Old March 17th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube so expensive

On 16 Mar 2005, Richard Adamfi wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Actually, the real cost of motoring *has* gone down, hence (partly)
the growth in the number and length of car journeys.

I didn't realise that! How the hell did that happen?

According to:

http://www.barrydoe.co.uk/2004.pdf

Between 1970 and 2004:

Inflation has gone up 10 times
Price of petrol has gone up 11 times
Average earnings has gone up 19 times

So, the price of petrol has, in real terms, been virtually static,
whereas average earnings have gone up almost twice as much as the price
of petrol.

Therefore, combined with the huge improvement in vehicle efficiency,
the average person can 'afford' to travel a lot more by car in 2004
compared with 1970.

Ah, i see. I think that means the real cost of motoring has stayed the
same, whereas real incomes have gone up. Different ways of seeing it, i
suppose. Coupled with the much higher rise in public transport prices, it
certainly means it's got cheaper relative to public transport, which is
what matters.

tom

--
I know you wanna try and get away, but it's the hardest thing you'll ever know

Old March 17th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

I'm still certain that the cost of motoring *in real terms* has
decreased. Unfortunately the useful graph I saw was in a book borrowed
from the library.

A quick Google shows this though:

Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 18th 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:45:51 -0600, "
wrote:

People are numb about it. It's ridiculously expensive.

Don't feed the trolls...
Old March 18th 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
EorJames wrote:

Well Im 15 and 2 pounds to go any where over London sounds find to me
including buses.
But for Adults i do understand.
10.50 For a peak time travelcard for London is stupid.
But if you think about it, the price of petrol because of Labours tax
hike its cheaper anyway.

If you're going to try and slag someone off do make an effort to get your
facts right first of all. The price of motoring, icluding fuel, has reduced
since Labour was voted into power.

Certainly not fuel tax.

It was the Tories who introduced the Fuel
Tax Escalator to push the price up faster than inflation.

And the point of an escalator is that when you get to the top, you get
off... Gordon Brown has continued to put up fuel tax (although cunningly
never actually in the Budget in recent years.)
Old March 18th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, James Farrar wrote:

Brimstone wrote:
EorJames wrote:

But if you think about it, the price of petrol because of Labours tax
hike its cheaper anyway.

It was the Tories who introduced the Fuel
Tax Escalator to push the price up faster than inflation.

And the point of an escalator is that when you get to the top, you get
off... Gordon Brown has continued to put up fuel tax (although cunningly
never actually in the Budget in recent years.)

Then we clearly haven't reached the top yet.

NEXT!

tom

--
Also, a 'dark future where there is only war!' ... have you seen the news lately? -- applez

Old March 19th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

EorJames wrote:

But if you think about it, the price of petrol because of Labours tax
hike its cheaper anyway.

It was the Tories who introduced the Fuel
Tax Escalator to push the price up faster than inflation.

And the point of an escalator is that when you get to the top, you get
off... Gordon Brown has continued to put up fuel tax (although cunningly
never actually in the Budget in recent years.)

Then we clearly haven't reached the top yet.

We're past the top of the FTE as originally envisaged. Next.
Old March 25th 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar 2005 09:32:26 -0800, "EorJames"
said:

Yes But Labour have put the Taxes up.
But you seem to think im the tories side as well.
Well i dont support any side.
But still taxes have gone up.
Luckly in todays budget petrol hasnt gone up until september.
I dont think Gordon brown would dare.
83p a litre on average is rediculous.

I suggest.
You learn to.
WRITE properly in English.
before jabbering.
About politics.

Old March 25th 05, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

said:

Luckly in todays budget petrol hasnt gone up until september.

I suggest.
You learn to.
WRITE properly in English.
before jabbering.
About politics.

A cheap shot, considering that he did not vote for the government
responsible for his education, whereas we did. Most people of his generation
have terrible English.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 25th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

said:

Luckly in todays budget petrol hasnt gone up until september.

I suggest.
You learn to.
WRITE properly in English.
before jabbering.
About politics.

A cheap shot, considering that he did not vote for the government
responsible for his education, whereas we did. Most people of his
generation
have terrible English.

Is there anything to prevent him making an effort to improve his English
without the aid of teachers?

Old March 25th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

said:

Yes But Labour have put the Taxes up.
But you seem to think im the tories side as well.
Well i dont support any side.
But still taxes have gone up.
Luckly in todays budget petrol hasnt gone up until september.
I dont think Gordon brown would dare.
83p a litre on average is rediculous.

I suggest.
You learn to.
WRITE properly in English.
before jabbering.
About politics.

Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked very
well.... at least, not in his case!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/