Old January 3rd 10, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default London Bridge interchange

On 3 Jan, 21:34, MIG wrote:
On 3 Jan, 15:13, asdf wrote:

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:16:51 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:
*Which is presumably why the northbound Bakerloo at Piccadilly Circus
had to be extended over the crossover at the north end,

I didn't know the northbound platform had been extended over the
crossover. Does this mean a southbound train using the crossover to
enter the northbound platform has to go beyond the platform before it
can reverse and become a northbound train?

Ah, no, because like many Bakerloo stations, the platforms are on the
outside, unlike the island platform layout that was used on the CLR.

So from the platform, you simply look across the crossover. *I should
have said "beyond" rather than "over".

Duh. I see what you mean now.

Yes, I suppose so, but maybe they'd only reverse north from the
southbound platform.

Old January 3rd 10, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 3 Jan, 21:37, MIG wrote:
On 3 Jan, 21:34, MIG wrote:

On 3 Jan, 15:13, asdf wrote:

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:16:51 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:
*Which is presumably why the northbound Bakerloo at Piccadilly Circus
had to be extended over the crossover at the north end,

I didn't know the northbound platform had been extended over the
crossover. Does this mean a southbound train using the crossover to
enter the northbound platform has to go beyond the platform before it
can reverse and become a northbound train?

Ah, no, because like many Bakerloo stations, the platforms are on the
outside, unlike the island platform layout that was used on the CLR.

So from the platform, you simply look across the crossover. *I should
have said "beyond" rather than "over".

Duh. *I see what you mean now.

Yes, I suppose so, but maybe they'd only reverse north from the
southbound platform.

And in fact (why don't I check before posting) there's only the
trailing crossover, so you can't get into the northbound platform from
the north.
Old January 3rd 10, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:40:18 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:

On 3 Jan, 21:37, MIG wrote:
On 3 Jan, 21:34, MIG wrote:
On 3 Jan, 15:13, asdf wrote:

[...]

I guess I'm the one that should have checked - for some reason I
thought it was a facing crossover.
Old January 5th 10, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-01-04 00:55:12 +0000, asdf said:

On

Ah, no, because like many Bakerloo stations, the platforms are on the
outside, unlike the island platform layout that was used on the CLR.

So from the platform, you simply look across the crossover. *I should
have said "beyond" rather than "over".

Duh. *I see what you mean now.

Yes, I suppose so, but maybe they'd only reverse north from the
southbound platform.

And in fact (why don't I check before posting) there's only the
trailing crossover, so you can't get into the northbound platform from
the north.

I guess I'm the one that should have checked - for some reason I
thought it was a facing crossover.

My memory may be erroneous, but I thought that once there was a
scissors crossover here.

Old January 5th 10, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2010-01-04 00:55:12 +0000, asdf said:

On

Ah, no, because like many Bakerloo stations, the platforms are on the
outside, unlike the island platform layout that was used on the CLR.

So from the platform, you simply look across the crossover. I should
have said "beyond" rather than "over".

Duh. I see what you mean now.

Yes, I suppose so, but maybe they'd only reverse north from the
southbound platform.

And in fact (why don't I check before posting) there's only the
trailing crossover, so you can't get into the northbound platform from
the north.

I guess I'm the one that should have checked - for some reason I
thought it was a facing crossover.

My memory may be erroneous, but I thought that once there was a
scissors crossover here.

It was replaced last year, but it seems to have been the same
immediately before according to the 2002 Quail.

Old January 5th 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:33:12 on Sun, 3 Jan
2010, David A Stocks remarked:
The OPs suggestion that the Jubilee Line should have built further north
in order to facilitate an interchange with the existing Northern would
probably have meant putting the Jubilee Line plaforms under the river.

Only if the two sets of platforms aren't allowed to overlap. Looking at
the surface maps, and drawing a line between Waterloo, Southwark, and
London Bridge, it does seem very likely that the Jubilee line platforms
are south of Southwark St.

The Wiki page for the JLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Line_Extension

has a link to a satellite image showing ground settlement in Central London
thought to be due to the JLE. There is a large blob of red (denoting
settlement) along Southwark Street to the west of Borough High St, and
smaller blobs in the St Thomas St and Joiner St areas. It looks like the
route may have had to run between tower/office blocks in this area.

This would have been a bad interchange with the main line, and may well
have run into other problems because ISTR one of the reasons for building
a new southbound (rather than northbound) platform tunnel was that the new
tunnel had to be threaded around the foundations of both the current and
pre-1830 London Bridges, not to mention the old C&SLR tunnels to King
William Street station.

