London Banter

-   -   Tube passing expensive houses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/880-tube-passing-expensive-houses.html)

Hatty Ling October 21st 03 11:55 AM

Tube passing expensive houses

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

Ben Nunn October 21st 03 01:43 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Steve Naïve ), in
message who said:
(Hatty Ling) wrote in
om:

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I
can think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before
East Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the
bridge.

Any other examples?

District and Circle from approx Victoria round to Paddington (running
underneath and behind some VERY expensive houses). Anyone remember
the furore from some residents in Notting Hill / Pembroke Square about
increased vibration in their houses - you could see the pots and pans
swinging about in the kitchen).

Well, one can't expect the butler and the cook to work in such abominable
conditions.

BTN

Gerard McGovern October 21st 03 02:33 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

The obvious one is Moor Park where the Metropolitan line (and Chiltern Line)
go straight through the estate.

paul October 21st 03 02:35 PM

On 21 Oct 2003 04:55 (Hatty Ling) wrote:

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

Metropolitan at Moor Park (very little under GBP 1m.); both the Watford
spur ending at Cassiobury Park and the stretch from Rickmansworth
through Chorleywood to the Chalfonts pass fairly close to properties in
the region of GBP 0.5m to 1m. plus.

--
paul (C) © 2003 is mine

Pre-38 October 21st 03 03:20 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

"paul" wrote in message
.net...
On 21 Oct 2003 04:55 (Hatty Ling) wrote:

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

Hell, why, what immediately comes to mind is the Chigwell - Roding Valley
section who had a bloke living in a house that backed on to the Cental Line
up there, on the outer road, who, before ATO days used to regularly
complain about the 20mph speed restriction, as it was then, being constantly
flouted (sometimes deliberately by the drivers to get his back up who also
used to try and make his life even more miserable by blowing their
whistles!). Although he didn't actually live in one of the 'millionaires
row' kind of property that exists nearby (swimming pools at the ready) he
acted as though he was the only person that ever who backed on to a railway
line. Could you imagine the speed restrictions if every house that backed on
to a railway line had the right to dampen down rail noise? the whole of
london and the rest of the country for that matter would grind to a halt!
Anyway this self-interest old moaner used to make life a right misery for
the station staff at Grange Hill, they once told me. He's gone now, probably
dead I dunno, but he had some 'clout' as it was rumoured he was on the
London Underground Users Consultative Committee thing and was a councillor
up there to boot. On one occasion many years ago now of course, I clearly
recall, they arranged with the Central Line Line Manager, a speed gun of the
kind that is used for traffic and he held it out at the bottom of his garden
to catch passing trains! No word of a lie, that IS gospel because a lot of
drivers were repremanded as a result.

--
regards,
Pre`38 tube [DR]

Roland Perry October 21st 03 03:23 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

In message , Hatty Ling
writes
I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

I'd have thought that the District Line in the region of Wimbledon, and
Kew/Richmond, would be passing a number of very expensive (if not
excessively luxurious) houses.

Peter Zinckgraf October 21st 03 03:56 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

Hi there,

Hatty Ling wrote:

I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses?

We thought about moving to London a few years ago, and even then _all_
houses that were close to the underground (i.e. its stations) tended to
be very expensive. ;-)

Have a nice one,
Peter

--
Opinions expressed in this posting do not necessarily reflect my
employers' opinions. That's what they love me for.

Roland Perry October 21st 03 05:35 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

In message , Peter Zinckgraf
writes
We thought about moving to London a few years ago, and even then _all_
houses that were close to the underground (i.e. its stations) tended to
be very expensive. ;-)

There is "expensive" and "expensive for what they are"
[accommodation-wise].

In the context of the OP's question, I guess we are talking about houses
(of any kind) over 3/4 million.

umpston October 21st 03 08:36 PM

(Hatty Ling) wrote in message . com...
I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

Most houses in London are very expensive these days. Incidentally,
the Central Line tube tunnels pass right underneath my sister's house
and I can hear (or feel) the trains when I stay there, especially
first thing in the morning when that 'something' disturbs my sleep.
She also has the Docklands Light Railway at the bottom of her back
garden and a bus garage opposite the front!

dave F October 21st 03 08:58 PM

Tube passing expensive houses

Hatty Ling wrote in message
om...
I was thinking of people could come up with examples of where the
underground is in close proximity to very expensive houses? One I can
think of is when the Northern Line comes overground just before East
Finchley, you can see the start of 'Millionaires Row' from the bridge.

Any other examples?

Putney? District line

Moor Park - Met line