Old January 11th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground Staff

How much do LUL staff get paid? Is it a salaried wage or is it based on
hours worked?
Im guessing bank holidays are compusalsary right?
Also what is the turnover of staff like?
I guess being sworn at and spat at when there is a problem puts a lot of
staff off the job??

Old January 11th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:54:55 -0000, "Bored Of The Rings"
wrote:

How much do LUL staff get paid? Is it a salaried wage or is it based on
hours worked?

Depends on the job - there are loads of different jobs and grades and
associated conditions. You need to decide what it is you would like to
do and then more information could be provided.

Im guessing bank holidays are compusalsary right?

As above - it depends on what you are doing. Front line staff as well as
some support staff are rostered to work on Bank Holidays.

Also what is the turnover of staff like?

Variable. There are a lot of "old timers" who have been with the company
for many years - this is partly as a result of the old London Transport
approach to the workforce which tended to encourage people to stay. It's
also a good place to work in many respects so people actually want to
stay. The latest edition of the staff magazine had some articles from
people who've recently retired - one lady had put in 40 years service
with LT / LU while between 25 and 30 is not untypical.

In some grades there is more turnover and that simply reflects the fact
that for certain areas salaries are not competitive and you can earn far
more by moving to the private sector - TOCs, Network Rail or
consultancy. Skill shortages such as signalling engineers or similar
can also cause problems in recruitment and retention.

I guess being sworn at and spat at when there is a problem puts a lot of
staff off the job??

While it would be wrong to say that there is not a problem with staff
being verbally or physically assaulted I do think it is sometimes
overstated. Yes the job on the front line can be stressful and
confrontational but there are millions of trips every week where the
staff and passenger relationship is absolutely fine and passes without
incident. In any job dealing with the public it takes one horrible
person to **** you off and one nice person to make you feel happy again.

Oh and for us office dwellers we get our own share of stress and
pressure.
--
Paul C

Old January 12th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Paul Corfield wrote:

While it would be wrong to say that there is not a problem with staff
being verbally or physically assaulted I do think it is sometimes
overstated.

Or under-reported?
--
Kat

Old January 12th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:54:55 -0000, "Bored Of The Rings"

While it would be wrong to say that there is not a problem with staff
being verbally or physically assaulted I do think it is sometimes
overstated. Yes the job on the front line can be stressful and
confrontational but there are millions of trips every week where the
staff and passenger relationship is absolutely fine and passes

without
incident. In any job dealing with the public it takes one horrible
person to **** you off and one nice person to make you feel happy

again.

The only problem that I have had with swearing was when I, as a
passenger, was sworn at by a member of staff. Seems to me that the ones
who get sworn at deserve it. There certainly are some real ****y
members of staff.

Oh and for us office dwellers we get our own share of stress and
pressure.

Now you are joking, office workers getting stressed. Are you sure that
you don't mean that some people aren't up to the job and get stressed
as a result.

Kevin

Old January 12th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Jan 2005 03:23:23 -0800, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:54:55 -0000, "Bored Of The Rings"

While it would be wrong to say that there is not a problem with staff
being verbally or physically assaulted I do think it is sometimes
overstated. Yes the job on the front line can be stressful and
confrontational but there are millions of trips every week where the
staff and passenger relationship is absolutely fine and passes

without
incident. In any job dealing with the public it takes one horrible
person to **** you off and one nice person to make you feel happy

again.

The only problem that I have had with swearing was when I, as a
passenger, was sworn at by a member of staff. Seems to me that the ones
who get sworn at deserve it.

Why do they deserve it?

There certainly are some real ****y
members of staff.

As there are in all industries and businesses. LUL is not unique in
respect of its customers or its staff and their associated behaviours.

Any job that involves dealing with the great general public runs the
risk of unwarranted and irrational confrontation. I know - I've
experienced it more than once.

Oh and for us office dwellers we get our own share of stress and
pressure.

Now you are joking, office workers getting stressed. Are you sure that
you don't mean that some people aren't up to the job and get stressed
as a result.

If you say so. You clearly know best.
--
Paul C

Old January 13th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Why do they deserve it?

If an LUL member of staff tells me to **** off why shouldn't I tell him
to **** off in return or smack him in the mouth.

There certainly are some real ****y
members of staff.

As there are in all industries and businesses. LUL is not unique in
respect of its customers or its staff and their associated

behaviours.

Any job that involves dealing with the great general public runs the
risk of unwarranted and irrational confrontation. I know - I've
experienced it more than once.

The number of times I have had a ticket rejected in the gates just to
get some snide comment from the staff. Why don't they just learn to
keep their mouths shut.

As I said, some members of staff seem to go out of their way to ****
passengers off then get in a huff because there is a confrontation.
Kevin

Old January 13th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

The number of times I have had a ticket rejected in the
gates just to get some snide comment from the staff.

That's never happened to me. I've only ever encountered one member of LUL
staff whose manner was less than ideal. But then I always treat them as the
people who will help me out of my problem rather than the people who cause
it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 13th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan 2005 02:00:51 -0800, wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Why do they deserve it?

If an LUL member of staff tells me to **** off why shouldn't I tell him
to **** off in return or smack him in the mouth.

Because it would be Common Assault, at the least.

There certainly are some real ****y
members of staff.

As there are in all industries and businesses. LUL is not unique in
respect of its customers or its staff and their associated

behaviours.

Any job that involves dealing with the great general public runs the
risk of unwarranted and irrational confrontation. I know - I've
experienced it more than once.

The number of times I have had a ticket rejected in the gates just to
get some snide comment from the staff. Why don't they just learn to
keep their mouths shut.

That said, some people should learn how to use their tickets properly.

As I said, some members of staff seem to go out of their way to ****
passengers off then get in a huff because there is a confrontation.

Hardly surprising given the short fuses a lot of communters seem to
have.

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old January 13th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 13 Jan 2005:

If an LUL member of staff tells me to **** off why shouldn't I tell him
to **** off in return or smack him in the mouth.

Because you are a better, bigger person than he is and are above such
small-mindedness?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/