London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 7th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2006
Posts: 273
Default Fare enquiry

Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:

1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.

2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.

TIA,

Ian

--



  #2   Report Post  
Old August 7th 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 36
Default Fare enquiry

On Aug 7, 1:34*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:

1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.

2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.
  #3   Report Post  
Old August 7th 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2006
Posts: 273
Default Fare enquiry

"Martin Deutsch" wrote in message
...

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.

+++++++++++

Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.

Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)

Ian

  #4   Report Post  
Old August 7th 09, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default Fare enquiry

On 7 Aug, 16:41, "Ian F." wrote:
"Martin Deutsch" wrote in message

...

It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.

+++++++++++

Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.

Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)

Ian


Ang on, that's not quite right. You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's 1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.

Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save 1.20.
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 8th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2006
Posts: 273
Default Fare enquiry

"MIG" wrote in message
...

Ang on, that's not quite right. You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's 1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.

Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save 1.20.

++++++++++++

I was using zones 1-3 and reckon I got good value out of my Travelcard. If
it could cure the hangover that would be even better. ;-)

Ian



  #6   Report Post  
Old August 18th 09, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default Fare enquiry


On Aug 7, 4:36*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:34*pm, "Ian F." wrote:
Would anyone happen to know - and please don't go to a lot of trouble to
find out - which option would be cheaper:


1. Using my Oyster PAYG for everything today, except a single journey from
Victoria to Clapham Junction that I have to do for which I would buy a paper
ticket.


2. Buying a Z1-4 Travelcard and using that all day.


It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, [...]


^^^ I'm guessing that the nonsensical phrase "and a Victoria" in teh
above sentence isn't supposed to be there, right?!

[...] and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.


Agreed.
  #7   Report Post  
Old August 18th 09, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default Fare enquiry


On Aug 7, 5:04 pm, MIG wrote:

On 7 Aug, 16:41, "Ian F." wrote:

"Martin Deutsch" wrote:


It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.


+++++++++++


Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.


Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)


Ang on, that's not quite right. You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's 1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.

Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save 1.20.


Eh? If "everything [else] today" were to take place in zones 1&2, and
the only non-PAYG journey was Victoria to Clapham Jn (which is zone 1
and zone 2 respectively), then surely the OP wouldn't have even
mentioned zones 3 and 4. Am I being stupid, or were you thinking that
Clapham Jn was in zone 3 or something?
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 18th 09, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default Fare enquiry

On 18 Aug, 16:56, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 7, 5:04 pm, MIG wrote:





On 7 Aug, 16:41, "Ian F." wrote:


"Martin Deutsch" wrote:


It's a little hard to say without knowing more details about
"everything today", but I can tell you that Oyster PAYG capping, and a
Victoria costs 50p less than the equivalent Travelcard, and a Victoria
- Clapham Junction single is 2.40 - so the chances are, you're better
off with a day travelcard.


+++++++++++


Thanks Martin. I think I'll spend the 50p extra on a Travelcard - I'll get
up to the cap level, but it'll save having to buy a ticket at Victoria.


Thanks for the help - just in time...I have to go now.............. ;-)


Ang on, that's not quite right. *You also have to bear in mind the
difference between a zone 1 - 4 travelcard and capping in the zones
where "everything today" takes place. *Assuming off-peak and assuming
that "everything today" is restricted to zones 1 and 2, that's 1.20
less than a 1 - 4 travelcard.


Probly still better to get the 1 - 4 travelcard though, and save 1.20.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABBey 1234 (020 7222 1234) enquiry number is no more Mizter T London Transport 15 August 25th 21 09:12 AM
Fare enquiry - Zone 6 Gatwick Express CDR NW3 London Transport 1 July 6th 06 12:01 PM
The Thameslink Planning Enquiry Bob Robinson London Transport 23 January 2nd 06 06:05 AM
Routing enquiry - Fleet to London Terminals Phil Clark London Transport 14 December 6th 05 07:16 PM
Exact Fare Only CJG London Transport 34 September 4th 03 09:37 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017