London Banter

-   -   West London Line - what recession? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9781-west-london-line-what-recession.html)

Jamie Thompson October 29th 09 04:42 PM

West London Line - what recession?

On 29 Oct, 17:05, E27002 wrote:
On Oct 29, 9:51*am, Jamie *Thompson wrote:

On 29 Oct, 15:22, E27002 wrote:

Rather than build a new tunnel from Kings Cross to Bermondsy, would it
not be easier to extend the GN Electric tunnel from Moorgate?

It might seem so, but things to consider:
a) It's size cannot handle OHLE, which any new infrastructure should
be built to support (one day the southern network will be brought into
line ;))
b) It has metro station-spacing, unsuitable for a service serving an
area as wide as Thameslink (Cambridge to Essex Road, anyone?).
c) Said station are too short, and would be expensive to extend.
d) Closing said stations to remedy b&c would be unpopular with
existing users.
...and finally, e) Extending the tunnel from Moorgate means cutting
through both the planned Crossrail station's escalators, as well as
the Northern line tunnels.

Ergo, I think a new Crossrail-gauge tunnel from either Finsbury or
Ally Pally would be best, with stations at Finsbury Park, Moorgate-
Bank, Cannon Street-London Bridge, and Surrey Canal Junction. However,
either tunnel option would miss out on interchanging with KXSP,
forcing an interchange at Liverpool St. and a trip back along the
Circle.

My preference for the NC tunnels would still have to deal with e), but
covering the other considerations, would be to link it to the W&C, and
from Finsbury up to Highgate, then along back to Ally Pally, before
taking over the majority of the Hertford loop. Plans for the other end
of the W&C take it down to Clapham and off elsewhere...but that's
another thing entirely.-

IIRC because of the way it is configured, extending the W&C from
Waterloo would be very difficult. *There was once talk of adding a W&C
station at Blackfriars. *That idea may have merrit. *But there would
be little return for the very high investement.

Quite.

This conversation's been done to death elsewhere before, but IIRC,
it's only an end-on junction at Waterloo that's problematic. Diverging
just before should be relatively trouble-free compared to the hell of
what awaits at the Bank end. I must say though, I am fond of the
concept of a Blackfriars W&C station. The current-ish alternatives
from Waterloo are a 16 minute walk, a trip to Embankment then (once it
reopens!) along to Blackfriars, or amusingly...a trip to London
Bridge, then a clipper to Blackfriars. Certainly not worth it as an
isolated project on such a short line, but as part of a wider
extension, it would stop passengers from Waterloo clogging up both
Waterloo station and the Circle line's capacity (there's ample
capacity between Waterloo and Embankment for that bit not to be an
issue though).

E27002 October 29th 09 05:43 PM

On Oct 29, 10:42*am, Jamie Thompson wrote:

This conversation's been done to death elsewhere before, but IIRC,
it's only an end-on junction at Waterloo that's problematic. Diverging
just before should be relatively trouble-free compared to the hell of
what awaits at the Bank end. I must say though, I am fond of the
concept of a Blackfriars W&C station. The current-ish alternatives
from Waterloo are a 16 minute walk, a trip to Embankment then (once it
reopens!) along to Blackfriars, or amusingly...a trip to London
Bridge, then a clipper to Blackfriars. Certainly not worth it as an
isolated project on such a short line, but as part of a wider
extension, it would stop passengers from Waterloo clogging up both
Waterloo station and the Circle line's capacity (there's ample
capacity between Waterloo and Embankment for that bit not to be an
issue though).

Hadn't really seen anything elsewhere, but, I do not follow every
thread. If it can be done extending the W&C may make more sense that
the westward Northern Line extension discussed here recently.

A frequent tube service continuing to, and replacing, Vauxhall
station, and both Battersea stations (at a new central location
convenient for the new US embassy), would be useful and free up the SW
mainline approach to Waterloo. It could continue to Wimbledon by
surfacing before Clapham junction and using the outside pair to reach
Putney, and then on to Wimbledon by sharing the District tracks.

David Jackson October 29th 09 05:55 PM

West London Line - what recession?

The message
from Bruce contains these words:

What food does it serve? Balti? Tandoori? Pizza and Pasta?

It seems odd that there should be such a thing as a "British
Restaurant" when British cuisine has largely vanished.

My local pub has stopped displaying its Curry Board because the demand
for that style of cooking has dropped. On the other hand, they keep a
rather nice gammon which is very popular, as is their home-made
steak-and-ale pie.

--
Dave,
Frodsham

Bruce[_2_] October 29th 09 06:54 PM

West London Line - what recession?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:55:51 GMT, David Jackson
wrote:

The message
from Bruce contains these words:

What food does it serve? Balti? Tandoori? Pizza and Pasta?

It seems odd that there should be such a thing as a "British
Restaurant" when British cuisine has largely vanished.

My local pub has stopped displaying its Curry Board because the demand
for that style of cooking has dropped. On the other hand, they keep a
rather nice gammon which is very popular, as is their home-made
steak-and-ale pie.

My local pub became a Thai Restaurant, still with a bar. Many
hostelries around Aylesbury have become Indian restaurants, some with,
and some without bars.

E27002 October 29th 09 06:57 PM

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

David Jackson October 29th 09 07:49 PM

West London Line - what recession?

The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

E27002 October 29th 09 08:10 PM

On Oct 29, 1:49*pm, David Jackson wrote:
The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

When I first worked in the US in 1982 I would go crazy for a cup of
real tea. Eventually I would have family members send it over.

Dr J R Stockton[_11_] October 29th 09 09:24 PM

West London Line - what recession?

In uk.transport.london message ,
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:39:52, Bill Borland posted:

I do wish he'd said "British restaurant", not "British Restaurant".
Horrible memories of 1939-1945.

I think at least one may have been still running in the early/mid
sixties. The Councillor's family may remember. It was probably near
the middle of http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...q&hl=en&geocod
e=&q=cambridge&sll=51.407017,-0.260955&sspn=0.008486,0.015256&ie=UTF8&hq
=&hnear=Cambridge,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.205401,0.1 21434&spn=0.002084,0.0
05858&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.205452,0.121306&panoid= PnmB3cj0TCP3vyjL76Mfsg
&cbp=12,187.87,,0,7.47

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Mr.G[_3_] October 29th 09 09:47 PM

West London Line - what recession?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:10:03 -0700 (PDT), E27002
wrote:

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

Must be a very lucrative contract if you can afford World Market
ex-pat prices! ;)

E27002 October 29th 09 10:05 PM

wrote:

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. *I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. *Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. *Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

Must be a very lucrative contract if you can afford World Market
ex-pat prices! * ;)

Tea is sixty three percent more than the UK price according to a very
quick calculation still less than paying postage from the UK. And, I
do not have to inconvenience family members.

Still thanks for the thought provoking post. Next time I work a UK
assignment I will be sure to add plenty of tea to "bring back"
list. :-)