Old July 19th 10, 05:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU pop songs

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:11:47 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

This question gets asked occasionally; we really ought to compile a
comprehensive list.

The guys on ILM have tried:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...rollerServlet?

boardid=41&threadid=23486

But sadly the guys on ILM are all congenital syphilitics. An
unidentified human or humans have done well:

http://tubechallenge.pbworks.com/TubeSongs

Both useless. They don't include Willie Rushton's "Neasden", a song
which also mentions Tufnell Park, Golders Green, Harlesden, Ongar ("on
the dear old Central line"), Ruislip, and Tooting Bec ("where sheep may
safely graze"), as well as Orpington and East Sheen out in NR territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLa-KfO7m0

Old July 19th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"solar penguin" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:11:47 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

This question gets asked occasionally; we really ought to compile a
comprehensive list.

The guys on ILM have tried:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...rollerServlet?

boardid=41&threadid=23486

But sadly the guys on ILM are all congenital syphilitics. An
unidentified human or humans have done well:

http://tubechallenge.pbworks.com/TubeSongs

Both useless. They don't include Willie Rushton's "Neasden", a song
which also mentions Tufnell Park, Golders Green, Harlesden, Ongar ("on
the dear old Central line"), Ruislip, and Tooting Bec ("where sheep may
safely graze"), as well as Orpington and East Sheen out in NR territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLa-KfO7m0

There's also Fred Wedlock's "The Hippies and the Hairies-O" Which has both
Euston and Chorleywood on LU as well as Knebworth on NR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1tqIP5WKmw
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old July 19th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 July, 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

There is John LEYTON : Johnny Remember Me
Tavares : Heaven Must Be Missing An ANGEL

Also, the Barron Knights once did a parody of Angelo by the
Brotherhood Of Man which included the lyrics "Long ago, outside a chip
shop in WALTHAMSTOW.."
Old July 19th 10, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 July, 06:29, solar penguin wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:11:47 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

This question gets asked occasionally; we really ought to compile a
comprehensive list.

The guys on ILM have tried:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...rollerServlet?

boardid=41&threadid=23486

But sadly the guys on ILM are all congenital syphilitics. An
unidentified human or humans have done well:

http://tubechallenge.pbworks.com/TubeSongs

Both useless. *They don't include Willie Rushton's "Neasden", a song
which also mentions Tufnell Park, Golders Green, Harlesden, Ongar ("on
the dear old Central line"), Ruislip, and Tooting Bec ("where sheep may
safely graze"), as well as Orpington and East Sheen out in NR territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLa-KfO7m0

The fictitious "next stop on the tube: Marylebone Road" is mentioned
in Barry Andrews's wonderful "Rossmore Road NW1". It contains a
mixture of true things and things that were probably only true about
adjacent roads.

It also mentions "Regents Park", but referring to the park.
Old July 19th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
This question gets asked occasionally; we really ought to compile a
comprehensive list.

[snip]
But sadly the guys on ILM are all congenital syphilitics. An unidentified
human or humans have done well:

http://tubechallenge.pbworks.com/TubeSongs

This is a wiki, if anyone feels like adding to it...

Some more, that wouldn't all count as 'pop' songs...
(but neither do many on that page)

All Saints
"For all the Saints" (hymn)

Temple
lots of hymns

Hainault, Fairlop
"Come, come my boys" (18th century)
"To Hainault Forest Queen Anne did ride,
And saw the old oak standing by her side,
And as she looked at it from bottom to top,
She said to her Court, it should be at Fairlop."
http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/3Fairlop%20Oak.htm

New Cross
"The Only Living Boy in New Cross", Carter USM, 1992
"Don't let it pass you by", UB40
"New Cross was no gate-crash bomb...
Rightful justice must be done!
Burn two spliff and rock to the riddem
Burn two spliff and rock to the riddem
We don't deal with Isim Scisim
We don't deal with Isim Scisim"
(and various others about the 1981 New Cross fire)

I suspect there are many more if you just google "station name song".

Theo

Old July 19th 10, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7/19/2010 6:57 AM, Paul wrote:
On 18 July, 11:46, wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

There is John LEYTON : Johnny Remember Me
Tavares : Heaven Must Be Missing An ANGEL

Also, the Barron Knights once did a parody of Angelo by the
Brotherhood Of Man which included the lyrics "Long ago, outside a chip
shop in WALTHAMSTOW.."

Haven't seen anyone mention Sweet Thursday and their "Gilbert Street" --
Get your ticket on the Central line, get off at Bond Street, you'll be
flying high..."

Also Dream Academy has a song about the Underground Trains. I forget the
exact title, but the song includes the sound of a train -- I think it's
the Northern Line.

redcat
Old July 20th 10, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MaxB" wrote in message
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

(Sunny) Goodge Street by Donovan.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old July 20th 10, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 July, 11:46, MaxB wrote:
The Bakerloo seems to have done OK from Waterloo Sunset to Warwick
Avenue via Baker Street (and you could add the Lambeth (North) Walk I
suppose. I can't recall any other line getting similar treatment?

MaxB

Belsize Park gets a mention in Marillion's "Kayleigh".