Old April 17th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored RC GETS IT!!

In article ,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/17/2012 2:59 AM, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , redcat
writes

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've
supplied the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR
Circle toward King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

The following (dating from the time of the change) should help you to
see the new pattern of circle line operations more clearly:

Notice that Edgware Road is the terminus of the line from Bayswater.

Oh, now I get it!!!!

Thank you for your patience. Thank you all.

So, I would transfer from Circle TO Circle (or H&C or Metropolitan).

YaY

Not Metropolitan but otherwise yes.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 17th 12, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Circle restored

On 4/17/2012 7:29 PM, wrote:
In articlezcWdnam9M6_p8BDSnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@earthlink .com,
(redcat) wrote:

On 4/16/2012 10:59 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

The way I see it (and I can't cut and paste the detail, so I've
supplied the long link) is go to Edgeware Rd and take either H&C OR
Circle toward King'sX (which means stay on the Circle).

If you take DISTRICT line from Bayswater you would have to change for
the Circle or H&C at Edgeware. Here's the link:

Unfortunately your link is session specific and timed out. Here's a
screenshot of the same journey.

http://www.tablazonvalley.com/details.jpg

I think you are misinterpreting the route. If you could stay on the
Circle line, there would be no point in showing the connection at
Edgeware.

They give you the choice of circle or district at bayswater. If you
took district then you have to change at edgeware. If you took
circle, you can stay on the train to get to great portland.

Suppose you get to bayswater and the white board says no circle. then
you have to take district and follow the change at edgeware
instructions.

This is how I believe it works.

That is not how it works! Both District AND Circle trains from Bayswater
terminate at Edgware Road. If you want to reach Great Portland Street you
have to cross to platform 1 at Edgware Road and take a Circle or Hammersmith
and City train that comes from Hammersmith.

Thanks, Colin. I finally saw what was going on.
Old April 25th 12, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4月16日, 下午10時05分, Neil Williams wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:51*pm, redcat wrote:

I lived in London through much of the 'seventies and anytime I needed to
go somewhere where the Circle or the District appeared to be the obvious
choices my heart sank.

Both lines remain the pits.

Why?

Knackered infrastructure, mainly.

But, unlike other countries, it does seem to be a LUL thing to run
nice new trains on knackered old infrastructure, rather than the
opposite as is more common (though usually maintaining the old trains
well so they aren't knackered).

Neil

No offense, but I think that's what you get for having a pioneer. It
has its price, IMHO.
Old April 25th 12, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4月18日, 上午7時58分, redcat wrote:
On 4/17/2012 7:29 PM, wrote:

* wrote:

[...]

Sorry for "joking", but I think it's "still" possible to take Circle
from Bayswater to Great Portland Street, if you don't mind enduring
the ordeal of traversing all the stations from Notting Hill Gate to
Euston Square...

Old April 25th 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:17:30 -0700 (PDT)
Patrickov wrote:
But, unlike other countries, it does seem to be a LUL thing to run
nice new trains on knackered old infrastructure, rather than the
opposite as is more common (though usually maintaining the old trains
well so they aren't knackered).

Neil

No offense, but I think that's what you get for having a pioneer. It
has its price, IMHO.

Being the first doesn't prevent up upgrading the infrastructure on a timely
basis. When there are constant signal failures on a line the way to solve
it is not to buy new trains!

B2003

Old April 25th 12, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Patrickov wrote:
But, unlike other countries, it does seem to be a LUL thing to run
nice new trains on knackered old infrastructure, rather than the
opposite as is more common (though usually maintaining the old trains
well so they aren't knackered).

Neil

No offense, but I think that's what you get for having a pioneer. *It
has its price, IMHO.

Being the first doesn't prevent up upgrading the infrastructure on a timely
basis. When there are constant signal failures on a line the way to solve
it is not to buy new trains!

B2003

"Being the first doesn't prevent up upgrading the infrastructure on a
timely basis" -- I am afraid it does, especially with the complex
branching on the subsurface lines. Just wonder if the new trains are
capable for running on multiple signalling systems simultaneously. If
it's so then I think new trains are somewhat essential before you can
upgrade signalling. Otherwise it'd be closing down the whole line,
which can be very detrimental, especially if the line in concern is
the District.
Old April 25th 12, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Patrickov wrote:
[...]

(By simultaneous, I mean capable of switching over several times in
one journey)
Old April 25th 12, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
Patrickov wrote:
"Being the first doesn't prevent up upgrading the infrastructure on a
timely basis" -- I am afraid it does, especially with the complex
branching on the subsurface lines. Just wonder if the new trains are
capable for running on multiple signalling systems simultaneously. If

AFAIK there are no plans for a new type of signalling on the sub surface lines
so they could easily have fixed what was there first then bought new trains.
The northern line got new trains 15 years ago but the service didn't improve
because the signalling was as unreliable as ever. So what exactly did that
achieve? Other than spending millions.

it's so then I think new trains are somewhat essential before you can
upgrade signalling. Otherwise it'd be closing down the whole line,

That never stopped them closing down the victoria line every other weekend
when they installed the new signalling for the new trains there. Which are
less reliable than the old ones. Another lot of money well spent.

B2003

Old April 25th 12, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

AFAIK there are no plans for a new type of signalling on the sub surface
lines
so they could easily have fixed what was there first then bought new
trains.

That's a completely wrong assumption though:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ive/20253.aspx

"Bombardier will install the CITYFLO 650 ATC system, a state-of-the-art
communication-based train control technology..."

So the new stock IS being brought in immediately prior to a full
resignalling of the SSR.

Paul S