Old August 7th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fare enquiry

Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:

1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.

2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.

TIA,

Ian

Old August 7th 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 1:34*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:

1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.

2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is £2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.
Old August 7th 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Deutsch" wrote in message

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is £2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.

+++++++++++

Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.

Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)

Ian

Old August 7th 09, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 7 Aug, 16:41, "Ian F." wrote:
"Martin Deutsch" wrote in message

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is £2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.

+++++++++++

Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.

Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)

Ian

Ang on, that's not quite right. You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's £1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.

Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save £1.20.
Old August 8th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message

Ang on, that's not quite right. You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's £1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.

Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save £1.20.

++++++++++++

I was using zones 1-3 and reckon I got good value out of my Travelcard. If
it could cure the hangover that would be even better. ;-)

Ian

Old August 18th 09, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 4:36*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:34*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:

1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.

2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, [...]

^^^ I'm guessing that the nonsensical phrase "and a Victoria" in teh
above sentence isn't supposed to be there, right?!

[...] and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is £2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.

Agreed.
Old August 18th 09, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 7, 5:04 pm, MIG wrote:

On 7 Aug, 16:41, "Ian F." wrote:

"Martin Deutsch" wrote:

[...]

Eh? If "everything [else] today" were to take place in zones 1&2, and
the only non-PAYG journey was Victoria to Clapham Jn (which is zone 1
and zone 2 respectively), then surely the OP wouldn't have even
mentioned zones 3 and 4. Am I being stupid, or were you thinking that
Clapham Jn was in zone 3 or something?