Old July 19th 09, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another airport question!

In message , at 15:36:23 on Sun, 19
Jul 2009, tim..... remarked:

Tomorrow, Monday, I intend to accompany Mrs Fig to Luton airport, leaving
home at 7:00 am.

Is there any way of finding out, in advance, how much a return from
Ruislip to Luton Parkway is?

Buy a ticket to Luton Airport, otherwise you'll have to also pay for the
shuttle bus.

Won't he still have to pay for the bus, just not as a separate transaction?

Yes, he'll have to pay for the bus [as a separate transaction].

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader, whether or not it's
cheaper to buy a bundled ticket.

But anyway, the last time I tried this I asked for the ticket that includes
the bus. The guy played around with his machine and eventually said, "Nope,
I can't issue you a ticket that includes the bus" and issued me with a
ticket to LAP.

He needs better training then. I've bought through tickets to the
airport.

ps LAP = Lapford.

At LAP on the way out I paid a man with a ticket machine as I got on (the
bus). On the way back no-one was collecting fares so I got a free ride!

That is the normal configuration. Then if you buy an onward ticket at
the station from the window, the chap will grill you about whether or
not you arrived via the bus (with a view to selling you a through ticket
from the airport).

Old July 19th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:36:23 on Sun, 19
Jul 2009, tim..... remarked:

Tomorrow, Monday, I intend to accompany Mrs Fig to Luton airport,
leaving
home at 7:00 am.

Is there any way of finding out, in advance, how much a return from
Ruislip to Luton Parkway is?

Buy a ticket to Luton Airport, otherwise you'll have to also pay for the
shuttle bus.

Won't he still have to pay for the bus, just not as a separate
transaction?

Yes, he'll have to pay for the bus [as a separate transaction].

I mean "Won't he still have to pay for the bus if he buys a through ticket"?

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader, whether or not it's cheaper
to buy a bundled ticket.

ISTR than when they started to charge they said that through tickets to the
airport would be "the bus fare" more than tickets to the station (and gave
some examples).

But anyway, the last time I tried this I asked for the ticket that
includes
the bus. The guy played around with his machine and eventually said,
"Nope,
I can't issue you a ticket that includes the bus" and issued me with a
ticket to LAP.

He needs better training then. I've bought through tickets to the airport.

On a line with a direct connection! (in your case)

ps LAP = Lapford.

Oh well

At LAP on the way out I paid a man with a ticket machine as I got on (the
bus). On the way back no-one was collecting fares so I got a free ride!

That is the normal configuration. Then if you buy an onward ticket at the
station from the window, the chap will grill you about whether or not you
arrived via the bus (with a view to selling you a through ticket from the
airport).

I already had my return train ticket

tim

Old July 19th 09, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:29:04 on Sun, 19
Jul 2009, tim..... remarked:
Buy a ticket to Luton Airport, otherwise you'll have to also pay for the
shuttle bus.

Won't he still have to pay for the bus, just not as a separate
transaction?

Yes, he'll have to pay for the bus [as a separate transaction].

I mean "Won't he still have to pay for the bus if he buys a through ticket"?

If he has a ticket to Luton Airport, it's valid on the bus (indeed, the
bus is the only way to fully use it).

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader, whether or not it's cheaper
to buy a bundled ticket.

ISTR than when they started to charge they said that through tickets to the
airport would be "the bus fare" more than tickets to the station (and gave
some examples).

They also claimed to have reduced the fare to Parkway, so that the
through fare to Airport was the same as the previous fare to Parkway.
That doesn't sound possible given a £1.50 single on the bus.

I've bought through tickets to the airport.

On a line with a direct connection! (in your case)

Luton Airport to Nottingham Single £40.20

Oddly enough (when I check) the same far as from Parkway. Oh well.