London Banter

-   -   Evening Standard no longer on trains (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9663-evening-standard-no-longer-trains.html)

[email protected] October 14th 09 09:22 AM

Evening Standard no longer on trains

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500
wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper people
used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect Lite
will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

B2003

martin October 14th 09 11:38 AM

On Oct 14, 10:22*am, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500

wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper people
used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect Lite
will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

It's an odd situation anyway - the Standard is 24.9% owned by DGMT,
who own the Lite and the Metro; and the Lite are allowed to use the
Standard's copy for free. And, of course, they share the same presses.

I noticed an immediate reduction in Lite distributors after
thelondonpaper closed. Since the relaunch, the Standard was sold for
10p from vendors after 9pm or so, and then giving them away (latterly
a specially printed 'free' edition) which meant that you'd see trains
full of people reading it at 10pm.

I've yet to see a new orange-jacketed Standard distributor, but did
notice a stand by the door of a WH Smith yesterday.

[email protected] October 14th 09 11:42 AM

Evening Standard no longer on trains

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 04:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
martin wrote:
I've yet to see a new orange-jacketed Standard distributor, but did
notice a stand by the door of a WH Smith yesterday.

I haven't bought the Standard in years , but I picked up the free copies
so far and if thats its normal quality then zero pence seems about right
to me. It seems like more like a cheap magazine than a newspaper. Lots of
"features" but not much in the way of actual news.

B2003

[email protected] October 14th 09 06:20 PM

In article , () wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500
wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper
people used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect
Lite will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

I get/got the London freesheets for the sudokus. The news bits takes
almost no time to read, being so content-free. I almost never see the
Metro as I get to King's Cross too late.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG October 14th 09 06:32 PM

On 14 Oct, 10:22, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500

wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper people
used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect Lite
will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

B2003

I'll have to start buying toilet roll again.

Arthur Figgis October 14th 09 09:18 PM

martin wrote:
I've yet to see a new orange-jacketed Standard distributor, but did
notice a stand by the door of a WH Smith yesterday.

I haven't bought the Standard in years , but I picked up the free copies
so far and if thats its normal quality then zero pence seems about right
to me. It seems like more like a cheap magazine than a newspaper. Lots of
"features" but not much in the way of actual news.

Possibly because so many people will have already seen more up-to-date
news on websites during the day, and so the Standard wants to give them
something different to that to encourage them to read the thing.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Theo Markettos October 16th 09 11:08 AM

wrote:
I haven't bought the Standard in years , but I picked up the free copies
so far and if thats its normal quality then zero pence seems about right
to me. It seems like more like a cheap magazine than a newspaper. Lots of
"features" but not much in the way of actual news.

It used to be that the evening trains (VEPs or EPBs) were covered in
Standards from all the City-types who had disembarked (at that time
/everyone/ bought a Standard for the train home). Even then I remember
picking these up and being surprised how poor it was given that it was read
by people whose choice of paper was the Telegraph or the FT in the morning.

(I've barely seen one since)

Theo