hours,
this not like the over ground where one train passes maybe four times
an hour, the underground has 5 in ten minutes, the track is under a
lot of strain. Saving 50% of the inspection cost two derailments -
unskilled walkers?
Give the Mayor full control and responsibility he has shown what can
be done with congestion and the buses. BK has already proved what can
be done with a metro system.

On 20 Oct 2003 09:39:13 -0700, (CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North) wrote:

So not only do people in London pay high fares on the tube (and more
from January next year)
These high fares give them, without doubt an awful service (a fact the
mayor and most tube users would agree with).
You don't know if your next tube service will be your last.

It makes me wish and hope my next visit to London is as soon as
possible so I can once again enjoy the near death experince that is
London Underground (this could possibly contain some scarcasm)

This e-mail, and any attachment, may contain Confidential Information.
Receipt of this information does not imply nor entitle any rights
to possession or use. If you have received it in error, please delete
it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any
way, and notify the sender immediately.
Chris
Box 2534 Tel. [44] 0 (20) 7609-1093
London, Fax. [44] 0 (20) 7609-6910
WC1N 3XX,

UK
http://www.crag.dircon.co.uk

Old October 20th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"chris" wrote in message

I now do not use the underground unless it is an imperative, I have a
bus pass. I would object strongly if one pound is given to the
underground private companies at the moment, immediately they were
privatised they took 40p of every pound to pay the directors and
shareholders with scant regard for safety and repair of the
infrastructure.
For the record they have reduced track walking to once every 48 hours,
this not like the over ground where one train passes maybe four times
an hour, the underground has 5 in ten minutes, the track is under a
lot of strain. Saving 50% of the inspection cost two derailments -
unskilled walkers?
Give the Mayor full control and responsibility he has shown what can
be done with congestion and the buses. BK has already proved what can
be done with a metro system.

The fare income from the Tube doesn't go to the PPP contactors, but to LU,
so you don't need to worry about it going to PPP suppliers. Also, I doubt
that their profit margin will turn out to be that high, but that's a
different matter.

Old October 20th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...
So not only do people in London pay high fares on the tube (and more
from January next year)
These high fares give them, without doubt an awful service (a fact the
mayor and most tube users would agree with).
You don't know if your next tube service will be your last.

It makes me wish and hope my next visit to London is as soon as
possible so I can once again enjoy the near death experince that is
London Underground (this could possibly contain some scarcasm)

LOL!
But surely made up for, by the happy smiling station staff....

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto (where we don't do sarcasm)

Old October 21st 03, 04:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I am sorry to inform Nigel that fares do go to the Contractors running
the rail infrastructure, travel card income is split between the
organisations of bus underground and NR, this forms part of the
scheme paying for the services these render, the fares received at
underground stations for UG fares go directly into the underground
pot. The internal payment is scheme is a complex web as decoding the
original contracts and the basis of complaints and legal challenge of
the Mayor. The payments out is greater than the income, if I remember
correctly some £50 million.