London Banter

-   -   Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9507-euston-arch-rebuilt-nightclub.html)

E27002 September 23rd 09 05:03 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 23, 9:32*am, allanbonnetracy
wrote:
The Euston Arch, which stood in front of London's Euston rail station
until 1962, is set to be restored.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rch-to-be-rebu...

The arch was originally built in 1838 until it was torn down by modern
town planners almost 50 years ago. Some of its stones were thrown into
a tributary of the River Lea in East London to fill a hole in the
riverbed, but have now been recovered and will be used to restore the
arch to its former glory.

For the past four months, British Waterways has dredged the Prescott
Channel in order to salvage the discarded rock, after historian Dan
Cruickshank tracked them down in 1994.

He has since led the 15-year Euston Arch Trust campaign to reconstruct
the monument, described as the "first great building of the railway
age".

Mr Cruickshank said: "It's destruction was an act of barbarism. Now a
great cultural wrong can be put right."

The 70ft arch, inspired by Roman architecture, was originally designed
by Philip Hardwick. Mr Hardwick, who also helped design Liverpool's
Royal Albert Dock, created the arch as the grand entrance of Euston
Station which opened in 1837.

In the 1960s however, the station's owners, the British Transport
Commission, tore down the Grade II arch amid much protest in order to
build a bigger terminal.

The new £10 million arch will be a replica of the original, but will
have hospitality space, including an underground nightclub in the
foundations, and a banquet hall at the top of the arch. The site of
the original arch is beneath the current station, so a new site on
Euston Road has been suggested. Proposals are set to be submitted to
planning officers next year.

IMHO, it should be placed in a central postition in front of Euston
Station.

Basil Jet September 23rd 09 05:17 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rch-to-be-rebu...

The 70ft arch, inspired by Roman architecture,

Greek, surely.

Basil Jet September 23rd 09 05:38 PM

Basil Jet wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rch-to-be-rebu...

The 70ft arch, inspired by Roman architecture,

Greek, surely.

A little research suggests that the Romans had their own distinct version of
"Doric" architecture, so maybe the article was right.

Bruce[_3_] September 23rd 09 06:46 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 23, 6:38*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rch-to-be-rebu....

The 70ft arch, inspired by Roman architecture,

Greek, surely.

A little research suggests that the Romans had their own distinct version of
"Doric" architecture, so maybe the article was right.

The correct description of the architectural style of the Euston Arch
is "Greek Revival".

Given that the revival of ancient Greek and Roman forms and detaIls
was most extensively practised by the Italian architect Andrea
Palladio (1508-1580), who strongly influenced the style of other great
architects including Sr Christopher Wren, it is probably also
appropriate to call it "Palladian".

The design of the interior of the former Great Hall at Euston was also
heavily influenced by the Palladian style.

Chris Lonsbrough September 23rd 09 08:40 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

IMHO, it should be placed in a central postition in front of Euston
Station.

The proposal is to site it between the surviving Lodges on the Euston Road.

http://www.eustonarch.org/images/text/joerobson.jpg

Would look rather good IMO.

General info:

http://www.eustonarch.org/index.php

HTH

C.

E27002 September 23rd 09 11:18 PM

On Sep 23, 1:40*pm, Chris Lonsbrough wrote:
IMHO, it should be placed in a central postition in front of Euston
Station.

The proposal is to site it between the surviving Lodges on the Euston Road.

http://www.eustonarch.org/images/text/joerobson.jpg

Would look rather good IMO.

General info:

http://www.eustonarch.org/index.php

Thanks. I agree. That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

(They had their turn in the 1960s).

Bruce[_3_] September 23rd 09 11:49 PM

On Sep 24, 12:18*am, E27002 wrote:

Thanks. *I agree. *That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

Unfortunately, the replica "Arch" would be a concrete structure.

Sounds more like a draw. ;-)

Miles Bader September 24th 09 12:40 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

Bruce writes:
Thanks. Â*I agree. Â*That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

Unfortunately, the replica "Arch" would be a concrete structure.

Hmm? It sounds like they're using a lot of the original stone (which
was recovered from a riverbed)...

Anyway, the problem is not concrete. Concrete is a fantastic building
material, with an ancient provenance (first used extensively by the
romans!). There are obviously many many excellent buildings made of
concrete.

