Old July 24th 09, 10:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Airtrack update

BBC report that BAA have formally applied for their Transport and Works Act
order for Airtrack:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8167990.stm

The BAA Airtrack site has been updated with all the supporting info:

http://tinyurl.com/lv35fq

Paul S

Old July 25th 09, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24 July, 23:53, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
BBC report that BAA have formally applied for their Transport and Works Act
order for Airtrack:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8167990.stm

The BAA Airtrack site has been updated with all the supporting info:

http://tinyurl.com/lv35fq

Thanks - not much info on service platforms.

It seems air track could justify 12 carriage trains running out of the
old international platforms at Waterloo.

What else is planned for them?
Old July 26th 09, 05:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
,
disgoftunwells writes

It seems air track could justify 12 carriage trains running out of the
old international platforms at Waterloo.

What else is planned for them?

It is said that platform 20 may be used by SWT for Windsor line services
from this December, when the new timetable starts (although that was
supposed to have happened last December).

The other platforms will come back into use when SWT extends to 12-car
trains on the Reading line (and 10-car on suburban services), but this
won't be until 2012-14 because of infrastructure changes needed at the
station throat. I suspect that that will result in a period of severe
disruption at Waterloo, given that the approach tracks are already one
of the main pinch points on the entire SWT system. No pain, no gain ...
--
Paul Terry
Old July 26th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 06:29:42 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message
,
disgoftunwells writes

It seems air track could justify 12 carriage trains running out of the
old international platforms at Waterloo.

What else is planned for them?

It is said that platform 20 may be used by SWT for Windsor line services
from this December, when the new timetable starts (although that was
supposed to have happened last December).

The other platforms will come back into use when SWT extends to 12-car
trains on the Reading line (and 10-car on suburban services), but this
won't be until 2012-14 because of infrastructure changes needed at the
station throat. I suspect that that will result in a period of severe
disruption at Waterloo, given that the approach tracks are already one
of the main pinch points on the entire SWT system. No pain, no gain ...

The confined station throat is quite graphically illustrated in this
video. Use Ctrl+ to make it appear bigger in your browser window:

http://tinyurl.com/waterloo-throat
or:
http://www.aerialvideolibrary.co.uk/...ducts/AVL00125
Old July 26th 09, 12:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:13:37 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

The confined station throat is quite graphically illustrated in this
video. Use Ctrl+ to make it appear bigger in your browser window:

http://tinyurl.com/waterloo-throat
or:
http://www.aerialvideolibrary.co.uk/...ducts/AVL00125

Also he
http://www.earthplacemarks.com/placemark.aspx?id=8479

Old July 26th 09, 12:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 July, 06:29, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
,
disgoftunwells writes

It seems air track could justify 12 carriage trains running out of the
old international platforms at Waterloo.

What else is planned for them?

It is said that platform 20 may be used by SWT for Windsor line services
from this December, when the new timetable starts (although that was
supposed to have happened last December).

The other platforms will come back into use when SWT extends to 12-car
trains on the Reading line (and 10-car on suburban services), but this
won't be until 2012-14 because of infrastructure changes needed at the
station throat. I suspect that that will result in a period of severe
disruption at Waterloo, given that the approach tracks are already one
of the main pinch points on the entire SWT system. No pain, no gain ...

I would have thought that the main work would be moving several
crossovers so that trains on the up main could get beyond platform 15,
and corresponding shifts towards the north, or else congestion would
be worse than ever with lots more use of crossovers further down the
track.

Also, I wonder if it would make sense to take platform 20 out of use
so that 19 could be extended?
Old July 26th 09, 04:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 26, 1:50*pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

Do you mean take platform 18 out of use? Platform 19 already has track
the full length of the platform face and the track is actually
slightly longer than platforms 20-24. However, it has a crossover two
thirds of the way along allow access from the Windsor Reversible to
platform 18.
Old July 26th 09, 05:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 July, 17:12, Andy wrote:
On Jul 26, 1:50*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Oh right, maybe I'm out of date or confused.

I thought 19 was only eight coaches long because there was no platform
against the back of platform 20 at the country end. If it's only
because of the crossover ... or if it isn't really restricted to
eight ... Now I can't work out how 18 manages to be longer.
Old July 26th 09, 06:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 26, 6:54*pm, MIG wrote:
On 26 July, 17:12, Andy wrote:

On Jul 26, 1:50*pm, MIG wrote:

[...]

Actually, I don't know why 18 manages 12 car, but 19 is down as 8 car.
I've had longer trains that 8 coaches in platform 19. For example a
2+9 HST to Reading via Ascot during engineering work (and I think the
Eurostar connection HSTs also generally used 19); I think this went
via the Windsor reversible . The platform face for 19 goes all the way
to the end of the Eurostar platforms although it is very narrow at the
country end and it maybe that it was only checked for multiples of 4
coaches when it was surveyed.
Old July 26th 09, 08:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Andy wrote on 26 July 2009 19:04:53 ...
On Jul 26, 6:54 pm, MIG wrote:

I thought 19 was only eight coaches long because there was no platform
against the back of platform 20 at the country end. If it's only
because of the crossover ... or if it isn't really restricted to
eight ... Now I can't work out how 18 manages to be longer.

Actually, I don't know why 18 manages 12 car, but 19 is down as 8 car.
I've had longer trains that 8 coaches in platform 19. For example a
2+9 HST to Reading via Ascot during engineering work (and I think the
Eurostar connection HSTs also generally used 19); I think this went
via the Windsor reversible . The platform face for 19 goes all the way
to the end of the Eurostar platforms although it is very narrow at the
country end and it maybe that it was only checked for multiples of 4
coaches when it was surveyed.

IIRC the country end of platform 19 has "Do not alight here" signs (or
similar), so perhaps it's officially non-compliant at that end.
--
Richard J.