London Banter

-   -   Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8827-plans-old-kings-cross-thameslink.html)

1506 July 29th 09 11:21 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

On Jul 29, 3:28*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
Now that the new station beneath St Pancras is open, is the intention to use
the old Thameslink station for something completely different (eg not
railway-related) and to remove / fill in the platforms? Or will it be left
as an emergency evacuation route?

Given the state of other unused stations on busy lines, e.g. St John's
Wood Metropolitan I think it is unlikely that the platform space will
be reclaimed. However, given the location I think it would make a
great of sense to sink some large supporting pillars thru the old
platforms in order to construct some retail and office space above.
The airspace here would seem to be reasonably "high value".

By the way, why are the signs in St Pancras for "First Capital Connect"
rather than the more well-known name "Thameslink"? Surely the description of
the *route* is far more important than the name of the current franchise
holder?

Pitiful, the whole system is pitiful.

Tom Anderson July 31st 09 12:39 PM

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 29, 3:28*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
Now that the new station beneath St Pancras is open, is the intention to use
the old Thameslink station for something completely different (eg not
railway-related) and to remove / fill in the platforms? Or will it be left
as an emergency evacuation route?

Given the state of other unused stations on busy lines, e.g. St John's
Wood Metropolitan I think it is unlikely that the platform space will
be reclaimed. However, given the location I think it would make a
great of sense to sink some large supporting pillars thru the old
platforms in order to construct some retail and office space above.
The airspace here would seem to be reasonably "high value".

At the moment, it's got a rubbish bar on top of it; it wouldn't seem to be
particularly high-value just yet. Doubtless, as King's Cross becomes more
desirable, it will.

tom

--
How did i get here?

Roland Perry July 31st 09 02:48 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In message . li, at
13:39:03 on Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:
The airspace here would seem to be reasonably "high value".

At the moment, it's got a rubbish bar on top of it; it wouldn't seem to
be particularly high-value just yet. Doubtless, as King's Cross becomes
more desirable, it will.

It's a bit (metaphorically) low-rent around there at the moment. One of
the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station. And much of the rest of
the area is alleyways and the backs of Victorian terraces.

1506 July 31st 09 03:09 PM

On Jul 31, 5:39*am, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, 1506 wrote:
[...]

To the west on Euston road there is some high value property. To the
south is the west end, Bloomsbury, etc. With the developments around
KX, St P. it is only a matter of time before Pentonvile Rd perks up!

Chris Tolley[_2_] July 31st 09 04:23 PM

Roland Perry wrote:

One of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station.

Cheap, but not necessarily nasty. I've stayed there.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683628.html
(Class 101 set 54343/51189 seen *twice* after rain at Chester in 1985)

Roland Perry July 31st 09 04:32 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In message , at 17:23:13 on
Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Chris Tolley remarked:
One of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station.

Cheap, but not necessarily nasty. I've stayed there.

The Farringdon one has much nastier rooms, but the noise if you overlook
the station is incredible (tube trains as well as Thameslink, of
course).

Richard Hunt July 31st 09 07:58 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

On 31/07/2009 at 15:48:56 Roland Perry (%mail)wrote: in
uk.railway

In message . li, at
13:39:03 on Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:
The airspace here would seem to be reasonably "high value".

At the moment, it's got a rubbish bar on top of it; it wouldn't
seem to be particularly high-value just yet. Doubtless, as King's
Cross becomes more desirable, it will.

It's a bit (metaphorically) low-rent around there at the moment. One
of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station. And much of the
rest of the area is alleyways and the backs of Victorian terraces.

A little bit north of there, and a bit west too is the lovely shiny
King's Place development - see http://www.kingsplace.co.uk for details.
Gallery, concert hall, bar and cafe overlooking the canal basin.

--

Richard Hunt

nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam August 1st 09 03:36 PM

On 31 July, 20:58, " Richard Hunt" wrote:
It's a bit (metaphorically) low-rent around there at the moment. One
of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station. And much of the
rest of the area is alleyways and the backs of Victorian terraces.

A little bit north of there, and a bit west too is the lovely shiny
King's Place development - seehttp://www.kingsplace.co.ukfor details.
Gallery, concert hall, bar and cafe overlooking the canal basin.