The problem was clueless and dogmatic '60s worship of modernity
("newer _must_ be better, there is no exception!") being used to justify
bad architecture and planning, and the mindless destruction of anything
not fitting the fad of the moment.

-Miles

--
Sabbath, n. A weekly festival having its origin in the fact that God made the
world in six days and was arrested on the seventh.

Bruce[_3_] September 24th 09 02:27 AM

On Sep 24, 1:40*am, Miles Bader wrote:
Bruce writes:
Thanks. *I agree. *That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

Unfortunately, the replica "Arch" would be a concrete structure.

Hmm? *It sounds like they're using a lot of the original stone (which
was recovered from a riverbed)...

Anyway, the problem is not concrete. *Concrete is a fantastic building
material, with an ancient provenance (first used extensively by the
romans!). *There are obviously many many excellent buildings made of
concrete.

I've just read a e detailed article and the replica will be steel- not
concrete-framed. It *might* incorporate some of the original stones,
but most of the cladding is likely to be some form of precast
concrete.

To add insult to injury, there will be an undeground nightclub in a
basement under the structure, and an 80+ seater restaurant at the top
level, accessed by lifts in the piers.

It might end up looking like the original but it al seems a little
tacky to me.

The problem was clueless and dogmatic '60s worship of modernity
("newer _must_ be better, there is no exception!") being used to justify
bad architecture and planning, and the mindless destruction of anything
not fitting the fad of the moment.

As it happens, the "modern" Euston is listed on account of its
architectural excellence. I like it very much and a lot of other
people do too.

The old Euston had two fine features (the Arch and the Great Hall) but
the rest of it was a disgusting smoke-filled pit that served no-one
well at all. The new Euston is an iconic building that symbolised the
"white heat of technology" of the 1960s and was far more functional
than what it replaced.

It wasn't possible to incorporate wither the Great Hall or the Arch in
their original positions, however the Arch could have been relocated
had the will been there. Sadly, it wasn't.

In my opinion, the new steel structure, clad in Lord knows what, will
be something of an insult to the designer of the original - Thomas
Hardwicke - and the craftsmen who built it. Instead of something that
respects the original, it merely apes it, while housing businesses
that were never intended to feature in the original structure.

There is perhaps no better definition than "bad architecture and
planning, and the mindless construction of anything fitting the fad of
the moment" while insulting the original. Don't you agree?

Miles Bader September 24th 09 02:39 AM

Bruce writes:
In my opinion, the new steel structure, clad in Lord knows what, will
be something of an insult to the designer of the original - Thomas
Hardwicke - and the craftsmen who built it. Instead of something that
respects the original, it merely apes it, while housing businesses
that were never intended to feature in the original structure.

There is perhaps no better definition than "bad architecture and
planning, and the mindless construction of anything fitting the fad of
the moment" while insulting the original. Don't you agree?

It's hard to say really; details matter a _lot_. Certainly there's
nothing inherently wrong with housing different businesses, or using
different materials.

-Miles

--
Friendship, n. A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one
in foul.

Neil Williams September 24th 09 08:14 AM

On Sep 24, 3:27*am, Bruce wrote:

In my opinion, the new steel structure, clad in Lord knows what, will
be something of an insult to the designer of the original - Thomas
Hardwicke - and the craftsmen who built it. *Instead of something that
respects the original, it merely apes it, while housing businesses
that were never intended to feature in the original structure.

Regardless of that, the photo posted in this thread shows it replacing
the bus station access. This would seem to be rather
counterproductive, as it will reduce the effectiveness of the
interchange.

Neil

Chris Lonsbrough September 24th 09 09:45 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

Regardless of that, the photo posted in this thread shows it replacing
the bus station access. This would seem to be rather
counterproductive, as it will reduce the effectiveness of the
interchange.

Neil

Buses will fit through the Arch and the Bus station will continue as at
present ...

C.

John B September 24th 09 10:11 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 24, 10:37*am, Tom Barry wrote:
I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce' here, although the
blasted word 'iconic' is overused, as ever. *Euston works very well as a
station if you're coming from the underground (but rather less well if
you're on foot or bus) and is an excellent railway station. *Far from
being a deliberate snub to the past, is in many ways a 1960s reworking
of what the LSWR did at Waterloo 40 years earlier, for much the same reason.

Agreed with your post in general. Confused by the "bus" point though -
Euston has a big bus station at the front with easy access to and from
the station, unlike most other London terminals where you have to hunt
for your stop across a variety of side-roads...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Chris Tolley[_2_] September 24th 09 10:18 AM

Tom Barry wrote:

I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce'

It's only really something to worry about if it becomes a habit. Just
have a nice cuppa and you'll be as right as ninepence.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683761.html
(143 609 at Bridgend, 2 Jul 1999)

Tom Barry September 24th 09 10:33 AM

John B wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:37 am, Tom Barry wrote:
I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce' here, although the
blasted word 'iconic' is overused, as ever. Euston works very well as a
station if you're coming from the underground (but rather less well if
you're on foot or bus) and is an excellent railway station. Far from
being a deliberate snub to the past, is in many ways a 1960s reworking
of what the LSWR did at Waterloo 40 years earlier, for much the same reason.

Agreed with your post in general. Confused by the "bus" point though -
Euston has a big bus station at the front with easy access to and from
the station, unlike most other London terminals where you have to hunt
for your stop across a variety of side-roads...

Yes, it's just a wee bit further away than is convenient. Mind you,
Waterloo's not brilliant for this, although it's not a particularly
difficult walk.

Euston has a couple of bus stops down side roads, too (Eversholt Street,
for instance), and I'm fairly sure I've had to cross Euston Road to get
some buses westbound down there (27?) that weren't serving the main bus
station. There's not a lot wrong with it that couldn't be fixed either
by moving the bus station nearer the concourse or the concourse nearer
the bus station and diverting all buses serving the station through it
(and, for that matter, covering it over a bit).

Tom

Paul Terry September 24th 09 11:12 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

In message , Chris
Lonsbrough writes

Buses will fit through the Arch and the Bus station will continue as at
present ...

I know the plan drawn up in the 1990s showed that buses could get
through, although with very little clearance (500cm each side, I think).
I wonder if that's still possible with the buses in use today?

There's also the problem that with the arch sited between the
gatehouses, buses travelling eastwards along the Euston Road would have
to swing right across the traffic lanes in order to approach the arch
head on.

Mind you, I have heard it said that the position of the bus station
could change with the redevelopment of Euston, so I guess there's no
certainty that buses would have to pass through the arch.
--
Paul Terry

David Cantrell September 24th 09 11:14 AM

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:03:08AM -0700, E27002 wrote:

IMHO, it should be placed in a central postition in front of Euston
Station.

IMHO it shouldn't be rebuilt, as it's horribly ugly and doesn't even
have the benefit of being in any way original or creative, and what
limited usefulness might be squeezed out of it by putting a restaurant
on top could be done much better with a different building.

comparative and superlative explained:

Huhn worse, worser, worsest, worsted, wasted

Miles Bader September 24th 09 11:19 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

Tom Barry writes:
Anyway, Will Wiles has a couple of interesting pieces on the whole
shenanigans, which remind me very much of the Routemaster rubbish or the
rows about tall buildings in London:

Hmm, he seems to huff and puff a lot, and seems guilty of exactly the
same sort of rhetorical excess he charges the arch campaigners with (he
stuffs so many loaded words into each sentence that at times it seems
almost a parody). Basically, though, his argument seems to come down to
"you can never go home again, so stop trying."

Probably true, but I think it's equally silly to try and deny people's
undeniable sense of comfort in remembering the past. It's OK to look
back sometimes.

Despite his use of the pejorative tag "heritage industry", I think the
real appeal is to a wider public sense that politicians and the
architectural establishment _did_ go too far in pursuing their dogma,
and that even if it's too late to undo those huge changes physically,
they're not forgotten, and not really accepted. To some degree it's an
act of revenge.

When he says "Whatever they might claim, neither campaign is
forward-looking. Both see present-day London as a suitable venue for
revisiting battles that were lost more than half a century ago," there's
a sense of someone crying (fearfully) "Stop! We _won_; you're not
allowed to do that!" But, of course, they can do that. What goes
around comes around...

Maybe the reconstructed arch will be a tacky pastiche, or maybe it will
actually be something cool that will become a new icon. Who knows, it
depends on the actual object, not on the history.

[He also tries to throw in some kind of weird guilt-trip about "small,
young practices struggling to find work", but let's face it: the public
doesn't care about architectural practices.]

-Miles

--
Bacchus, n. A convenient deity invented by the ancients as an excuse for
getting drunk.

Robert[_3_] September 24th 09 11:34 AM

On 2009-09-24 12:12:11 +0100, Paul Terry said:

In message , Chris
Lonsbrough writes

Buses will fit through the Arch and the Bus station will continue as at
present ...

I know the plan drawn up in the 1990s showed that buses could get
through, although with very little clearance (500cm each side, I
think). I wonder if that's still possible with the buses in use today?

Guided busway, anyone?

snip

--
Robert

Neil Williams September 24th 09 12:28 PM

On Sep 24, 11:33*am, Tom Barry wrote:

Yes, it's just a wee bit further away than is convenient. *

Eh? It's right in front of the station (other than the seating/food
places area outside I suppose). And at least half of it is covered.

I don't think it needs to be any closer.

Neil

Andy September 24th 09 02:55 PM

On 24 Sep, 11:33, Tom Barry wrote:
John B wrote:
[...]

All the westbound buses now leave from the other side of Euston Road,
with the exception of the 18 from Euston to Sudbury which starts by
the gate house, but drops passengers off eastbound on Euston Road
before turning round via Grafton Place. The number of routes actually
using the bus station has thinned out in recent years as frequencies
have increased and some routes now only use it in one direction,
stopping on the road in the other (for example the 59 which uses the
bus station northbound, but now uses the corner of Euston Road and
Upper Woburn Place southbound).

Sam Wilson September 24th 09 04:15 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

In article
,
Bruce wrote:

On Sep 23, 6:38*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rch-to-be-rebu...

The 70ft arch, inspired by Roman architecture,

Greek, surely.

A little research suggests that the Romans had their own distinct version of
"Doric" architecture, so maybe the article was right.

The correct description of the architectural style of the Euston Arch
is "Greek Revival".

Irrespective of its architectural style it's not actually an arch, is
it? What would the correct classical term for this kind of structure
be, assuming they actually built anything like this?

Sam

Paul Scott September 24th 09 04:25 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

Sam Wilson wrote:
In article
,
Bruce wrote:

The correct description of the architectural style of the Euston Arch
is "Greek Revival".

Irrespective of its architectural style it's not actually an arch, is
it? What would the correct classical term for this kind of structure
be, assuming they actually built anything like this?

A dirty great big black lump?

A Doric 'Propylaeum' (monumental gateway)

Paul S

E27002 September 24th 09 04:57 PM

On Sep 23, 5:40*pm, Miles Bader wrote:
Bruce writes:
Thanks. *I agree. *That will be excellent.

Decent Urban Fabric 1:Concrete Commies 0

Unfortunately, the replica "Arch" would be a concrete structure.

Hmm? *It sounds like they're using a lot of the original stone (which
was recovered from a riverbed)...

Anyway, the problem is not concrete. *Concrete is a fantastic building
material, with an ancient provenance (first used extensively by the
romans!). *There are obviously many many excellent buildings made of
concrete.

The problem was clueless and dogmatic '60s worship of modernity
("newer _must_ be better, there is no exception!") being used to justify
bad architecture and planning, and the mindless destruction of anything
not fitting the fad of the moment.

Thank you. I agree. It is not, primarily, about the material.
Concrete can be used most effectively. My issue is with the mentality
that gave us Westway, Euston Station, and Centre Point. For what type
of humans where these structure built.

Contrast these with the “new” Liverpool Street, or the original St
Pancras. They lift the soul and speak of grandeur.

IMHO it is a pity that St Pancras, and now Paddington could not be
given the same treatment as Liverpool St.

IMHO concrete was used effectievly in some of the Jubilee Line
Extension Stations. Westminster is airy and feels spacious.

E27002 September 24th 09 05:13 PM

On Sep 24, 2:37*am, Tom Barry wrote:

I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce' here, although the
blasted word 'iconic' is overused, as ever. *Euston works very well as a
station if you're coming from the underground (but rather less well if
you're on foot or bus) and is an excellent railway station. *Far from
being a deliberate snub to the past, is in many ways a 1960s reworking
of what the LSWR did at Waterloo 40 years earlier, for much the same reason.

Waterloo has been a great station. The next "rebuild" gives some
cause for concern. I doubt it will be sympathetic.

The original position of the Arch was somewhere towards the platform
side of the current hall, if memory serves (not that I remember the old
Euston).

The arch needed to be moved.

As for 'concrete commies', the demolition of the Arch was authorised by
Harold Macmillan. *That statement alone betrays that this is a
political, not an architectural or usability matter.

IMHO Macmillan is NOT a hero. His government failed on a number of
fronts. Not, least public disdain resulting from arrogance, and moral
lapses, gave Britain the Harold Wilson years.

Paul Scott September 24th 09 05:19 PM

E27002 wrote:
On Sep 24, 2:37 am, Tom Barry wrote:

I'm horrified to find myself agreeing with 'Bruce' here, although the
blasted word 'iconic' is overused, as ever. Euston works very well
as a station if you're coming from the underground (but rather less
well if you're on foot or bus) and is an excellent railway station.
Far from
being a deliberate snub to the past, is in many ways a 1960s
reworking
of what the LSWR did at Waterloo 40 years earlier, for much the same
reason.

Waterloo has been a great station. The next "rebuild" gives some
cause for concern. I doubt it will be sympathetic.

I'd be interested to know of any 'rebuild' plans that are available to the
public. AFAIAA all NR's current plans are to do with extending platforms
outside the station...

Paul S

John B September 24th 09 10:58 PM

Bruce writes:
[...]

Westway: humans in cars.
Euston: humans leaving trains and entering other trains or buses.
Centrepoint: humans working in offices.

Now, the utterly ****ty streetscape around TCR/Centrepoint, which
Crossrail is thankfully going to improve beyond recognition, is indeed
unforgivable and another story.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Basil Jet September 24th 09 11:44 PM

Sam Wilson wrote:

Irrespective of its architectural style it's not actually an arch, is
it? What would the correct classical term for this kind of structure
be, assuming they actually built anything like this?

I call that sort of thing a squarch.

Chris Tolley[_2_] September 25th 09 07:09 AM

Basil Jet wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:

Irrespective of its architectural style it's not actually an arch, is
it? What would the correct classical term for this kind of structure
be, assuming they actually built anything like this?

I call that sort of thing a squarch.

And how many times before this discussion have you done so?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13857124.html
(66 090 at Bescot, 25 Apr 1999)

michael adams[_3_] September 25th 09 07:57 AM

"Miles Bader" wrote in message ...

The problem was clueless and dogmatic '60s worship of modernity
("newer _must_ be better, there is no exception!") being used to justify
bad architecture and planning, and the mindless destruction of anything
not fitting the fad of the moment.

-Miles

Whereas the Victorians who built the Euston "Arch" were in no way clueless
and dogmatic in the mindless destruction they wrought on most of the capital's
existing vernacular buildings. Many of them going back 400 years or more in their
determination to replace them with pastiche Roman and Greek temple style
edifices and the like. In this case presumably in recognition of the importance which
railways clearly played in the Classical world. How very fitting - nothing
faddish about that then, at all.

While many of those they didn't raze to the ground they "improved" or rebuilt
in the original style, so at to confuse and bewilder those of subsequent
generations with any interest in the subject.

michael adams

michael adams[_3_] September 25th 09 08:16 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

"E27002" wrote in message

IMHO Macmillan is NOT a hero.

quote

Macmillan served with distinction as a captain in the Grenadier Guards
during the war, [WW1] and was wounded on three occasions. During the
Battle of the Somme, he spent an entire day wounded and lying in a slit
trench with a bullet in his pelvis, reading the classical Greek
playwright Aeschylus in his original language.[13

Publishing]
On his return to London in 1920 he joined the family firm Macmillan
Publishers as a junior partner, remaining with the company until his
appointment to ministerial office in 1940.

{Macmillan was responsible for publishing and championing the work of
the Irish playwright Sean O'Casey)

Housing Minister (1951-1954)
With the Conservative victory in 1951 Macmillan became Minister of Housing
under Churchill, who entrusted Macmillan with fulfilling the latter's conference
promise to build 300,000 houses per year. 'It is a gamble-it will make or mar
your political career,' Churchill said, 'but every humble home will bless your
name if you succeed.'[32] Macmillan achieved the target a year ahead of schedule.[33]

/quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Macmillan

To say nothing of the strain of having to maintain a stiff upper lip for years,
on end, for the sake of the family, while being cockolded by Robert Boothby.
(i.e Boothby was shagging his missus)

I wonder if any of those people moving into any of those 300,000 new houses will have
bemoaned the lack of Doric arhes at the front ?

