Old November 10th 10, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boxing Day Tube Strike Threat

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I am sure they are currently preparing their excuses for threatening
to strike during the Olympic Games.

Old November 10th 10, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:31:39 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Paul remarked:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

"The spokesman said: "It used to be almost guaranteed that if
you worked one bank holiday, you would not work the next. But
the increase in service levels has meant this is now no longer
possible.

"We are not opposed to additional services for customers, but we
believe that there are times when staff need to be appropriately
compensated for working at highly unsocial times - and that
includes Boxing Day."

But, of course, the 26th isn't a Bank Holiday this year. Or are they
talking about the 28th, or was that the 27th (cont'd page 94).

(I knew that there was a reason for worrying about the Bank Holiday
arrangements this year!)
Old November 10th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

[...]

Indeed! The unions complaint seems to be about LU treating the 26th as a
normal Sunday (i.e. without offering those working any additional pay) - but
there could be various other grievances w.r.t. Bank Holiday working on top
of this. I wonder if LU has given some sort of non-contractual bonus in the
past when the 26th has fallen on a weekend day - and the issue is that
they're not offering it this time round?

Anyhow, I can almost here Philip Green (he of Arcadia Group - Topshop et
al - and friend of Tories in high places) bellowing down the phone at Boris
to sort it!

Old November 10th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:43:41 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
believe that there are times when staff need to be appropriately
compensated for working at highly unsocial times - and that
includes Boxing Day."

But, of course, the 26th isn't a Bank Holiday this year. Or are they
talking about the 28th, or was that the 27th (cont'd page 94).

Its just another pathetic excuse for a strike. Anything for a day off.

B2003

Old November 10th 10, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul wrote:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I am sure they are currently preparing their excuses for threatening
to strike during the Olympic Games.

You mean the tube runs on Boxing Day? If so, it must be just about
the only rail service that does.

-roy

Old November 10th 10, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roy
Badami) wrote:

In article
,
Paul wrote:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I am sure they are currently preparing their excuses for threatening
to strike during the Olympic Games.

You mean the tube runs on Boxing Day? If so, it must be just about
the only rail service that does.

In England maybe.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 11th 10, 01:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 10, 10:03*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roy Badami) wrote:

Paul wrote:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I am sure they are currently preparing their excuses for threatening
to strike during the Olympic Games.

You mean the tube runs on Boxing Day? *

Yep.

If so, it must be just about the only rail service that does.

In England maybe.

No - there's a few Southern and Southeastern services, plus (reduced)
airport express services.

This webpage details what happened last year (Xmas 2009):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...00/8413759.stm

For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant bits below:

---quote---
* Gatwick Express
Boxing Day - a half-hourly service.

* Heathrow Express
Boxing Day - Saturday service.

* Southeastern
Boxing Day - limited Southeastern service will run on the following
routes: Victoria to Orpington via Herne Hill, Victoria to Gillingham,
Victoria to Slade Green via Bexleyheath, Victoria to Slade Green via
Woolwich Arsenal, Victoria to Ashford International

* Southern
Boxing Day - limited service between Victoria and Brighton, London
Bridge to East Croydon via Norwood Junction and London Bridge and East
Croydon via Selhurst.

* Stansted Express
Boxing Day, Sunday 27th December, Bank Holiday Monday 28th December -
services will only run between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.
---/quote---

I haven't checked what Southern and Southeastern are running this
year, though I understand from a comment on uk.r that SE aren't
running the service to Gillingham.

I have however checked the airport express services - all are running:
the HEx website states it'll be running every 20 minutes; GatEx
appears to be half-hourly albeit with a slightly extended journey
time; Stansted Express is again seemingly only running to/from
Tottenham Hale (for onward connections via the Tube - if it runs...) -
FWIW, all StEx trains appear to be stopping at both Bishops Stortford
and Harlow Town, should anyone want to come into London via that
route. Oh, and Eurostar runs on Boxing Day too, if that counts.
Old November 11th 10, 08:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
18:15:23 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:
* Stansted Express
Boxing Day, Sunday 27th December, Bank Holiday Monday 28th December -
services will only run between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.

Full marks to them for spelling out the various days. 26-28th again this
year, presumably?