London Banter

-   -   Kensington Olympia question (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/881-kensington-olympia-question.html)

Hatty Ling October 21st 03 11:57 AM

Kensington Olympia question

I'm currently living near Kensington Olympia and I'm confused why it
seems to be the only station on the underground network which has no
ticket barrier? Why is this the case? Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

Jason October 21st 03 12:14 PM

Kensington Olympia question

On 21 Oct 2003 04:57:11 -0700, (Hatty Ling)
wrote:

I'm currently living near Kensington Olympia and I'm confused why it
seems to be the only station on the underground network which has no
ticket barrier? Why is this the case? Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

Others don't have ticket barriers. Finsbury Park is one example.

Not sure, but it might have something to do with it being owned or
managed by a TOC, rather than TFL.

Cheers,

Jason.

Ian October 21st 03 08:23 PM

Kensington Olympia question

Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

I'm a bit confused with Olympia too. Is this station a London Terminal or
not? Some people in ticket offices say it is and others say it is not, can
anyone here shed any light on it?

Andrew Oldham October 21st 03 09:57 PM

Kensington Olympia question

"Hatty Ling" wrote in message
om...
I'm currently living near Kensington Olympia and I'm confused why it
seems to be the only station on the underground network which has no
ticket barrier? Why is this the case? Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

I have noticed RPIs at the gates in the past when there are exhibitions or
events taking place at Olympia.

Terry Harper October 21st 03 11:51 PM

"Ian" wrote in message
Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

I'm a bit confused with Olympia too. Is this station a London Terminal or
not? Some people in ticket offices say it is and others say it is not, can
anyone here shed any light on it?

Since you can travel through Olympia on a "Not London" ticket, it would
appear not.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Johnny Mo October 22nd 03 11:20 AM

(Hatty Ling) wrote in message . com...
I'm currently living near Kensington Olympia and I'm confused why it
seems to be the only station on the underground network which has no
ticket barrier? Why is this the case? Is it to do with the other
rail companies that use the station (Silverlink, South Central and
Virgin) not wanting some form of revenue protection?

My understanding is all Zone 1 and selected other stations have automatic gates.

Jack Taylor October 22nd 03 12:13 PM

Kensington Olympia question

"Johnny Mo" wrote in message
om...
(Hatty Ling) wrote in message

. com...

My understanding is all Zone 1 and selected other stations have automatic

gates.

That may be true of London Underground owned stations. However, Kensington
Olympia is not a London Underground owned station. It is a National Rail
station with a platform that is used for London Underground District line
services.

Clive D. W. Feather October 22nd 03 01:26 PM

Kensington Olympia question

In article , Ian
writes
I'm a bit confused with Olympia too. Is this station a London Terminal or
not?

In ticketing/routeing terms? It is not.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Stephen Furley October 22nd 03 06:38 PM

Kensington Olympia question

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

That may be true of London Underground owned stations. However, Kensington
Olympia is not a London Underground owned station. It is a National Rail
station with a platform that is used for London Underground District line
services.

Kensington Olympia is in zone 2.