Old August 4th 09, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in
:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Not the first time. I believe the last Tory government polled fewer
votes than Labour.

No, the Conservatives in 1992 polled 14,093,007 votes (the largest
number ever cast for a single party) and Labour polled 11,560,484.

Though Blair/Brown polled less in 2005 (9,562,122) than Major did in 1997
(9,600,943) - this could be the statistic that Guy misremembered?
Old August 4th 09, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote in
:

On Aug 1, 4:39*pm, nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam
wrote:
OTOH carrying on with a policy regardless of all the evidence for
it be

ing a
bad idea and with cost cutting going on already in public transport
whi

ch
really didn't need the cost of a new fleet of buses imposed on top
smac

ks
of bloody mindedness at best. It seems Boris isn't a big enough man

admit
when he's wrong, so I suppose in that sense he's not at all rare in
pol

itical
circles.

It seems Boris is a big enough man to carry out one of the major
headline grabbing manifesto commitments that got him elected by the
majority of the voting electorate. If you don't like that, remember
you're in the minority.

Presumably you were also well in favour of the[*] US state
legislature that passed a law deeming the value of pi to be 4?

Was that a manifesto pledge?

Old August 11th 09, 03:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Lucas wrote:

The 29 is awfully busy along the whole route I feel, even after Manor
House it stays incredibly busy; and gets busier even because of the
big gap between Manor House and Turnpike Lane tube stations that is
Harringay.
The problem is simply Green Lanes itself which is ridiculously
congested and always the slowest part of the route, but I can't think
of much of an alternative, given that the only parallel road is also
quite busy (Wightman Rd)

Introduce a new bus from Piccadilly Circus via Portland Place, Hampstead
Road, Junction Road and Tottenham Lane to Wood Green, extended at night to
Enfield. It should be quicker than the 29 day and night, so it will get most
of the long distance traffic. Cut the frequency of the 29, and terminate it
at Wood Green day and night. No-one going from Wood Green to Camden will
ever have to suffer Green Lanes again.