London Banter

-   -   Closure of Liverpool Street this morning (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/892-closure-liverpool-street-morning.html)

Nicholas F Hodder October 25th 03 12:22 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:43:47 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

[big snip]
How can the trains clear the backlog if they are going through the

station
without stopping?

of course the trains were stopping. They just weren't letting anyone
*into* the station. That way the queue on the platform is progressively
cleared. The station was only closed for 6 minutes according to the
report that I read.

Why were station staff at Bethnal Green and train drivers announcing
specifically that westbound trains were not be stopping at Liverpool Street
then?

Roland Perry October 25th 03 05:49 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

In message , Nicholas F
Hodder writes
Why were station staff at Bethnal Green and train drivers announcing
specifically that westbound trains were not be stopping at Liverpool Street
then?

For the same reason staff at Waterloo deny that virtually every train
that departs will stop at Clapham Common. To stop people getting on!!

Nicholas F Hodder October 25th 03 06:23 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Nicholas F
Hodder writes
Why were station staff at Bethnal Green and train drivers announcing
specifically that westbound trains were not be stopping at Liverpool

Street
then?

For the same reason staff at Waterloo deny that virtually every train
that departs will stop at Clapham Common. To stop people getting on!!

So are you saying that station staff and train drivers involved are liars
and have a policy of deliberate misinformation?

Paul Weaver October 25th 03 06:41 PM

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:23:39 +0100, Nicholas F Hodder wrote:

So are you saying that station staff and train drivers involved are liars
and have a policy of deliberate misinformation?

Hard to believe isnt it!/irony

Roland Perry October 25th 03 06:47 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

In message , Nicholas F
Hodder writes
For the same reason staff at Waterloo deny that virtually every train
that departs will stop at Clapham Common. To stop people getting on!!

So are you saying that station staff and train drivers involved are liars
and have a policy of deliberate misinformation?

There appears to be a policy of disinformation regarding Clapham
Junction, yes. Probably Watford Junction too (for northbound former
Intercity services). There is also deliberate misinformation at Kings
Cross regarding the destination of certain trains. They announce
"Foxton" when the train actually goes to Cambridge. In all cases they
appear to believe that the level of misinformation is justified in the
Great Scheme Of Things.

Paul October 25th 03 06:56 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In all cases they appear to believe that the level of
misinformation is justified in
the Great Scheme Of Things.

In the days of the Goon Show there was a "Ministry of Certain Things"! -)

Paul

--
"Some day my ship will come in - and with
my luck I'll be at the airport!"

Paul Weaver October 25th 03 07:14 PM

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:47:57 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Junction, yes. Probably Watford Junction too (for northbound former

Ahh, the wonderful "Stops to pick up only" things on the timetable :D
Still, stops commuters from stealing my seat when I go upto Manchester.

Bob Adams October 25th 03 08:36 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:47:57 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Junction, yes. Probably Watford Junction too (for northbound former

Ahh, the wonderful "Stops to pick up only" things on the timetable :D
Still, stops commuters from stealing my seat when I go upto Manchester.

Doesn't work around here. Several WAGN trains out of Kings X are marked
as "u" for Finsbury Park but I always have quite a wait when boarding at
FP whilst a large number of passengers alight. The FP platform staff
take no notice (or action) so the "u" designation seems pointless.
--
Bob Adams

Paul Weaver October 25th 03 08:56 PM

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:36:30 +0100, Bob Adams wrote:
Doesn't work around here. Several WAGN trains out of Kings X are marked
as "u" for Finsbury Park but I always have quite a wait when boarding at
FP whilst a large number of passengers alight. The FP platform staff
take no notice (or action) so the "u" designation seems pointless.

Heh, shame ticket inspecters on the train are too busy reading the paper
then checking tickets. I got the train back from Exeter last week, didn't
have my ticket checked at all, so I've still got it, it's valid for
another 3 weeks.

Robin May October 25th 03 09:16 PM

Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

Bob Adams wrote the following in:

In message , Paul
Weaver writes
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:47:57 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Junction, yes. Probably Watford Junction too (for northbound
former

Ahh, the wonderful "Stops to pick up only" things on the timetable
:D Still, stops commuters from stealing my seat when I go upto
Manchester.

Doesn't work around here. Several WAGN trains out of Kings X are
marked as "u" for Finsbury Park but I always have quite a wait
when boarding at FP whilst a large number of passengers alight.
The FP platform staff take no notice (or action) so the "u"
designation seems pointless.

I agree that the designation is pointless. I also don't see what action
they can take. "Oi, you! GET BACK ON THAT TRAIN! You aren't allowed off
it here!"

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.