Old July 25th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electric EEL, sorry ELL

The power on the ELL goes live on 1 August, according to a warning
telling me to keep off the tracks that arrived today.

There's a newsletter too with some pics including one with a reference
to 'one of the most complex pieces of track design in the UK' * looks
like a simple cross-over to me.

E.

Old July 25th 09, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:58:32 +0100, eastender
wrote:

The power on the ELL goes live on 1 August, according to a warning
telling me to keep off the tracks that arrived today.

There's a newsletter too with some pics including one with a reference
to 'one of the most complex pieces of track design in the UK' * looks
like a simple cross-over to me.

Is the newsletter called "East London Line News" and published by the
consortium doing the construction work?

I wish they'd formally publish these on the web. I've only seen a couple
that someone scanned in to their own website. Seems a real shame not to
give proper web access to this info. It's not every day we have a new
railway built in London.

When are the 378s due to go into revenue service, by the way, and what
kind of power modes will they have?

Old July 26th 09, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 1:58*pm, eastender wrote:
The power on the ELL goes live on 1 August, according to a warning
telling me to keep off the tracks that arrived today.

That's good news. I passed over some bits of the line on the way to
Lewisham and was thinking how odd the new mainly aluminium conductor
rails looked compared to the running rails. But everything did look
ready for use. It's quite strange seeing the depot at New Cross
disconnected and abandoned, especially considering how many class 378s
will be arriving.

Old July 26th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The power on the ELL goes live on 1 August, according to a warning
telling me to keep off the tracks that arrived today.

There's a newsletter too with some pics including one with a reference
to 'one of the most complex pieces of track design in the UK' * looks
like a simple cross-over to me.

Is the newsletter called "East London Line News" and published by the
consortium doing the construction work?

I wish they'd formally publish these on the web. I've only seen a couple
that someone scanned in to their own website. Seems a real shame not to
give proper web access to this info. It's not every day we have a new
railway built in London.

When are the 378s due to go into revenue service, by the way, and what
kind of power modes will they have?

It always seems to be next week!! The first deliveries will be both
25kV AC overhead and 3rd 750V DC 3rd rail power supplies. All the
information that I can find has the ELL units as 750V DC 3rd rail
only, but we shall see. There are 5 units at Willesden being
commisioned, but none have been accepted yet. There are many more
units in Derby awaiting delivery.
Old July 26th 09, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

Is the newsletter called "East London Line News" and published by the
consortium doing the construction work?

I wish they'd formally publish these on the web. I've only seen a couple
that someone scanned in to their own website. Seems a real shame not to
give proper web access to this info. It's not every day we have a new
railway built in London.

Yes, that's the newsletter. The one that's out now is issue 8 (July
2009). I've called and spoken to someone (who amazingly answered the
phone yesterday) who said she'll look into putting them online.

Not that there's an awful lot in it on the actual project - three small
pics of the route; a page on safety; a school art competition and where
an ELL exhibition is going (architects models); a page on Surrey Quays
history; and a short item on the London Transport Museum looking to
collect stuff related to the ELL.

E.

Old July 26th 09, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

They want to have a word with the Gautrain people, who have the website,
e-mails, Facebook page, Tweeting, and all the other bells and whistles
2.0-with-knobs-on which the kids of today have on their interwebs.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 27th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

The first two were rumoured to go into service about 10 days ago. They
didn't. There are all sorts of comments flying around as to why they
didn't but it seems like paperwork is the issue. There are apparently
several units ready to start service having accumulated sufficient fault
free running. As others have said more units are at Willesden awaiting
preparation and enough trained drivers while even more are stacked up at
Derby.

The 378s under delivery now are dual voltage for overhead and third rail
current collection. The fleet for the East London Line are DC only.

I see. But is it safe to say there's really no difference between the
378s that will run on the East London Line and those that will run on
the North London line, save for the fact that one part of the fleet will
have a pantographs mounted on their roofs?

Old July 29th 09, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 28, 11:06*am, "Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,
() wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

The first two were rumoured to go into service about 10 days ago.
They didn't. There are all sorts of comments flying around as to
why they didn't but it seems like paperwork is the issue. *There
are apparently several units ready to start service having
accumulated sufficient fault free running. As others have said more
units are at Willesden awaiting preparation and enough trained
drivers while even more are stacked up at Derby.

The 378s under delivery now are dual voltage for overhead and third
rail current collection. The fleet for the East London Line are DC
only.

I see. But is it safe to say there's really no difference between
the 378s that will run on the East London Line and those that will
run on the North London line, save for the fact that one part of
the fleet will have a pantographs mounted on their roofs?

and transformers. If they are not needed, quite a bit of weight will
be saved, and the energy needed to carry them around unnecessarily.

Also, initially the NLL fleet will only have three carriages, whereas
the ELL fleet is 4 car from day one.

For the record, when I asked TfL to confirm the date they're turning
the juice on, they said the 9th August to me.