Old November 19th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG on National Rail from 02.01.10 : A fare question.

"asdf" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:08:02 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Now a question - does anyone know at what farescales the following
would be charged at?

Ealing Broadway - Paddington
Ealing Broadway - Edgware Road

Yes, this one is interesting - I'd forgotten the Paddington suburban
NR platforms shared a gateline with the H&C.

Seems to be the same conundrum as my West Brompton - Wimbledon upthread.

Presumably it'll be handled as the possibly-via-Z1 journeys are now,
i.e. it'll be assumed you took the quickest and most direct route, and
if there is a longer route that is cheaper, an interchange validator
will be provided to allow you to claim the cheaper fare.

Can't see that being an issue, I'm thinking of District directly or LO/SWT
via Clapham Junction, both are Z2-Z3 journeys. A default 'via Z1' fare would
be rather odd...

I'm just thinking with a common gateline at Wimbledon there is no way for
the system to tell if your route involved NR, just like Ealing Broadway -
Paddington shared H&C/NR gateline.

Paul S

Old November 19th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Nov, 17:14, Tom Barry wrote:
Ahem. *Example time.

West Ealing (Z3) - Paddington (Z1)

Currently: £2.70/£2.20 (Peak/Offpeak).
Moving to: £2.60/£2.00

Not sure where you get the new fares from, but I have it on *very*
good authority (Fares Director, FGW, last night, face-to-face) that
there will be NO DIFFERENCE, as now, in fares from FGW zonal stations
and the TfL fare to any zone. FGW will continue to use TfL zonal
fares.

Apparently agreed with TfL when decision taken to accept Oyster.

In email communications, I have the same statement from Chiltern. That
their zonal fares West Ruislip inwards will be trhe same as the TfL
zonal fares and they are NOT adopting the higher TOC zonal fares.
Old November 19th 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris wrote:
On 16 Nov, 17:14, Tom Barry wrote:
Ahem. Example time.

West Ealing (Z3) - Paddington (Z1)

Currently: £2.70/£2.20 (Peak/Offpeak).
Moving to: £2.60/£2.00

Not sure where you get the new fares from, but I have it on *very*
good authority (Fares Director, FGW, last night, face-to-face) that
there will be NO DIFFERENCE, as now, in fares from FGW zonal stations
and the TfL fare to any zone. FGW will continue to use TfL zonal
fares.

Apparently agreed with TfL when decision taken to accept Oyster.

In email communications, I have the same statement from Chiltern. That
their zonal fares West Ruislip inwards will be trhe same as the TfL
zonal fares and they are NOT adopting the higher TOC zonal fares.

As we seem to be teasing out, FGW would have difficulty having different
fares, because of their common gatelines with LU at some key stations...

Paul S

Old November 22nd 09, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:55:09 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

In email communications, I have the same statement from Chiltern. That
their zonal fares West Ruislip inwards will be trhe same as the TfL
zonal fares and they are NOT adopting the higher TOC zonal fares.

Based on what you've written then it sounds to me as if there has been
an agreement to extend the interavailability provisions for these
particular lines. I am slightly surprised about that but the common
gatelines at Ealing Broadway and Paddington are certainly an issue. I
wonder also if the fact that Marylebone is an OSI might have played a
part in the Chiltern decision?

Why would it? The only difference I can see it making is that it makes
charging the higher fares technically possible (as there's an
obligatory "route validation" at Marylebone) - but they've decided
*not* to charge the higher fares.
Old November 22nd 09, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:08:17 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Now a question - does anyone know at what farescales the following
would be charged at?

Ealing Broadway - Paddington
Ealing Broadway - Edgware Road

Yes, this one is interesting - I'd forgotten the Paddington suburban
NR platforms shared a gateline with the H&C.

Seems to be the same conundrum as my West Brompton - Wimbledon upthread.

Presumably it'll be handled as the possibly-via-Z1 journeys are now,
i.e. it'll be assumed you took the quickest and most direct route, and
if there is a longer route that is cheaper, an interchange validator
will be provided to allow you to claim the cheaper fare.

Can't see that being an issue, I'm thinking of District directly or LO/SWT
via Clapham Junction, both are Z2-Z3 journeys. A default 'via Z1' fare would
be rather odd...

I wasn't suggesting it would be charged as via Z1. I was suggesting
that the default fare would be the District one, and if the Clapham
Junction route were cheaper, a route validator would be provided there
to allow passengers to claim the cheaper fare.

Old November 22nd 09, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:08:17 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Seems to be the same conundrum as my West Brompton - Wimbledon upthread.

Presumably it'll be handled as the possibly-via-Z1 journeys are now,
i.e. it'll be assumed you took the quickest and most direct route, and
if there is a longer route that is cheaper, an interchange validator
will be provided to allow you to claim the cheaper fare.

Can't see that being an issue, I'm thinking of District directly or LO/SWT
via Clapham Junction, both are Z2-Z3 journeys. A default 'via Z1' fare
would
be rather odd...

I wasn't suggesting it would be charged as via Z1. I was suggesting
that the default fare would be the District one, and if the Clapham
Junction route were cheaper, a route validator would be provided there
to allow passengers to claim the cheaper fare.

ISWYM now, thanks. On the face of it. the route above would intuitively
need to deal with three options; District only (direct at TfL rate),
Overground + SWT (TfL+NR) , and SN + SWT(NR)?

But AIUI from the fare tables, the latter options ought to be more expensive
than the direct, so if differentiation was to be achieved with a route
validator, why would anyone bother?

Paul S

Paul