Old January 21st 16, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default NTfL: usual suspects short-listed

On 2016\01\21 09:29, d wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 20:29:45 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:

Why don't you just google for the answers you got the last half dozen
times you asked that.

Why don't you butt out of a thread you have nothing to add to?

Why don't you butt out of a newsgroup you have nothing to add to?

Old January 21st 16, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:06:50 on Thu, 21 Jan
2016, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:

but most people agree that train drivers are overpaid for their four
day week.

If only!

Which bit? The overpaid (compared to average wages then it could be
argued yes) or the 4 day week? If the latter:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...d-500-and-four
-day-work-week-in-bid-to-avert-strikes-over-night-tube-a3161856.html

The 4 day week.

There has never been a 4 day week on LU unless you work part time.

My original remark was about National Rail.

A 5 day 36 hour week currently,

7hrs a day. Wow!

and the offer is a 4 day 36 hour week.

Old January 21st 16, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes

The 4 day week.

There has never been a 4 day week on LU unless you work part time.

My original remark was about National Rail.

A 5 day 36 hour week currently,

7hrs a day. Wow!

7 hours 12 mins actually but that was not the point.

and the offer is a 4 day 36 hour week.

So moving to 9 hour days with all the potential fatigue issues that
involves...

Presumably there are multiple breaks and rest periods during the shift?

Old January 22nd 16, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/01/2016 21:48, Recliner wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes

The 4 day week.

There has never been a 4 day week on LU unless you work part time.

My original remark was about National Rail.

A 5 day 36 hour week currently,

7hrs a day. Wow!

7 hours 12 mins actually but that was not the point.

and the offer is a 4 day 36 hour week.

So moving to 9 hour days with all the potential fatigue issues that
involves...

Presumably there are multiple breaks and rest periods during the shift?

According to some here, there are breaks about every 2 minutes once the
button has been pushed to go to the next station...
Old January 22nd 16, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:04:56 on Wed, 20 Jan
2016, tim..... remarked:

try working as a junior doctor for 70 hours a week making life and death
decisions on possibly an hourly basis

Not to mention the nine years training, and having to be "AAA" at A-
level material.

I don't think that's a "have to", it's just a convenient filter. IME
there's no equivalent academic expectation in many other countries for
"entry level" doctors.

Entry to medical training in the UK is highly competitive and greatly
(I've seen as much as 10x) oversubscribed.

I know

that's why they *can* use AAA as a filter and still get to select on other
criteria

All you've done is confirm my statement

snip the rest as it added nothing at all of relevance to my comment

tim

Old January 22nd 16, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Roland Perry
writes

The 4 day week.

There has never been a 4 day week on LU unless you work part time.

My original remark was about National Rail.

A 5 day 36 hour week currently,

7hrs a day. Wow!

7 hours 12 mins actually but that was not the point.

and the offer is a 4 day 36 hour week.

So moving to 9 hour days with all the potential fatigue issues that
involves...

In that case the union shouldn't be asking for it, should they?

If what the union really want is a 4 day 30 hour week they they should say
so (and make sure that they are wearing their tin hats when the do - because
they would certainly take a thrashing from the public if they did!)

tim

Old January 22nd 16, 09:57 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I'm old enough to remember the good, old days when 40 hours
a week was regarded as more than enough and the general
aspiration was to aim for about 35 hours a week.

It shows how far our country has deteriorated that a 36 hour
week is seen by some as a pampered holiday existence.