Old July 18th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail Visitor Centre

By complete coincidence I was in central London last Thursday evening,
and went a few yards out of my way to pay a visit to the Crossrail
Visitor Centre on its first day of operation (buried away in a side
street off and parallel to Charing Cross Road - noobody would
accidentally walk by!).

There were no other visitors and there were three staff. There were
15 or so A3 boards with basic information on. There were very few
handouts - none of any value or collectable, and nothing that couldn't
be gleaned from the website.

In fairness there was one interesting display. This was of six plan
views of how the road infrastructure around Tottenham Court Road /
Centrepoint will be continually modified over the next couple of
years. I can't find this on the web site.

For those who want to witness this waste of money, it is open on
Tuesday and Thursday only between 12:00 and 8:00pm. What is more
worrying is that they are planning to open more of these along the
route.

And, I was reminded that Crossrail goes live in 2017. That's eight
years - seems an excessive time period to me.

And I live south of London and will have as much use for this service
as I currently do for the central line - once in a blue moon (or
should it be red?).