Old April 9th 12, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LT museum - can't pay with Oyster

In message , at
10:58:07 on Mon, 9 Apr 2012, J Lynch
remarked:
I seem to recall that when the Victoria line was opened in 1969 some
form of the "new" gates were used at the Clapham transport museum to gain
entrance. However I am not sure that these were the full monty - possibly a
simplified mock up.

Somewhere I think I've got one of the tickets they used to sell. And you
are right about the mechanism - in practice all it would need to do is
accept a correctly-sized bit of card.

Either there, or maybe in Covent Garden later, they had a cutaway model
of one of the Victoria Line ticket readers, showing how it flipped the
ticket internally so it could be read properly, whichever orientation it
was presented by the passenger.

Old April 9th 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Plus perhaps competition issues. After all, the LT Museum is a
charity separate from TfL.

When did that happen? I thought it was owned by LT then TfL.

Yes and no. The museum was set up as a separate charitable company and
assets transferred in , I think, 2008*. But the company is wholly owned
by TfL's trading company.

*checks on the wotsit: seems so from eg
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...tructuring.pdf
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old April 14th 12, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:54:54 on Mon, 9 Apr
2012, Roland Perry remarked:
I seem to recall that when the Victoria line was opened in 1969 some
form of the "new" gates were used at the Clapham transport museum to gain
entrance. However I am not sure that these were the full monty - possibly a
simplified mock up.

Somewhere I think I've got one of the tickets they used to sell. And
you are right about the mechanism - in practice all it would need to do
is accept a correctly-sized bit of card.

Either there, or maybe in Covent Garden later, they had a cutaway model
of one of the Victoria Line ticket readers, showing how it flipped the
ticket internally so it could be read properly, whichever orientation
it was presented by the passenger.

I was conflating a few things there, and now I've found the tickets.

Classic cardboard ones for the Clapham museum (not sure why the
different colours, and what does "Clapham Cl" stand for?)

And a special exhibition at the Science Museum, where you were given an
"Underground Ticket of the Future" (with magnetic stripe covering the
whole of the rear side) which you could put through the mock-up gates I
mentioned above.

http://yfrog.com/hws5gfj
Old April 14th 12, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

You know you're getting old when the "predicted" future has come .... and
gone again

tim