Old June 24th 11, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster incomplete journeys research published

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:08:25 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message

My understanding is that you *can* get Oyster CS to send you a cheque

A UK cheque is of no use to a foreigner, and don't you have to have an
address registered in the UK for this?

1. The UK's balance of payments is bad enough without sending even
more
money overseas to people who mostly don't really need it. After all, if
they could afford to come to London .....

2. IIRC the Oyster system was based on the same technology used in HK
for Octopus cards

It's not the technology that important here but the fare structure.

There are several other metro areas using exactly the same technology
where
there is no opportunity for a systematic overcharge to occur.

Already posted in another reply.

Please list the systems where you believe there is no opportunity for
overcharge. There are systems with far more complications in them
that what applies to London. How do you know they do not have their
own variants of "local difficulties" about correct charging,
accessible readers, passengers having to comply with rules to get the
right price etc etc etc? I'm genuinely interested in your reply btw.

I said "systematic overcharge", I.e where a deficiency in the process
generates the overcharge.

Almost all systems are likely to have the possibility of overcharge due to
user error. Which includes, in the case of TfL forgetting to touch in/out,
but not: failing to notice that a touch in/out did not register as, as
suggested in the report, IMHO the sensory feedback provided by the Oyster
system is insufficiently obvious.

tim

Old June 25th 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:12:05 +0100, "Mizter T"
wrote:

My understanding is that you *can* get Oyster CS to send you a cheque,
however the default route for refunds is that they are sent to a station's
gateline/validators for collection when passing through.

They sent me a cheque when the person in their calling centre left
without finishing her call data. I had asked for a refund at a Tube
station. Within 2 days a letter arrived with the cheque, letter saying
they saw I was owed dosh but they could not see how it was to be
done as the person had left matters incomplete, so here's a cheque.
Quite honest of them!

No good if you're departing at LHR T1345 of course. And I have had to
hang up and call again if tubbie 1 isn't playing ball. Call centres
are the spawn of satan (1D & Be excepted..), TFL should sort out a
better mechanism - preferably where your call costs *them* money as an
incentive.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com