The former surface station would be a great spot to build housing (and
still allowing a narrower frontage for an emergency tube exit). "low-
rent" from a building isn't something that landlords would be too
worried about if the result of doing nothing is "no rent at all".

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused. I'm sure they could do something useful with that, even if
its just adding a glossy entrance to the lighthouse building so you
don't need to cross that road junction.

[email protected] August 1st 09 04:45 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In article
,

(nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam) wrote:

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused. I'm sure they could do something useful with that, even if
its just adding a glossy entrance to the lighthouse building so you
don't need to cross that road junction.

Is there? I don't remember that anytime since KXTL reopened in the 80s.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry August 1st 09 05:37 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In message
, at
08:36:43 on Sat, 1 Aug 2009, nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam
remarked:
On 31 July, 20:58, " Richard Hunt" wrote:
It's a bit (metaphorically) low-rent around there at the moment. One
of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station. And much of the
rest of the area is alleyways and the backs of Victorian terraces.

A little bit north of there, and a bit west too is the lovely shiny
King's Place development - seehttp://www.kingsplace.co.ukfor details.
Gallery, concert hall, bar and cafe overlooking the canal basin.

The former surface station would be a great spot to build housing (and
still allowing a narrower frontage for an emergency tube exit).

It's useful as a proper tube exit too.

"low- rent" from a building isn't something that landlords would be too
worried about if the result of doing nothing is "no rent at all".

"Low rent" is a metaphor. Other expressions are a bit more anglo saxon.

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused.

Isn't that the tunnel which will be the main passageway from the
northern ticket hall to the Piccadilly and Victoria Line platforms.
See the sections near the "5" marks he

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam August 1st 09 06:04 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused.

Isn't that the tunnel which will be the main passageway from the
northern ticket hall to the Piccadilly and Victoria Line platforms.
See the sections near the "5" marks he

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

No. Its the one just below the surface, its not a tube, its
rectangular. Here are some pictures -

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross51.jpg

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross52.jpg

this is where its sealed off:

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross55.jpg

Mortimer August 1st 09 06:08 PM

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
08:36:43 on Sat, 1 Aug 2009, nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam
remarked:
There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused.

Isn't that the tunnel which will be the main passageway from the northern
ticket hall to the Piccadilly and Victoria Line platforms.
See the sections near the "5" marks he

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

Do you have a more legible version of that map? It's a bit (!) hard to read.

I'd always thought that the tunnel ran further south-west and came out near
position 1 labelled "Kings Cross Mainline (ECML)". But I could be wrong:
it's a while since I used that tunnel because it was not very well
signposted from the KX Thameslink station (or else I kept missing the
signs!) and it was easier (even if slower) to come up to surface level and
cross Pentonville Road.

Roland Perry August 1st 09 08:08 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In message , at
19:08:57 on Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Mortimer remarked:

Isn't that the tunnel which will be the main passageway from the
northern ticket hall to the Piccadilly and Victoria Line platforms.
See the sections near the "5" marks he

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

Do you have a more legible version of that map? It's a bit (!) hard to read.

It's a combination of maps, and I'm afraid that's as good as it gets.

It shows what will e there when the rebuilding is finished (not what was
there before). However, east of the Victoria Line the foot tunnel (not
actually shown) follows the same route to the Thameslink station as it
used to (emerges at the bottom of the escalator up to ground level).

I'd always thought that the tunnel ran further south-west and came out
near position 1 labelled "Kings Cross Mainline (ECML)". But I could be
wrong: it's a while since I used that tunnel because it was not very
well signposted from the KX Thameslink station (or else I kept missing
the signs!) and it was easier (even if slower) to come up to surface
level and cross Pentonville Road.

I don't remember where the foot tunnel went west of the Piccadilly line
- did it carry on as far as the Northern Line platforms, or not carry on
at all?

The section between the Victoria and Piccadilly has been given a
diversion round something, in recent years.

asdf August 2nd 09 01:39 AM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:36:43 -0700 (PDT), nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam
wrote:

It's a bit (metaphorically) low-rent around there at the moment. One
of the cheapest Travelodges overlooks the station. And much of the
rest of the area is alleyways and the backs of Victorian terraces.

