London Banter

-   -   Stations named after commercial entities (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8738-stations-named-after-commercial-entities.html)

[email protected] July 23rd 09 01:35 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

Basil Jet July 23rd 09 01:52 PM

wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is not
the original, which is gone.

Roland Perry July 23rd 09 02:08 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

As with many examples floated here, that's the name of the district now.

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

TimB July 23rd 09 02:33 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Jul 23, 3:08 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

[...]

another pub ??

[email protected] July 23rd 09 04:22 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

As with many examples floated here, that's the name of the district now.

Yes. That was the point I was sarcastically trying to make.

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping mall.

Talking of stations named (or renamed) after shopping malls, there's
also Surrey Quays.

Peter Masson[_2_] July 23rd 09 04:29 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote

Talking of stations named (or renamed) after shopping malls, there's
also Surrey Quays.

That was Surrey Docks until all the docks got filled in.

Peter

Recliner[_2_] July 23rd 09 05:02 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal
Exchange I was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is
much less likely to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into
something completely different with a new name, after people give up
trying to run trade shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

But the ExCel complex would be renamed if someone else took it over,
unlike Custom House.

Peter Smyth July 23rd 09 05:14 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

[...]

And Brent Cross.

Peter Smyth

Arthur Figgis July 23rd 09 05:43 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination" http://www.centrale.co.uk

Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Mr Thant July 23rd 09 05:55 PM

On 23 July, 15:08, Roland Perry wrote:
The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

I've fairly certain the actual Custom House has been demolished.

James Farrar July 23rd 09 06:22 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

"Recliner" wrote in news:ru-
:

But the ExCel complex would be renamed if someone else took it over,
unlike Custom House.

*Could* be renamed, I think. At least it's not a sponsored name, which is
much more susceptible to change.

James Farrar July 23rd 09 06:23 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Arthur Figgis wrote in
:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination" http://www.centrale.co.uk

Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.

How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

TimB July 23rd 09 06:30 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Jul 23, 7:23 pm, James Farrar wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote :

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination"http://www.centrale.co.uk

Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.

How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

And I was assuming it was meant to be Italian - Chentralay

Tom Anderson July 23rd 09 06:38 PM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Not LU or in London, but Denham Golf Club always strikes me as a funny
case of this.

tom

--
Oh, and sometimes in order to survive you have to drink the irradiated
water from an old toilet. -- Jon, on Fallout

David Morgan[_2_] July 23rd 09 06:41 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

"James Farrar" wrote in message
. 1.4...
How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

Just plain central. As opposed to centraal which is how the Dutch refer to
the main station in Amsterdam and seemingly how the tram announcers in
Croydon pronounce it.

However if you're trying to be a smart arse, I'm sure the the residents of
Milton Keynes don't routinely talk about a shopping centre in Croydon.

--
David

Roland Perry July 23rd 09 06:52 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message
, at
09:22:58 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:
The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

Mainly because it's much less likely to retain its name if turned into
housing, a hotel, business units or whatever.

Christopher A. Lee July 23rd 09 07:27 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:38:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Heathrow was a village on Hounslow Heath, which gave its name to the
airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...War_II_Map.jpg

Christopher A. Lee July 23rd 09 07:28 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On 23 Jul 2009 18:23:26 GMT, James Farrar
wrote:

How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

"It"

Roland Perry July 23rd 09 07:43 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message , at 15:27:44 on
Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Christopher A. Lee remarked:

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,

cough except I ruled out airports in my original posting.

Paul July 23rd 09 07:46 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Jul 23, 3:52*pm, "Basil Jet"
Roland Perry wrote:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

*Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is not
the original, which is gone.- Hide quoted text -

Would that be the Blue Angel by any chance between the old tube
station and the RBS offices?

Bruce[_2_] July 23rd 09 08:43 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:27:44 -0400, Christopher A. Lee
wrote:

Heathrow was a village on Hounslow Heath, which gave its name to the
airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...War_II_Map.jpg

Earlier maps had it as "Heath Row".

Christopher A. Lee July 23rd 09 09:26 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:43:01 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 15:27:44 on
Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Christopher A. Lee remarked:

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,

That was the guy I responded to, not I.

I merely pointed out that the airport took its name from the village
on Hounslow Heath.

cough except I ruled out airports in my original posting.

Roland Perry July 23rd 09 09:31 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message , at 17:26:07 on
Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Christopher A. Lee remarked:
Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,

That was the guy I responded to, not I.

Yes, that's why it had two chevrons. I must have changed my mind and
deleted whatever my other comment was to yourself.

James Farrar July 24th 09 06:17 AM

Stations named after commercial entities

Tom Anderson wrote in
rth.li:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Four? I count either three or five: H123 and Heathrow Central; two T4s; and
a T5.

James Farrar July 24th 09 06:18 AM

Stations named after commercial entities

"David Morgan" wrote in
o.uk:

"James Farrar" wrote in message
. 1.4...
How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

Just plain central.

Really? Weird. Why do they have a second "e"?

James Farrar July 24th 09 06:18 AM

Stations named after commercial entities

Christopher A. Lee wrote in
:

wrote:

How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

"It"

Well done.

Arthur Figgis July 24th 09 06:58 AM

TimB wrote:
On Jul 23, 7:23 pm, James Farrar wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote :

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.
What's that named after?
The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination"http://www.centrale.co.uk
Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.

How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

And I was assuming it was meant to be Italian - Chentralay

That's one variant I've not heard. It also seems that the "innit" isn't
written :)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Neil Williams July 24th 09 07:30 AM

Stations named after commercial entities

On 24 Jul 2009 06:18:14 GMT, James Farrar
wrote:

Really? Weird. Why do they have a second "e"?

So it is trademarkable?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

David Cantrell July 24th 09 10:17 AM

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 06:35:07AM -0700, wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And it's not as if it's the only one either. How about "Cutty Sark for
Maritime Greenwich"? The station isn't called "Custom House for Excel",
it's Custom House, the "for Excel" bit being a useful description to
help the vast number of visitors who don't know the area and for whom
the name of the station isn't helpful.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
-- Fergus Henderson

Roland Perry July 24th 09 11:02 AM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message , at 11:17:19
on Fri, 24 Jul 2009, David Cantrell remarked:
I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And it's not as if it's the only one either. How about "Cutty Sark for
Maritime Greenwich"? The station isn't called "Custom House for Excel",
it's Custom House, the "for Excel" bit being a useful description to
help the vast number of visitors who don't know the area and for whom
the name of the station isn't helpful.

I was using a London Connections map which has the "for ExCel" on it.

Tom Anderson July 24th 09 01:48 PM

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Heathrow was a village on Hounslow Heath, which gave its name to the
airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...War_II_Map.jpg

Firstly, i believe that was called Heath Row, not Heathrow, and secondly,
the stations aren't named after the village, they're named after the
airport.

tom

--
Formal logical proofs, and therefore programs - formal logical proofs
that particular computations are possible, expressed in a formal system

Tom Anderson July 24th 09 01:49 PM

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:27:44 on Thu,
23 Jul 2009, Christopher A. Lee remarked:

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,

cough except I ruled out airports in my original posting.

Dear god man, you say that as if you expected me to read before posting!
The very idea!

tom

Tom Anderson July 24th 09 01:49 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, James Farrar wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in
rth.li:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Four? I count either three or five: H123 and Heathrow Central; two T4s;
and a T5.

Ah, i was single-counting the T4s. My bad.

tom

David July 24th 09 01:59 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

And it's not as if it's the only one either. *How about "Cutty Sark for
Maritime Greenwich"? *The station isn't called "Custom House for Excel",
it's Custom House, the "for Excel" bit being a useful description to
help the vast number of visitors who don't know the area and for whom
the name of the station isn't helpful.

Last time I was there it was called "Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich
for the University of Greenwich",
with the "CSfMG" in big.

bob[_2_] July 24th 09 02:28 PM

On 24 July, 08:58, Arthur Figgis wrote:
TimB wrote:
On Jul 23, 7:23 pm, James Farrar wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote :

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.
What's that named after?
The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination"http://www.centrale.co.uk
Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.
How do they say it in Milton Keynes?

And I was assuming it was meant to be Italian - Chentralay

That's one variant I've not heard. It also seems that the "innit" isn't
written :)

It's a while since I last visited Croydon, but in my mind's voice, I
always assumed that it would be pronounced "cent-rail".

Robin

Christopher A. Lee July 24th 09 03:18 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Basil Jet wrote:

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is
not the original, which is gone.

Wasn't that a cake shop rather than a pub? Oh, i see it was a pub before
that.

Anyway, everyones missed the most obvious example - Heathrow Airport,
which has not one but four stations named after it!

Heathrow was a village on Hounslow Heath, which gave its name to the
airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:He...War_II_Map.jpg

Firstly, i believe that was called Heath Row, not Heathrow, and secondly,

Not according to the map in the above URL.

Bruce[_2_] July 24th 09 04:02 PM

wrote:

Firstly, i believe that was called Heath Row, not Heathrow

Funny, I posted to that effect yesterday.

Recliner[_2_] July 24th 09 07:21 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

More correctly, the village/locality/whatever was named from an actual
"row" of houses alongside the Great West Road on Hounslow Heath. The
locality was apparently once especially notorious for highwaymen and
footpads.......

Presumably their descendants became baggage handlers at 'Thiefrow'?

Andy Kirkham[_2_] July 24th 09 09:42 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Jul 24, 7:06*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Christopher A.
Lee writes

wrote:

[...]

Might this be why the highwayman in the Beggars' Opera is named
Captain Macheath?

Andy