Old October 24th 12, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Steaming from Olympia to Moorgate

In message , at 15:18:11 on Wed, 24 Oct
2012, Mizter T remarked:

So, like the Olympics, no real chance to buy one.

What a surprise, a negative comment from Roland Perry.

I was right royally screwed by the Olympics ticket ballot, and I'm sure
I wasn't he only one.

Old October 24th 12, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/10/2012 17:00, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:18:11 on Wed, 24 Oct
2012, Mizter T remarked:

So, like the Olympics, no real chance to buy one.

What a surprise, a negative comment from Roland Perry.

I was right royally screwed by the Olympics ticket ballot, and I'm sure
I wasn't he only one.

Did you get up at six in the morning along with half of the rest of the
country when further tickets went on sale to those who weren;t
successful in the initial ballot? Did you not take advantage of any of
the further ticket sale releases, of which there were several?

Also, IIRC, you didn't consider any of the 75% of tickets that were to
events outside the Olympic Park to be proper Olympics tickets, unlike
all the folk who went along and enjoyed these events.

And did you consider tickets to the Paralympics instead, which was also
a fantastic spectacle?

A friend of mine also decided he had a chip on his shoulder when he
didn't get any tickets in the initial ballot, and despite the fact I
flagged up the subsequent sales to him he remained in a grump and didn't
chase any of them up - when the Games got under way, he was rather
gutted that he'd adopted such an intransigent attitude beforehand.

Anyhow, a ballot is a ballot - not everyone gets what they want, that's
the whole point, but grown ups don't then throw their toys out of the
pram and adopt a status of victimhood.

(And yes, part of that tone of irritation is an echo of that which I
shared with my aforementioned friend.)
Old October 25th 12, 06:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:37:48 on Wed, 24 Oct
2012, Mizter T remarked:
I was right royally screwed by the Olympics ticket ballot, and I'm sure
I wasn't he only one.

Did you get up at six in the morning along with half of the rest of the
country when further tickets went on sale to those who weren;t
successful in the initial ballot? Did you not take advantage of any of
the further ticket sale releases, of which there were several?

I'd made other plans by then. And the timing of the extra ticket sales
wasn't that obvious to me (even if it might have been to half of the
rest of the population).

Also, IIRC, you didn't consider any of the 75% of tickets that were to
events outside the Olympic Park to be proper Olympics tickets, unlike
all the folk who went along and enjoyed these events.

The majority of the "outside the park" tickets were for football, so no
thanks.

And did you consider tickets to the Paralympics instead, which was also
a fantastic spectacle?

With hindsight, perhaps I could have done. But at the time of the
original ticket ballot the Paralympics had a very low profile.

Anyhow, a ballot is a ballot - not everyone gets what they want, that's
the whole point

Having applied for about six events, chosen over a range of days and
prices, none of which were things like the 100m finals, I was a bit
miffed not to get any at all. The ballot should have spread the tickets
more evenly (for example, putting people at the back of the queue once
they've got one set of tickets).

Old October 25th 12, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:37:48 +0100
Mizter T wrote:
And did you consider tickets to the Paralympics instead, which was also
a fantastic spectacle?

You're joking , right? The paralympics were a slightly sad, slightly comical
me-too event. The only people who took it seriously were the participants and
the right-on media. And the viewing figures pretty much bear that out. A lot
of the midly disabled atheletes who you can compared to the able bodied - for
example there was a cyclist with a deformed hand - were barely of club level
ability and shouldn't have been let anywhere near an olympic flame. The only
reason there were there was because of their disability, not their ability.

B2003