Old October 22nd 03, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Stop name was Busses

"Andrew Black" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Every bus stop has a name written on it.

But it is not always the same as the name on the bus maps or front of
buses. And sometimes there are multiple stops with the same name.

I think those stops are given a letter too.

For example I wanted to get off at the bus stop on 484 called "Pepys Eoad"
on a spider map. When I got there found it was called "Kitto Road".

The stop that has historically been called "Dulwich Plough" after the pub
that was long called the Plough is marked on bus stops as that. But as the
termination point of the 40 routes it is "Dulwich Library".

I thought it all sounded too good to be true....

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 22nd 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Busses

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:11:02 +0100, Paul Weaver
wrote:

Personally I don't use the buses because they don't tell me where I am or
where I'm going to. Obviously a handy underground-style map is
near-impossible to print out in detail (although perhaps a small book
might work?), however some information about the route, the connecting
routes, and especially the underground/NR stations, would make a lot more
people use the buses IMHO

Like the bound-booklet Walthamstow Guide that is (was?) available?
(And guides for every other part of London - although haven't seen one
and haven't been looking for while.)

Part-sponsored by Time Out, they list local attractiions, tube, bus
and rail routes in detail and show connecting services.

Times on the routes would be good too - time from each stop to the next
one like many underground stations. Obviously that's hard because of the

Yep, in the booklet above.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old October 22nd 03, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:39:37 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:46:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Given that the derivation of "bus" is as an abbreviation of
"omnibus", I should b* well hope so.

Out of interest how to spelling-nazis spell the park named after St.
James?

Phrase that in a less offensive way and you might get an answer.

It might be a reference to popular cultu the "Seinfeld" series had
a "soup-nazi" in it who was rude and dogmatic. (This may not have been
the first use.) I know of many people who refer to
such-and-such--nazis and no-one takes offence.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old October 22nd 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:23:01 +0100, Paul Weaver
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:46:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Given that the derivation of "bus" is as an abbreviation of "omnibus", I
should b* well hope so.

Out of interest how to spelling-nazis spell the park named after St. James?

On-topic and back to Walthamstow I see. ;-)

There is St James's Street with St James Street Station on it, and St
James's Park nearby.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old October 22nd 03, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:46:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Given that the derivation of "bus" is as an abbreviation of
"omnibus", I should b* well hope so.

Out of interest how to spelling-nazis spell the park named after St.
James?

Phrase that in a less offensive way and you might get an answer.

It might be a reference to popular cultu the "Seinfeld" series had
a "soup-nazi" in it who was rude and dogmatic. (This may not have been
the first use.) I know of many people who refer to
such-and-such--nazis and no-one takes offence.

Maybe it's because my early years were dominated by the Second World War,
but any use of the word nazi for relatively trivial rudeness and dogma does
a disservice IMO to those who fought and died to rid the world of the
horrors of the true Nazis.

Anyway, it's St. James's Park. Since James is singular, the plural form
James' is incorrect, though LU manage to use it on just one of the platform
signs.
--
Richard J.

Old October 22nd 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

Kat wrote...

I'm not so sure it would particularly easy on London bus
routes; there are many stops that wouldn't be easy to name.
Stops at well known places; stations, large shops, pubs
and cinemas for sure, but what about all the
stops in not very memorable places?

Every bus stop has a name written on it.

Trouble is, bus stops on opposite sides of the road often have different
names. For instance, a local stop for eastbound services (routes 33,
337, etc) is named Queen's Road after the adjacent side road. But the
stop opposite, for westbound services, is named Gilpin Avenue after the
adjacent turning on that side of the main road.

The spider map gives only Queens Road, whatever the direction of travel
- very confusing for westbound passengers looking at bus-stop names!
--
Paul Terry
Old October 22nd 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Personally I don't use the buses because they don't tell
me where I am or where I'm going to. Obviously a handy
underground-style map is near-impossible to print out in
detail (although perhaps a small book might work?),
however some information about the route, the connecting
routes, and especially the underground/NR stations,
would make a lot more people use the buses IMHO

Like the bound-booklet Walthamstow Guide that is available?

Speaking of Walthamstow, the Central Library has a copy of the amazingly
comprehensive Berlin public transport guide from a few years ago. It blows
the socks off the Time Out area guides.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 22nd 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Oct 2003 06:06:49 GMT, Andrew Black wrote:

But it is not always the same as the name on the bus maps or front of
buses. And sometimes there are multiple stops with the same name.

IMO, there should be - a group of stops together should share the same
name and have "platform numbers" and clearly-defined interchange -
just like trains.

Recently, I was pleased to note that Merseytravel has put large (i.e.
visible from a fair distance) "platform numbers" on the stops at Old
Roan. This is helpful if you don't know which "platform" to go to,
but equally it is clear where you need to change if the name of the
overall "station" is the same.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.