Showing results 1 to 25 of 75
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: allantracy
Forum: London Transport January 11th 13, 07:34 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By allantracy
London Underground superlatives: the oldest … the largest?

Bakerloo: * * 11 new, 23 shared [1]
Central: * * *26 new, 55 takeover
Circle: * * * *1 new [2]
District: * * 30 new, 28 takeover, 8 licenced [3]
H&C: * * * * * 9 new, *7 takeover
Forum: London Transport January 11th 13, 04:30 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By allantracy
London Underground superlatives: the oldest … the largest?

"The London Underground celebrates its much-publicised 150th birthday this
week. The system is the oldest in the world – nearly four decades older
than any of the world’s other large metro...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 12, 10:50 AM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Indeed, I will look at a copy left on a train, or read it online. *I
would never buy the rag. It is truly appalling to read how much these
people want to control other's lives. *Even worse...
Forum: London Transport December 20th 12, 10:41 AM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Perhaps it is time to change the Guardian's name back to "The Manchester
Guardian".

Does the Guardian know where Manchester is? Though to be fair to them,
it isn't on the Underground...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 03:47 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Blimey, that lot fails to tick more than a few boxes, on the PC check
list, at the Guardian.

Do you regard the BMJ as a bunch of commies,...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 03:17 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

On 18 Dec, 16:13, Anthony Polson wrote:
77002 wrote:
At 2d (a little
under 0.5p) the price was actually a little on the high side.

2d is...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 03:07 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Few ordinary newspaper-reading people on the Clapham omnibus today,
whether they read some hard-line authoritarian right-wing Murdoch rag or a
slightly liberal middle-of-the-road paper like...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 02:42 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By allantracy
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

The tube routes should never be confused with the earlier sub surface
lines. *Although I guess we should not be surprised that this is lost
on the bourgeois communists at the...
Forum: London Transport December 3rd 12, 04:40 PM
Replies: 66
Posted By allantracy
Aldwych / Strand Underground

For those of us, not London based, and whose world view of London owes
mostly (or even only) to the scale afforded by the Tube map, what was
the extent of the inconvenience (if any) that was caused...
Forum: London Transport November 7th 12, 07:18 PM
Replies: 101
Posted By allantracy
London bus and Tube fares go up 4.2% from January

I've never stumbled over a Boris-Bike rank on my various recent trips to
London[1], nor of course would I impose a bike on my fellow travellers
on the train to London.

I've nearly stumbled...
Forum: London Transport September 19th 12, 05:50 PM
Replies: 61
Posted By allantracy
Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

Would you need to swipe if you're just using a standard Travelcard
ticket?

If you have a magnetic Travelcard then you use it at gates where they
are working. Obviously you must show it...
Forum: London Transport September 19th 12, 12:53 PM
Replies: 61
Posted By allantracy
Hayes & Harlington - Victoria/London Oyster Cards

And one thing to watch out for, Network Rail often leave the barriers open,
inviting you to just walk though whilst forgetting to "swipe" your Oyster -
and then the ticket inspector does you...
Forum: London Transport September 13th 12, 07:21 PM
Replies: 27
Posted By allantracy
Metropolitan Extending East.

Now that the Circle goes to Hammersmith, why even have the H&C? *TfL
can just extent the Uxbridge trains to Barking. *Edgware Rd to Baker
St will be Circle only. *That will simplify...
Forum: London Transport August 17th 12, 07:59 PM
Replies: 19
Posted By allantracy
Thailand - railway through Market

We've got the same thing in Birmingham, only different.

Bus routes not railways, on certain main roads through the Balti
Quarter, only no bugger gets out of the way.
Forum: London Transport August 14th 12, 08:46 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By allantracy
Didn't it all go rather well?

Yeah,

what part of the above stops them saying to LOCOG,

"We can't use these seats, you can sell them to normal punters"?

I do believe that's what actually happened but as the games...
Forum: London Transport August 13th 12, 07:10 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By allantracy
Didn't it all go rather well?

Well, he gets a very bad press although I've always admired him (much
better than both successors), so well done to Tony Blair (and Dame
Tessa) for over-ruling the do-nothing 'management of...
Forum: London Transport August 13th 12, 07:01 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By allantracy
Didn't it all go rather well?

That's why I asked (and also the general issue of people doing what
they've been rehearsed to do, rather than going off on their own).

ps Anyone else think Posh Spice looked less than...
Forum: London Transport August 13th 12, 06:56 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By allantracy
Didn't it all go rather well?

The main reason for the empty seats is that a large percentage are given
away free to sponsors and national (as in "other nations") Olympic and
sports organisations.

The various sporting...
Forum: London Transport August 13th 12, 06:49 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By allantracy
Didn't it all go rather well?

In particular, all four routes south from the Trafalgar Square area have
been shut to cars and taxis from 6am to midnight every day, meaning
anyone trying to get from the west end to most of...
Forum: London Transport July 14th 12, 01:58 PM
Replies: 51
Posted By allantracy
TV Alert: Building The London Underground

It hopelessly confuses the Crossrail and the TfL systems. *A lot of banging
and crashing "music" and voice-of-doom commentary. *I suppose that they are
using "London Underground" in a generic...
Forum: London Transport July 2nd 12, 06:32 PM
Replies: 130
Posted By allantracy
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

Labour has, by now, a long record of opposing Tory reforms, in
opposition, around the public sector and then failing to do a...
Forum: London Transport July 2nd 12, 03:55 PM
Replies: 130
Posted By allantracy
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

So on the basis of your argument, David Cameron must also be setting
himself (and the country) up for a great big fall. * ;-)

Isn't he?

Possibly, though quite how you fall out of a...
Forum: London Transport July 2nd 12, 03:29 PM
Replies: 130
Posted By allantracy
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

Yes, it is just as believable as Harold Wilson & co. saying they will
halt the Beeching closures. But as for the EU - sooner or later, we will
get a UK government that will tell EU precisely...
Forum: London Transport July 2nd 12, 03:19 PM
Replies: 130
Posted By allantracy
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

Friedmanite dogma is a good example of Einstein's statement that
insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a
different result.

Err... wasn't it Friedmanite...
Forum: London Transport July 2nd 12, 02:20 PM
Replies: 130
Posted By allantracy
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer

Cannot the operating company and the infrastructure nonetheless be
state-owned?

Indeed but IMU the work performed on it has to be publicly advertised
to the rest of the EU and then...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 75

Forum Jump