Old August 21st 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercard-style test in Orlando

Looks like your idea is catching on over here. Central Florida transit folk
are testing an RFID smartcard starting next week for a year, with a couple
of bus lines, parking garages and tollbooths taking part.

http://www.centstobits.com for the particulars. I'm going to a meeting next
Tuesday to learn more about it as a tester and all-around transportation
guy.

Old August 22nd 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paying tolls by wireless is *very* old news. There was a system on the

This is different than the E-Pass toll transponders we've had here since
the early 1990s (and with open-road tolling on some roads now, it's very
very nice to not have to slow down to pay), though they have an adapter
which makes ORANGES work in E-Pass lanes. I didn't get one of those.

I could see the two technologies merging closer at some point, but this
should be handy for casual toll-road usage. Its main focus seems to be bus
and parking-garage fees.