Oh sorry, there's clearly no point in asking you is there ? Your knowledge of Harold
McMillan is probably based on a telly programme you vaguely remember from last
year. Andrew Marr perhaps ?

michael adams

Peter Masson[_2_] September 25th 09 10:14 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

"michael adams" wrote

Oh sorry, there's clearly no point in asking you is there ? Your knowledge
of Harold
McMillan is probably based on a telly programme you vaguely remember from
last
year. Andrew Marr perhaps ?

One of my memories of Harold Macmillan is the occasion when, as Chancellor
of Oxford University, he escorted the Queen to a debate in the Oxford Union.
She had to dig him in the ribs to keep him awake.

Peter

Basil Jet September 25th 09 10:42 AM

Chris Tolley wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:

Irrespective of its architectural style it's not actually an arch,
is it? What would the correct classical term for this kind of
structure be, assuming they actually built anything like this?

I call that sort of thing a squarch.

And how many times before this discussion have you done so?

I have use the word a dozen times a week for quite a few years.

David Cantrell September 25th 09 11:41 AM

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:12:11PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

I know the plan drawn up in the 1990s showed that buses could get
through, although with very little clearance (500cm each side, I think).
I wonder if that's still possible with the buses in use today?

Uh, 500cm is FIFTEEN FEET. That's a *lot* of clearance.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

Awww, people say the sweetest things:

18:40 @danshell DrHyde: you sick ****

David Cantrell September 25th 09 11:45 AM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 09:57:24AM -0700, E27002 wrote:

Contrast these with the =93new=94 Liverpool Street, or the original St
Pancras. They lift the soul and speak of grandeur.

"Lift the soul and speak of grandeur"? You just lost all the normal
people who don't aspire to be art critics!

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.

Paul Terry September 25th 09 12:57 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

In message , David
Cantrell writes

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:12:11PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

I know the plan drawn up in the 1990s showed that buses could get
through, although with very little clearance (500cm each side, I think).
I wonder if that's still possible with the buses in use today?

Uh, 500cm is FIFTEEN FEET. That's a *lot* of clearance.

Oops (I never did get the hang of metrication). 50cm clearance, of
course!
--
Paul Terry

E27002 September 25th 09 03:35 PM

On Sep 25, 1:16 am, "michael adams" wrote:
"E27002" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you. Clearly he was a hero. Unfortunately the latter day of
his government were marred by scandal. Two elections later Wilson was
firmly in control and the UK's decline went into overdrive.

To say nothing of the strain of having to maintain a stiff upper lip for years,
on end, for the sake of the family, while being cockolded by Robert Boothby.
(i.e Boothby was shagging his missus)

One would not wish that on anybody.

I wonder if any of those people moving into any of those 300,000 new houses will have
bemoaned the lack of Doric arhes at the front ?

Is it the government's job to house the populace? I will say that
1950s local authority housing was far superior to that which followed.

Oh sorry, there's clearly no point in asking you is there ? Your knowledge of Harold
McMillan is probably based on a telly programme you vaguely remember from last
year. Andrew Marr perhaps ?

No it is based on my memory of living thru those times. I have no
idea who is Andrew Marr.

E27002 September 25th 09 03:36 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

On Sep 25, 3:14*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"michael adams" wrote

Oh sorry, there's clearly no point in asking you is there ? Your knowledge
of Harold
McMillan is probably based on a telly programme you vaguely remember from
last
year. Andrew Marr perhaps ?

One of my memories of Harold Macmillan is the occasion when, as Chancellor
of Oxford University, he escorted the Queen to a debate in the Oxford Union.
She had to dig him in the ribs to keep him awake.

Peter

Priceless! :-)

E27002 September 25th 09 03:38 PM

On Sep 25, 4:45*am, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 09:57:24AM -0700, E27002 wrote:
Contrast these with the =93new=94 Liverpool Street, or the original St
Pancras. *They lift the soul and speak of grandeur.

"Lift the soul and speak of grandeur"? *You just lost all the normal
people who don't aspire to be art critics!

Thanks, you have made my day!

Chris Tolley[_2_] September 25th 09 03:55 PM

Euston Arch to be rebuilt as nightclub

E27002 wrote:

it is based on my memory

But Adrian, as you keep forgetting to use the same name when you post
here, that statement may not carry the weight you expect.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683842.html
(158 839 at Milford Haven, 1 Jul 1999)