London Banter

-   -   Are droids really that stupid (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9787-droids-really-stupid.html)

Paul Cummins[_2_] October 25th 09 09:40 PM

Are droids really that stupid

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Yes - based on what you've posted. If you could say exactly what the
Travelcard was for then that would just confirm matters. I got the
impression you travelled in from outside the zones - not that it
should make any different whatsoever provided the date and zones were
fine.

ODTC was Winchester - Z123456 Route Woking. It was in date, on a railcard
which I was carrying and showed with the ticket when required.

The oyster is kept in the same wallet for convenience, behind the
railcard.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Paul Scott October 26th 09 09:11 AM

Are droids really that stupid

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Yes - based on what you've posted. If you could say exactly what the
Travelcard was for then that would just confirm matters. I got the
impression you travelled in from outside the zones - not that it
should make any different whatsoever provided the date and zones were
fine.

ODTC was Winchester - Z123456 Route Woking. It was in date, on a railcard
which I was carrying and showed with the ticket when required.

The oyster is kept in the same wallet for convenience, behind the
railcard.

I had a query using a similar Network discounted travelcard on Tramlink a
year or so back, without being asked to present my Oyster card though, which
I too keep in the same wallet as my Network Card.

Got the impression the gripper wasn't familiar with the format at all. What
I had to do was explain how it was a combined 'mainlline return' + 'all
zones travelcard'. Valid in all zones, but then didn't they used to just
read R1256 or Z1256 (haven't got an old one to hand) - might the numbering
system have added to the confusion at that time?

Paul S

[email protected] October 26th 09 11:03 AM

(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

They still say R1256 Zones, or did in May anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Corfield October 26th 09 11:07 AM

Are droids really that stupid

On Oct 25, 10:40*pm, (Paul Cummins) wrote:
In article ,

(Paul Corfield) wrote:
Yes - based on what you've posted. If you could say exactly what the
Travelcard was for then that would just confirm matters. I got the
impression you travelled in from outside the zones - not that it
should make any different whatsoever provided the date and zones were
fine.

ODTC was Winchester - Z123456 Route Woking. It was in date, on a railcard
which I was carrying and showed with the ticket when required.

That's certainly valid.

The oyster is kept in the same wallet for convenience, behind the
railcard.

And that creates no obligation for you to have validated it because
your ODTC is demonstrably the valid ticket.

--
Paul C
via Google.

Paul Scott October 26th 09 11:54 AM

wrote:

Got the impression the gripper wasn't familiar with the format at
all. What I had to do was explain how it was a combined 'mainlline
return' + 'all zones travelcard'. Valid in all zones, but then
didn't they used to just read R1256 or Z1256 (haven't got an old
one to hand) - might the numbering system have added to the
confusion at that time?

They still say R1256 Zones, or did in May anyway.

Ah, [after some delay while searches previous posts] - I see Paul Corfield
reported the T/Cs 'destination' was changing on 6th Sept, from eg 'R1256' to
'London Zones 1-6', aimed at clarification of what it actually meant.

Haven't used one myself yet. Anyone know if the change actually happen as
planned?

Paul S

John Salmon[_4_] October 26th 09 01:52 PM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Got the impression the gripper wasn't familiar with the format at
all. What I had to do was explain how it was a combined 'mainlline
return' + 'all zones travelcard'. Valid in all zones, but then
didn't they used to just read R1256 or Z1256 (haven't got an old
one to hand) - might the numbering system have added to the
confusion at that time?

They still say R1256 Zones, or did in May anyway.

Ah, [after some delay while searches previous posts] - I see Paul Corfield
reported the T/Cs 'destination' was changing on 6th Sept, from eg 'R1256'
to 'London Zones 1-6', aimed at clarification of what it actually meant.

Haven't used one myself yet. Anyone know if the change actually happen as
planned?

Was that meant to be for both inboundary and outboundary types? The Off-Peak
Day Travelcard I bought on Friday (23rd October) shows "Between LONDON KINGS
X * & R1256 ZONES" Route ANY PERMITTED.

Michael R N Dolbear October 26th 09 04:12 PM

Are droids really that stupid

wrote

(Paul Scott) wrote:

Got the impression the gripper wasn't familiar with the format at
all. What I had to do was explain how it was a combined 'mainlline

return' + 'all zones travelcard'. Valid in all zones, but then
didn't they used to just read R1256 or Z1256 (haven't got an old
one to hand) - might the numbering system have added to the
confusion at that time?

They still say R1256 Zones, or did in May anyway.

As noted on this group, it's changed and a Day Travelcard now (October)
says

-station name- & LONDON ZONES 1-6

--
Mike D

Neil Williams October 26th 09 08:29 PM

Are droids really that stupid

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:52:32 -0000, "John Salmon"
wrote:

Was that meant to be for both inboundary and outboundary types? The Off-Peak
Day Travelcard I bought on Friday (23rd October) shows "Between LONDON KINGS
X * & R1256 ZONES" Route ANY PERMITTED.

The Anytime one I bought today says "Between MILTON KEYNES C & LONDON
ZONES 1-6".

Neil

--
Neil Williams

MIG October 26th 09 09:22 PM

Are droids really that stupid

wrote:
Was that meant to be for both inboundary and outboundary types? The Off-Peak
Day Travelcard I bought on Friday (23rd October) shows "Between LONDON KINGS
X * & R1256 ZONES" Route ANY PERMITTED.

The Anytime one I bought today says "Between MILTON KEYNES C & LONDON
ZONES 1-6".

A monthly season I got a month ago (ie September) has "ZONES 1 - 6".

The one I got a month before that seems to say "R1256".

I say "seems" because another change is that the ink has gone less
disappeary with the recent ones.

So I suspect it may be another situation where not all machines at
each station have been replaced at the same time, but new or
refurbished machines incorporate the new description and a new
printing method.

Paul Cummins[_2_] October 26th 09 11:39 PM

Are droids really that stupid

In article
,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

And that creates no obligation for you to have validated it because
your ODTC is demonstrably the valid ticket.

And as of 11.38 this morning, my Oyster doesn't work...

I am not happy. Indeed, if you look southwest, towards the orange glow in
the sky - that is my level of not-happy-ness.

Another trip to London coming up, to The Broadway. At their expense, cos
I'll bill the *******s