London Banter

-   -   A quieter time (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9002-quieter-time.html)

[email protected] August 11th 09 09:30 AM

A quieter time

Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

B2003

Roland Perry August 11th 09 10:04 AM

A quieter time

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:
Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

[email protected] August 11th 09 10:40 AM

A quieter time

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:04:53 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:
Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

Not until you get past hanger lane though! But if you go east its pretty
narrow at bounds green. I remember when they built the east end road underpass
and widened the road back in the mid 90s. The traffic before that time
effectivly made the road unusable in the rush hour around the finchley area.
God knows what it would be like now if they hadn't done it.

B2003

Mizter T August 18th 09 02:53 PM

A quieter time

On Aug 11, 11:04*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:

Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

As is most of its 'southern hemisphere' cousin! (Not that I would want
it otherwise!)

1506 August 18th 09 03:21 PM

A quieter time

On Aug 18, 7:53*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 11, 11:04*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:

Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

As is most of its 'southern hemisphere' cousin! (Not that I would want
it otherwise!)

Welcome back Mizter T. You were missed.

Mizter T August 18th 09 04:07 PM

A quieter time

On Aug 18, 4:21*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Aug 18, 7:53*am, Mizter T wrote:

On Aug 11, 11:04*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:

Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times change.
Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

As is most of its 'southern hemisphere' cousin! (Not that I would want
it otherwise!)

Welcome back Mizter T. *You were missed.

I was?! I obviously wasn't being objectionable enough ;)

(In the back of my mind I've a vague recollection of the million-and-
one threads that I once wanted to respond to... in all likelihood I
probably won't get round to it, but in the event that I do resurrect
some golden oldies, it's only because my infantile desire to try and
have the last word has got the better of me!)

[email protected] August 18th 09 07:43 PM

A quieter time

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 11, 11:04*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:30:44 on Tue, 11 Aug 2009,
remarked:

Just came across this pic of the north circular from 1975. how times
change. Today its a walled off 6 lane motorway at this location.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/119213

Further west it's still as narrow as that :(

As is most of its 'southern hemisphere' cousin! (Not that I would want
it otherwise!)

I've always described the South Circular as no more than a series of
signposts, certainly from Kew Bridge through where I was brought up,
Putney, and some way beyond.

I used to enjoy seeing the jams from Young's horse-drawn drays on local
deliveries. :-)

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 19th 09 08:58 AM

A quieter time

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:43:21 -0500
wrote:
I used to enjoy seeing the jams from Young's horse-drawn drays on local
deliveries. :-)

I don't know if its true but I heard they finally got rid of them a few
years ago because some irate drivers attacked the horses. There are some
serious ****wits about on the roads.

B2003

Paul Terry August 19th 09 10:18 AM

A quieter time

In message , writes

I don't know if its true

It's not ...

but I heard they finally got rid of them a few
years ago because some irate drivers attacked the horses.

No, Youngs continued to use horses until the day the Ram Brewery closed
in 2006 (and still do so, although no longer for deliveries).

The horses (which are now owned by the retired head keeper) are stabled
in Surrey and are still used for promotional work for Youngs and Wells.
--
Paul Terry