Old February 15th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

Default Getting to Kew

I have a zone 1-3 travelcard loaded on my Oyster card, and want to travel
from Clapham Junction to Kew Gardens. This involves getting a train to
Richmond then changing for Kew Gardens.

However Richmond is in zone 4, which I have always assumed means having to
buy an extension ticket (for something over a pound). This seems like an
unreasonable expense & hassle, since I don't want to go to zone 4 or to
Richmond, it just happens to a necessary one-stop detour on the way to Kew

Does anyone know whether I can (legaly) travel through Richmond without
buying an extension, since my starting point & destination are bot covered
by my travelcard (and I don't pass any ticket gates, just walk from one
platform to another)?

Also, with Oyster if I loaded on some prepay as well, with the intention of
it covering the extension part, how would I go about doing that since I
don't touch in/out at Richmond?

Thanks
Tim

Old February 15th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:
[...]

Try this to find an alternative route.
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/index.htm

Old February 15th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim" wrote in message
s.com...

Does anyone know whether I can (legaly) travel
through Richmond without buying an extension

You definitely can't.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 15th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:
I have a zone 1-3 travelcard loaded on my Oyster card, and want to
travel from Clapham Junction to Kew Gardens. This involves getting a
train to Richmond then changing for Kew Gardens.

However Richmond is in zone 4, which I have always assumed means
having to buy an extension ticket (for something over a pound). This
seems like an unreasonable expense & hassle, since I don't want to go
to zone 4 or to Richmond, it just happens to a necessary one-stop
detour on the way to Kew

It's not "necessary", it's just that you choose to go that way, and have
to pay the fare for that route. Alternatives covered by your Z1-3
Travelcard would be:
- by South Central to Victoria, then District.
- by SWT to Kew Bridge, then a 65 or 391 bus (or walk) to Kew Gardens.
- via Silverlink to West Brompton, then District line changing at
Earl's Court.

--
Richard J.

Old February 15th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:

I have a zone 1-3 travelcard loaded on my Oyster card, and want to travel
from Clapham Junction to Kew Gardens. This involves getting a train to
Richmond then changing for Kew Gardens.

The 337 bus goes frequently from right outside Clapham Junction (leave
through the shopping centre, then cross the road) to Richmond town centre.
It takes about 40 minutes in weekday traffic. Then 65/391 to Kew as others
have said.

Since the 337 goes past East Putney station, you could take the District up
to Earls Court and down to Kew if you really wanted.

Does anyone know whether I can (legaly) travel through Richmond without
buying an extension, since my starting point & destination are bot covered
by my travelcard (and I don't pass any ticket gates, just walk from one
platform to another)?

You would pass a gateline, in the corridor connecting platform 1 (the
westbound SWT platform) to the rest of the station.

Alex
Old February 15th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alex wrote:

Does anyone know whether I can (legaly) travel through Richmond
without buying an extension, since my starting point & destination
are bot covered by my travelcard (and I don't pass any ticket gates,
just walk from one platform to another)?

You would pass a gateline, in the corridor connecting platform 1 (the
westbound SWT platform) to the rest of the station.

You can get across the bridge and down to platform 2 and then across to
the Silverlink and District platforms without passing through any gates.
--
Richard J.

Old February 15th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

SWT to Kew Bridge, zone 3. 10 minute walk.
Old February 15th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Alex wrote:

Does anyone know whether I can (legaly) travel through Richmond
without buying an extension, since my starting point & destination
are bot covered by my travelcard (and I don't pass any ticket gates,
just walk from one platform to another)?

You would pass a gateline, in the corridor connecting platform 1 (the
westbound SWT platform) to the rest of the station.

You can get across the bridge and down to platform 2 and then across to
the Silverlink and District platforms without passing through any gates.

Oh yes, sorry. I'd normally approach platform 2 from the lower level, quite
forgot about those steps.

Alex
Old February 22nd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message m, Tim
writes
I have a zone 1-3 travelcard loaded on my Oyster card, and want to
travel from Clapham Junction to Kew Gardens. This involves getting a
train to Richmond then changing for Kew Gardens.

However Richmond is in zone 4, which I have always assumed means having
to buy an extension ticket (for something over a pound). This seems
like an unreasonable expense & hassle, since I don't want to go to zone
4 or to Richmond, it just happens to a necessary one-stop detour on the
way to Kew

Or Clapham Junction Willesden Junction, then change for Willesden
Junction Kew Gardens.

There again, you can transfer through Richmond without going through any
barriers, although staff sometimes spot-check passenger's tickets

Or Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge, with a 5-10 minute walk to the
Gardens.

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill