London Banter

-   -   Oyster PAYG twixt Viccy and Balham (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9897-oyster-payg-twixt-viccy-balham.html)

Sky Rider November 7th 09 11:02 AM

Oyster PAYG twixt Viccy and Balham

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...s/oyster-card/

Ian F. November 7th 09 11:07 AM

"Sky Rider" wrote in message

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...s/oyster-card/

Yup, had an e-mail from the Tooting MP to tell us about it and how
tirelessly *he'd* been working to enable it - load of total ********!

It's certainly a start - let's hope the scheme grows quickly.

Ian

D7666 November 7th 09 11:52 AM

On Nov 7, 12:07*pm, "Ian F." wrote:

"Sky Rider" wrote in message

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...-types/oyster-...

It's certainly a start - let's hope the scheme grows quickly.

According to a msg posted on another forum FCC Oyster extension
startes 02/01/10.

Please note I am only re-posting this message, I have NOT seen this
gen in an official source, only on a web group, so please do not
criticise me if for errors and ommissions and inaccuracies.

Quote:
''... from Saturday 2nd January 2010 PAYG Oyster is vaild on FCC
and "along with all London and South East train operators"
Thameslink route customers will be able to use
Oyster PAYG:
* between Elstree & Borehamwood (Zone 6) in
the north and East Croydon (Zone 5) in the south
* at all Wimbledon Loop stations, which are all
within the London Fare zones (1–6)
Great Northern route customers will be able to use
Oyster PAYG:
* between London and Hadley Wood on the Welwyn Garden City line
* between London and Crews Hill on the Hertford Loop ...''

--
Nick

[email protected] November 7th 09 12:08 PM

Ian F. wrote:
"Sky Rider" wrote in message

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...s/oyster-card/

Yup, had an e-mail from the Tooting MP to tell us about it and how
tirelessly *he'd* been working to enable it - load of total ********!

It's certainly a start - let's hope the scheme grows quickly.

Ian

I wonder if they have ever considered zoning the country, similar to
what is done for transport in the Netherlands, so that one card or set
of cards is good for rail and bus transport throughout.

Admittedly, the Netherlands is a lot smaller than the United Kingdom.

Neil Williams November 7th 09 03:56 PM

Oyster PAYG twixt Viccy and Balham

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:08:22 +0000, "
wrote:

I wonder if they have ever considered zoning the country, similar to
what is done for transport in the Netherlands, so that one card or set
of cards is good for rail and bus transport throughout.

The Netherlands has done away with zones - the OV-Chipkaart is based
on a "starting fare" (EUR 0.70 at present) plus a kilometric value
that differs between regions (though not, seemingly, between operators
within those regions).

Indeed, if you went for a very simple implementation, an electronic
purse smart card would be easy to do, particularly for buses. It's
things like capping and standardised fares that make it difficult.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

David Jackman[_2_] November 7th 09 06:26 PM

Oyster PAYG twixt Viccy and Balham

Sky Rider wrote in
:

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...-types/oyster-

card/

Is there any (public) printed documentation on the new PAYG fares?

David

Paul Scott November 7th 09 07:11 PM

wrote:

I wonder if they have ever considered zoning the country, similar to
what is done for transport in the Netherlands, so that one card or set
of cards is good for rail and bus transport throughout.

Indeed, if you went for a very simple implementation, an electronic
purse smart card would be easy to do, particularly for buses. It's
things like capping and standardised fares that make it difficult.

The main thing that makes it difficult is deciding what to deduct on entry.
obviously a First Class 'National pre pay card' would need to hold a balance
of something over £1000 on journey commencement...

Paul S

Paul Scott November 7th 09 08:01 PM

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Sky Rider" wrote in message

According to Southern it should be enabled tomorrow.

http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...s/oyster-card/

Yup, had an e-mail from the Tooting MP to tell us about it and how
tirelessly *he'd* been working to enable it - load of total ********!

It's certainly a start - let's hope the scheme grows quickly.

TfL announced in one of the recent mayoral briefing papers that 2 Jan is the
NR go live date throughout the zones.

In a u.t.l thread a few days ago I was asking about Zone G - 'c2c fares
outside zone 6'...

Paul S

[email protected] November 7th 09 09:26 PM

wrote:

I wonder if they have ever considered zoning the country, similar to
what is done for transport in the Netherlands, so that one card or set
of cards is good for rail and bus transport throughout.

Indeed, if you went for a very simple implementation, an electronic
purse smart card would be easy to do, particularly for buses. It's
things like capping and standardised fares that make it difficult.

The main thing that makes it difficult is deciding what to deduct on entry.
obviously a First Class 'National pre pay card' would need to hold a balance
of something over £1000 on journey commencement...

Paul S

Or they could bill people for the journey afterwards.

Arthur Figgis November 8th 09 09:17 AM

wrote:

I wonder if they have ever considered zoning the country, similar to
what is done for transport in the Netherlands, so that one card or set
of cards is good for rail and bus transport throughout.

Indeed, if you went for a very simple implementation, an electronic
purse smart card would be easy to do, particularly for buses. It's
things like capping and standardised fares that make it difficult.

The main thing that makes it difficult is deciding what to deduct on
entry. obviously a First Class 'National pre pay card' would need to
hold a balance of something over £1000 on journey commencement...

Paul S

Or they could bill people for the journey afterwards.

That could raise tin-foil hat issues.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK