Old January 21st 11, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wobbly Oystercard charges

On 21 Jan, 11:29, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:20:48 +0000

David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 03:28:35PM +0000, Walter Briscoe wrote:

The Oyster helpline 0845 330 9876 is open 8 - 8, each day.
I find there is rarely a queue at 0800 on Saturday or Sunday.
Otherwise, you often wait 10 minutes.

Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers? *Any idea when TfL will do that?

*hollow laugh*

B2003

I'm afraid that for me this just proves (yet again) that Oyster really
is more trouble than it's worth, stick to paper tickets would be my
advice!

Old January 21st 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 03:37:29 -0800 (PST)
George wrote:
I'm afraid that for me this just proves (yet again) that Oyster really
is more trouble than it's worth, stick to paper tickets would be my
advice!

Except Livingstone deliberately priced paper tickets at an extortionate rate
to force people into using Oyster (and to rip off tourists). It seems Boris
isn't inclined to reverse this unjustified extra cost.

B2003

Old January 21st 11, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Fri, 21
Jan 2011 11:20:48 in uk.transport.london, David Cantrell
writes
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 03:28:35PM +0000, Walter Briscoe wrote:

The Oyster helpline 0845 330 9876 is open 8 - 8, each day.
I find there is rarely a queue at 0800 on Saturday or Sunday.
Otherwise, you often wait 10 minutes.

Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers? Any idea when TfL will do that?

I would love to see chapter and verse on that "meant".

I am quite irritated that 222 1234 recently moved from 0207 to 0843,
where ISTR it is quietly charged at 0.10UKP/minute.
From my landline, 0845 numbers and 020 are toll free with BT.
I pay a small monthly rental for that service.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 21st 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes

Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers?

0845 is not premium rate (unless you have an exceptionally bad telco).
It is supposed to be a local-rate number from any UK location (and can
be free on BT landlines for a small charge). Mobile phone companies may
vary.
--
Paul Terry

Old January 21st 11, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 21, 7:01*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , David
Cantrell writes

Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers?

0845 is not premium rate (unless you have an exceptionally bad telco).
It is supposed to be a local-rate number from any UK location (and can
be free on BT landlines for a small charge).

I think the idea of a 'local-rate number' is rather dying out - BT
residential tariffs don't embrace the concept of local and national
calls being charged at different rates any more, though BT business
tariffs did but I'm not sure if they continue to do so (though that's
perhaps less relevant here unless one is calling on company time, and
indeed a company line).

Mobile phone companies may vary.

I think on most mobile tariffs one is charged a (potentially hefty)
extra for calling non-geo numbers.
Old January 22nd 11, 12:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed, for 0843/5 the costs on a contract handset for the 4 major players
are; Orange & o2 20.4p per minute, Vodafone 20.5p per minute & Tmobile a
whopping 40.9p per minute. Given that most people calling 0843 222 1234 will
these days be doing so from a mobile, I find it very hard to see any
possible justification for the change to a non geographic number

Cheers, Steve.

Old January 22nd 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 21, 2:12*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

I am quite irritated that 222 1234 recently moved from 0207 to 0843,
where ISTR it is quietly charged at 0.10UKP/minute.
From my landline, 0845 numbers and 020 are toll free with BT.
I pay a small monthly rental for that service.

pedant
The area code for London is 020. Prior to it closing, you could have
dialled 7222 1234 from a London phone; 222 1234 wouldn't have got you
anywhere.
/pedant
But yes, it is annoying that it now costs more money to call TfL.
Old January 23rd 11, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:01:51 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , David
Cantrell writes

Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers?

0845 is not premium rate (unless you have an exceptionally bad telco).
It is supposed to be a local-rate number from any UK location (and can
be free on BT landlines for a small charge). Mobile phone companies may
vary.

The industry got that range defined as non-premium so they can queue
callers and count the cash coming in. For joe and jane user it is
premium: call cost is above the cost of a real local landline.

The usual cause of a move to 084x or 087x is a mis-selling to the
punter (TFL here) by a greasy telco on the make. Many GPs fell for
this, look at the Patientline scam in hospitals. It'll end in tears
for TFL.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com
Old January 24th 11, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 07:01:51PM +0000, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
Aren't public bodies meant to have moved to 03 numbers instead of
premium rate 08 numbers?

0845 is not premium rate (unless you have an exceptionally bad telco).

It jolly well is premium rate, if you use a mobile. 13% of English
households have *only* mobile phones, and I'd expect that to be higher
in London.

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE