Old September 17th 04, 06:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 - New service levels

On 10 Sep 2004 02:36:12 -0700, (Tim) wrote:

At the end of the first week of operation of the route 73 benders,
here's a few notes I have made on the level of service:

snip

Conclusion: These are all trips I could have completed easily on a 73
two weeks ago; compared to the service on RouteMasters, the
bender-operated 73 route is appaling if your want to get to/from Seven
Sisters.

For what it's worth, my limited experience so far. One short trip
from Tottenham Court Road station, was a fair bit slower than it would
have been on a Routemaster. Partly this was a case of the driver
taking it gingerly, but there was also a long wait at a stop, I think
while some passengers struggled with the roadside ticket machines. We
also had a very slow entry to the bus station at Euston.

The impression once inside the bus isn't all bad: the noise level is
low, and the ride is very good at least for those fortunate enough to
have a forward-facing seat. The quality of the materials used for the
interior seems better than those of other new buses.

There seems to be very little space to move around near the front
door, so quick boarding clearly depends on most people using the other
two doors to get in. Therefore I would expect boarding to be a become
a bit quicker as passengers get more used to the bus.

This wasn't a particularly crowded bus and I'm fairly sure there were
no seats free.

Martin
Old September 18th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Adrian
writes
Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

That turn seems tight in a Routemaster, never mind a bendy or
full-size decker

The one at the top of Kingsway, turning from High Holborn is quite
entertaining for a bendy, too - and that one's on the first route to go
bendy, whichever number it was (500?)

They seem to manage to overhang the kerbs and scrape the barriers on both
sides simultaneously.

521.

I use that from Holborn Circus to Waterloo on a regular basis (I used
the Greenway Nationals before the Citaros, too) and have never seen one
having a problem on that corner. Coming back from Waterloo is fun, too -
the underpass is like a fairground ride if you take the back seat of a
bendi.

--
Steve

Old September 18th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
In article ,
Adrian writes
Neil Williams ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

That turn seems tight in a Routemaster, never mind a bendy or
full-size decker

The one at the top of Kingsway, turning from High Holborn is quite
entertaining for a bendy, too - and that one's on the first route
to go bendy, whichever number it was (500?)

They seem to manage to overhang the kerbs and scrape the barriers
on both sides simultaneously.

521.

I use that from Holborn Circus to Waterloo on a regular basis (I
used the Greenway Nationals before the Citaros, too) and have
never seen one having a problem on that corner. Coming back from
Waterloo is fun, too - the underpass is like a fairground ride
if you take the back seat of a bendi.

I believe they take that route (through the Kingsway Underpass) only in
peak hours. Do you know the actual times for the evening peak?

--
Richard J.