A little bit north of there, and a bit west too is the lovely shiny
King's Place development - seehttp://www.kingsplace.co.ukfor details.
Gallery, concert hall, bar and cafe overlooking the canal basin.

The former surface station would be a great spot to build housing (and
still allowing a narrower frontage for an emergency tube exit). "low-
rent" from a building isn't something that landlords would be too
worried about if the result of doing nothing is "no rent at all".

It is if the buildings (and landords) don't exist yet - the result of
doing nothing is "no cost at all".

DW downunder August 2nd 09 02:57 PM

wrote in message
There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused.

Isn't that the tunnel which will be the main passageway from the
northern ticket hall to the Piccadilly and Victoria Line platforms.
See the sections near the "5" marks he

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-com...with-lifts.jpg

No. Its the one just below the surface, its not a tube, its
rectangular. Here are some pictures -

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross51.jpg

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross52.jpg

this is where its sealed off:

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ngsCross55.jpg

And do you have something which could help us locate it from the side of the
active area of the station?

Cheers

DW downunder

Peter Masson[_2_] August 2nd 09 03:11 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

"nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam"
wrote

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused. I'm sure they could do something useful with that, even if
its just adding a glossy entrance to the lighthouse building so you
don't need to cross that road junction.

When was it last in use? I imagine that after the Met and Circle lines moved
to their new station there wouldn't have been all that much interchange
to/from Great Northern suburban and Midland trains at Kings Cross Met (aka
KX Thameslink), although some passengers must have continued to change to
the tube lines. But IIRC the tunnel between KX Thameslink and the tube
station didn't open until the BedPan electrics started.

Peter

Peter Lawrence[_2_] August 2nd 09 05:27 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:11:06 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam"
wrote

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused. I'm sure they could do something useful with that, even if
its just adding a glossy entrance to the lighthouse building so you
don't need to cross that road junction.

When was it last in use? I imagine that after the Met and Circle lines moved
to their new station there wouldn't have been all that much interchange
to/from Great Northern suburban and Midland trains at Kings Cross Met (aka
KX Thameslink), although some passengers must have continued to change to
the tube lines. But IIRC the tunnel between KX Thameslink and the tube
station didn't open until the BedPan electrics started.

I believe that tunnel ceased public use in 1940 when the old
Met/Circle station was perforce closed. I assume it does not extend
to the east of Kings Cross Bridge, where there are remains of a
station entrance, and so could not serve the former Pentonville Road
station or its Thameslink successor. (It would have avoided a horrid
walking route!)
--
Peter Lawrence

[email protected] August 2nd 09 05:43 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In article ,
(Peter Masson) wrote:

"nospam_lonelytraveller_nospam"
wrote

There's a wide sub surface walkway to just in front of kings cross
station from the overbridge at the former station, and its currently
disused. I'm sure they could do something useful with that, even if
its just adding a glossy entrance to the lighthouse building so you
don't need to cross that road junction.

When was it last in use? I imagine that after the Met and Circle
lines moved to their new station there wouldn't have been all that
much interchange to/from Great Northern suburban and Midland trains
at Kings Cross Met (aka KX Thameslink), although some passengers
must have continued to change to the tube lines.

How much traffic was there at the Widened Lines platforms after 1941? I'd
never heard of this passageway before this thread.

But IIRC the
tunnel between KX Thameslink and the tube station didn't open until
the BedPan electrics started.

I thought it was only constructed then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] August 2nd 09 08:41 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
I don't remember where the foot tunnel went west of the Piccadilly line
- did it carry on as far as the Northern Line platforms, or not carry
on at all?

Not at all. It was to connect the Piccadilly to the Midland station.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

[email protected] August 2nd 09 09:00 PM

Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

In article , (Clive
D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
I don't remember where the foot tunnel went west of the Piccadilly line
- did it carry on as far as the Northern Line platforms, or not carry
on at all?

Not at all. It was to connect the Piccadilly to the Midland station.

What do you mean by "the Midland station"? The Widened Lines platforms?

--
Colin Rosenstiel