Old October 26th 09, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Some more Oyster news

Paul Corfield wrote:

Routeing validators launch from 6 September 2009 as does the
associated multiple fare option. These validators will be identified
by having a pink oyster pad rather than the familiar yellow one.

Is that the only distinction? How are the colourblind supposed to tell them
apart?

Old October 26th 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 26, 2:43*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

Routeing validators launch from 6 September 2009 as does the
associated multiple fare option. *These validators will be identified
by having a pink oyster pad rather than the familiar yellow one.

Is that the only distinction? How are the colourblind supposed to tell them
apart?

I am colour blind but do not have any issue with distinguishing
between pink and yellow. It may affect some people but red / green is
the most prevalent form of colour blindness. If they had been green
and brown then it might well be a nightmare (for me at least). To be
fair the leaflets do list where they are so people are being told
where to find the specific route validators as opposed to any other
sort.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old October 26th 09, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 07:55:24 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
I am colour blind but do not have any issue with distinguishing
between pink and yellow. It may affect some people but red / green is
the most prevalent form of colour blindness. If they had been green
and brown then it might well be a nightmare (for me at least). To be
fair the leaflets do list where they are so people are being told
where to find the specific route validators as opposed to any other
sort.

Just out of curiosity , can you see red traffic lights? Is there any sort
of glow from the red bulb or is it just black to you?

I remember reading somewhere that people who are colourblind to red would
be actually blind if taken into a photographic dark room because they can't
see the red light used and the rods in the eye arn't sensitive to that
wavelength. Only the red codes which they don't have.

B2003

Old October 26th 09, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0000, Basil Jet wrote:

Routeing validators launch from 6 September 2009 as does the
associated multiple fare option. These validators will be identified
by having a pink oyster pad rather than the familiar yellow one.

Is that the only distinction? How are the colourblind supposed to tell them
apart?

There's a sign next to them saying something like "Oyster Route
Validator".

I don't have a picture but I'm sure someone will be along with one
shortly.
Old October 27th 09, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:01:11 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
People, on hearing I am colour blind, do what you have done - ask me to
identify particular colours on clothing or other things or so say "do
you see in black and white" and "can you read traffic lights". While I
understand why they ask they are often far from convinced if I manage to
get nearly all the colours correct.

Perhaps you're not as colour blind as you've been led to believe?

Anyway , I was just curious - I don't know anyone who's colourblind to ask.

B2003

Old October 27th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Aug, 19:53, "Paul Scott" wrote:

I don't think the question of through trains was satisfactorily answered
when routeing validation was first discussed here, after Paul C first
pointed it out. I'm thinking for instance of Clapham J via Willesden J to
somewhere round the east end of the NLL. Might be obvious to 'touch the
pink' while waiting for an interchange at Willesden J, but what happens with
the peak through train, or ultimately with the 2 tph WLL shuttle and 2 tph
all day through service?

Paul S

I recently went on a Shepherd's Bush (LO) to Snaresbrook (LU) journey
via Willesden Junction and the NLL via Stratford. At Shepherd's Bush
I caught the Clapham Jn - Willesden Jn train so had to alight at the
latter and wait for the Richmond - Stratford service. Unfortunately,
there are no pink validators on either of the two "High Level"
platforms and you have to go down a flight of steps to the middle
level ( by the exit gates and ticket office ) to find the closest one.
The one saving grace is that if you have to go to the east end of the
NLL and you do catch the Clapham - Willesden train you should have
enough time to get the the pink validator and return to you platform
before the next scheduled Richmond - Stratford service !!!!!!! Not
sure what you would do if you were on a Clapham - Stratford service
though.

Old October 27th 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Uncle-C" wrote in message

I recently went on a Shepherd's Bush (LO) to Snaresbrook (LU) journey
via Willesden Junction and the NLL via Stratford. At Shepherd's Bush
I caught the Clapham Jn - Willesden Jn train so had to alight at the
latter and wait for the Richmond - Stratford service. Unfortunately,
there are no pink validators on either of the two "High Level"
platforms and you have to go down a flight of steps to the middle
level ( by the exit gates and ticket office ) to find the closest one.
The one saving grace is that if you have to go to the east end of the
NLL and you do catch the Clapham - Willesden train you should have
enough time to get the the pink validator and return to you platform
before the next scheduled Richmond - Stratford service !!!!!!! Not
sure what you would do if you were on a Clapham - Stratford service
though.

The alternative fare for Shepherds Bush (LO) to Snaresbrook only requires
you to use the interchange reader at Stratford, according to TfL's website
'single fares finder'. So in the case of your journey it looks like the you
didn't actually have to do anything at Willesden Junction...

Paul

Old October 27th 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Oct, 11:07, "Paul Scott" wrote:

The alternative fare for Shepherds Bush (LO) to Snaresbrook only requires
you to use the interchange reader at Stratford, according to TfL's website
'single fares finder'. *So in the case of your journey it looks like the you
didn't actually have to do anything at Willesden Junction...

Paul

Thanks. Prior to the start of the journey ( origin South Ruislip) I
was told by station staff that I would not need to touch the
validators at either Willesden Jn or Stratford because the system
should recognise what route I am taking when I touch in at Shepherd's
Bush LO (when making the switch from LU to LO). I did not want to take
a risk so just to be safe I touch the validators at both WJ and
Stratford. The TFL website for the South Ruislip - Snaresbrook
mentions nothing of touching the validator at Stratford so I assume
touching in at Shepherd's Bush does validate the journey as a non zone
1 fare ? Could anyone confirm ? Like I said earlier I touched the pink
validators at both WJ and Stratford just to make 100% sure that I
wasn't going to be charged the Z1 fare.
Just a final note, if indeed the system does trigger the non Z1 route
and fare when touching in at Shepherd's Bush LO then surely there
would be no need for passengers to touch the validators at Stratford
if one is making , for example, a Shepherd's Bush LO to Leytonstone
journey or for that matter a Shepherd's Bush to any station east of
the NLL at Stratford trip ?

cheers,

Old October 27th 09, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Uncle-C wrote:

Thanks. Prior to the start of the journey ( origin South Ruislip) I
was told by station staff that I would not need to touch the
validators at either Willesden Jn or Stratford because the system
should recognise what route I am taking when I touch in at Shepherd's
Bush LO (when making the switch from LU to LO). I did not want to take
a risk so just to be safe I touch the validators at both WJ and
Stratford. The TFL website for the South Ruislip - Snaresbrook
mentions nothing of touching the validator at Stratford so I assume
touching in at Shepherd's Bush does validate the journey as a non zone
1 fare ?

Ah - based on your earlier post I'd only checked 'Shepherds Bush (LO) to
Snaresbrook'. As you say, an 'enroute' change there already incorporates the
necessary route validation, as shown by the single fares finder. I'll leave
others to ponder why starting at Shep Bush (LO) requires validation at
Stratford...

Paul S

Old October 27th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 27 Oct, 17:08, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Uncle-C wrote:
[...]

It must be because LO and the Central Line use the same station at
Shepherds Bush and different stations at Stratford.

Oh, hang on ...