The C&SLR tunnels are above the Northern Line tunnels, so don't have to be
"threaded around". They also curve sharply just beyond the station

... although the C&SLR didn't have a station at London Bridge, but I know
what you mean

to cross the river west of the bridge, whereas the Northern Line goes to
the right.

The pre-1830 London Bridge was about 30m downstream of the current bridge,
so the Northern Line probably runs between the two sets of foundations. This
would make sense because I believe it was pre-1830 bridge foundations (which
had been there for about 600 years when the bridge was demolished) that were
considered to be a bigger problem than the either of the successor bridges.

It would also surprise me to find that the Northern Line platforms went
under the river, so that sets some kind of bound upon the southern end.
From the "liftshaft building" to the river bank is 400ft, so that's about
seven cars.

I can't find any plans/diagrams of the station online, but various pages on
subterranea britannica etc. agree with my memory of the station. The
passages from the bottom of the main escalator to the platforms didn't
change much when the station was enlarged and you could still see where the
bottom of the lift shaft was when I last went through. These pages

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/..._Street_5.html
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/RaggaJohn.html

have some particularly relevant detail.

D A Stocks

Old January 6th 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-01-04 00:55:12 +0000, asdf said:

My memory may be erroneous, but I thought that once there was a
scissors crossover here.

It was replaced last year, but it seems to have been the same
immediately before according to the 2002 Quail.

I'm talking about when my brother and I used to occasionally travel to
Willesden Junction. We, being aged about 8 and 6, called the north end
of the northbound Bakerloo platform at Piccadilly Circus 'The Noise
Box' because of the extremely loud noise of the 1938TS crashing over
the points. I'd say about 1963-5!

We got to hear this noise quite a lot, as it seemed to us that most
trains went to Stanmore and most of the rest terminated at Queens Park.
We couldn't catch the latter and change onto the Euston-Watford service
as it seemed to be against my father's religion.

Old January 6th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:28:41 on Tue, 5 Jan
2010, David A Stocks remarked:
The C&SLR tunnels are above the Northern Line tunnels, so don't have
to be "threaded around". They also curve sharply just beyond the
station

... although the C&SLR didn't have a station at London Bridge, but I
know what you mean

Having been in the C&SLR tunnels, and looked down (through some
ventilation grills) on the passengers on the Northern Line platform
below, I tend to conflate the two.

to cross the river west of the bridge, whereas the Northern Line goes
to the right.

The pre-1830 London Bridge was about 30m downstream of the current
bridge, so the Northern Line probably runs between the two sets of
foundations. This would make sense because I believe it was pre-1830
bridge foundations (which had been there for about 600 years when the
bridge was demolished) that were considered to be a bigger problem than
the either of the successor bridges.

It would also surprise me to find that the Northern Line platforms
went under the river, so that sets some kind of bound upon the
southern end. From the "liftshaft building" to the river bank is
400ft, so that's about seven cars.

I can't find any plans/diagrams of the station online, but various
pages on subterranea britannica etc. agree with my memory of the
station. The passages from the bottom of the main escalator to the
platforms didn't change much when the station was enlarged and you
could still see where the bottom of the lift shaft was when I last went
through. These pages

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/..._Street_5.html
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/RaggaJohn.html

have some particularly relevant detail.

From that I gather that the old liftshaft is exactly at the passage from
the escalators to the platforms (and when I was exploring the area maybe
that was down some old emergency stairs immediately to the south). But
the platforms have been extended slightly south as part of the station
re-build. However, it's therefore very likely the platform's northern
end is on the Thames shoreline.
Old February 4th 10, 03:37 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
On 3 Jan, 15:13, asdf wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:16:51 -0800 (PST), MIG wrote:
*Which is presumably why the northbound Bakerloo at Piccadilly Circus
had to be extended over the crossover at the north end,

I didn't know the northbound platform had been extended over the
crossover. Does this mean a southbound train using the crossover to
enter the northbound platform has to go beyond the platform before it
can reverse and become a northbound train?

Ah, no, because like many Bakerloo stations, the platforms are on the
outside, unlike the island platform layout that was used on the CLR.

So from the platform, you simply look across the crossover. I should
have said "beyond" rather than "over".
Hello guys!
I agree with the above information and I'm trying to get to Bank station from London Bridge tomorrow, is that journey possible?
Old May 6th 10, 03:48 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Heath View Post
Hello guys!
I agree with the above information and I'm trying to get to Bank station from London Bridge tomorrow, is that journey possible?
Yes.may be possible and its depends upon your idea and have a nice journey....