Old November 4th 09, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Lord Adonis announces tram-trains for the Abbey Line

On Nov 4, 1:31*am, D7666 wrote:
On Nov 4, 9:15*am, Matthew Geier

wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:29:49 -0800, E27002 wrote:
Where will this tram be maintained? *How will it reach that location? If
it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled by
another motive power unit.

My best guess is that these issues have been considered.

*Siemens has already built a batch of 'Avanto' 'tram-trains' that are
equipped for 25kAC/750vDC operation and are even fitted with appropriate
train protection equipment for the area they operate in.

*All you need to do is borrow one Avanto from RAPT (Paris T4) for a while
to try out.

Perhaps they could re-import ex-DLR cars that were exported 2nd hand
to Essen (but were imported new anyway.

The 11 P86 sets would be about the right fleet size x5 2-set trains
and one spare unit )

Even have grandfather rights ?

Not that I am aware Essen are selling them .

Correct me if I am wrong: The DLR cars are DC only. The issue here is
the need to function under the 25 kV AC wire. Also, are they still
third rail only? Or, did Essen add a DC pantograph?

Old November 6th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Nov 6, 10:02*am, David Jackman pleasereplytogroup wrote:
E27002 wrote in news:5a91ccd3-e16a-4f8e-b721-
:

On Nov 3, 1:07*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 05:01:01 -0800 (PST), Rob
wrote:

There has been a campaign to run the Abbey Flyer into Euston in the
past, but it always ran into the problem that Virgin needed the train
paths, whereas St Albans already has a direct route into London
(albeit very overloaded)

There has to be room on the slow lines, as LM are increasing the
service in December with some Watford shuttles that could easily run
through from St Albans if the infrastructure was sorted.

Where will this tram be maintained? *How will it reach that location?
If it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled by
another motive power unit.

My best guess is that these issues have been considered.

Why on earth would you want to get Network Rail involved?

Isn't one of the attractions of this that you are isolated from the "big
railway" and won't need to comply with (or have rolling stock that complies
with) Group Statdards?

Indeed. However, when I posted the foregoing, I was not aware that
the route was to have its own tram depot.

Old November 6th 09, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Nov 4, 4:04*pm, E27002 wrote:

On Nov 4, 1:31*am, D7666 wrote:

Perhaps they could re-import ex-DLR cars that were exported 2nd hand
to Essen (but were imported new anyway.

The 11 P86 sets would be about the right fleet size x5 2-set trains
and one spare unit )

Correct me if I am wrong: The DLR cars are DC only. *The issue here is
the need to function under the 25 kV AC wire. *Also, are they still
third rail only? *Or, did Essen add a DC pantograph?- Hide quoted text -

Did the ) in my msg pass you by ?

--
Nick

Old November 7th 09, 04:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

wrote:

There has been a campaign to run the Abbey Flyer into Euston in the
past, but it always ran into the problem that Virgin needed the train
paths, whereas St Albans already has a direct route into London
(albeit very overloaded)

There has to be room on the slow lines, as LM are increasing the
service in December with some Watford shuttles that could easily run
through from St Albans if the infrastructure was sorted.

Where will this tram be maintained? *How will it reach that location?
If it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled by
another motive power unit.

My best guess is that these issues have been considered.

Where will this tram be maintained? How will it reach that location?
If it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled
by
another motive power unit.

Are you mad? No they'd load it on to an Alley's low loader every night
for the move to Bletchley depot. Come one now man, get a grip of
yourself. We can't have rolling stock being moved from location to
another by rail!! Its just not British!
Old November 7th 09, 04:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Nov 4, 5:04*pm, E27002 wrote:
On Nov 4, 1:31*am, D7666 wrote:

On Nov 4, 9:15*am, Matthew Geier

wrote:
[...]

As they did for the DLR Metrolink demonstator in Gorton some years
ago. Unit 11 if my memory serves me right. That was exciting. i
wonder, did they stable or load/unload the unir at Reddish depot that
time?
Old November 7th 09, 07:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"D7666" wrote in message
On Nov 4, 9:15 am, Matthew Geier
wrote:

Siemens has already built a batch of 'Avanto' 'tram-trains' that are
equipped for 25kAC/750vDC operation and are even fitted with appropriate
train protection equipment for the area they operate in.

I've already posted Avantos exist way back upthread.

It is about the 42nd time I've mentioned Avanto in various thread in
this forum over recent years, yet every new thread about tram/trains
trots out the same uninformed drivel about perceived 25 kV / 750 V
trams not exisitng, need to re-wire 25 kV to 750 V etc, when they do
exist and are well proven. There are even electro-diesel options
although not sure if any of those have actually been built yet.

--
Nick

And for that matter, battery equipped units to get past environmentally
sensitive areas - even trolley buses doing that with batteries (see Peking,
Wellington for examples).

DW down under

Old November 7th 09, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:50:23 -0800 (PST), Paul
wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:29=A0pm, E27002 wrote:
On Nov 3, 1:07=A0pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote: On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 05:01:01 -0800 (PST), Rob rob_s_sm...@hotmail=

.com
wrote:

There has been a campaign to run the Abbey Flyer into Euston in the
past, but it always ran into the problem that Virgin needed the train
paths, whereas St Albans already has a direct route into London
(albeit very overloaded)

There has to be room on the slow lines, as LM are increasing the
service in December with some Watford shuttles that could easily run
through from St Albans if the infrastructure was sorted.

Where will this tram be maintained? =A0How will it reach that location?
If it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled by
another motive power unit.

My best guess is that these issues have been considered.

Where will this tram be maintained? How will it reach that location?
If it is to reach Bletchley, it will have to be 25 kV Ac, or pulled
by
another motive power unit.

Are you mad? No they'd load it on to an Alley's low loader every night
for the move to Bletchley depot. Come one now man, get a grip of
yourself. We can't have rolling stock being moved from location to
another by rail!! Its just not British!

You missed an earler post which said that room for a depot had been
identified at st Albans. However the official answer now is that this
is up to the contractor to sort out. I would have throught that
Watford or the former North Watford sidings, had beter potential depot
space.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old November 7th 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

wrote:

[...]

Does it really make sense to have a dedicated maintenance facility just
for this one tram? Or when we say 'depot', do we mean 'somewhere to sleep
at night plus somewhere for light maintenance eg changing the light
bulbs', with heavy work being done at an existing major depot reached by
rail or low-loader?

tom

--
Kevin was inspired as an actor by Super Engineer A.K.A Wondergirl T-rav
Camelang -- Wikipedia, on Kevin Bacon