Old October 14th 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Evening Standard no longer on trains

On Oct 14, 10:22*am, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500

wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper people
used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect Lite
will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

It's an odd situation anyway - the Standard is 24.9% owned by DGMT,
who own the Lite and the Metro; and the Lite are allowed to use the
Standard's copy for free. And, of course, they share the same presses.

I noticed an immediate reduction in Lite distributors after
thelondonpaper closed. Since the relaunch, the Standard was sold for
10p from vendors after 9pm or so, and then giving them away (latterly
a specially printed 'free' edition) which meant that you'd see trains
full of people reading it at 10pm.

I've yet to see a new orange-jacketed Standard distributor, but did
notice a stand by the door of a WH Smith yesterday.
Old October 14th 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 04:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
martin wrote:
I've yet to see a new orange-jacketed Standard distributor, but did
notice a stand by the door of a WH Smith yesterday.

I haven't bought the Standard in years , but I picked up the free copies
so far and if thats its normal quality then zero pence seems about right
to me. It seems like more like a cheap magazine than a newspaper. Lots of
"features" but not much in the way of actual news.

B2003

Old October 14th 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Oct, 10:22, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 02:59:47 -0500

wrote:
From what I saw yesterday (first day in London since the ES went free)
they stand around King's Cross giving it out like thelondonpaper people
used to. I can never get a Lite the ways I go.

You're not missing much. To me it seems to be the same news that was in
Metro in the morning just with a different coloured border. I suspect Lite
will close sometime next year anyway, the economics don't stack up.

B2003

I'll have to start buying toilet roll again.