Old June 8th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Colossal temperatures on bus

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not? Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

--
Work like the ponies in coalmines.
Dance like the teardrop explodes.

Old June 9th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Alan OBrien wrote:
On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not? Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

--
Work like the ponies in coalmines.
Dance like the teardrop explodes.
Love like you're Frank in Blue Velvet.
Sing as though your little throat would burst.

For some reason, the upper decks of the 211 (even in Winter) are
grossly hot. Why should we put up with conditions which, frankly,
cattle would not be expected to endure?

Why do front windows not open?
Why do side windows open so slightly as to make little difference
(those dreadful hopper windows on refurbished Routemasters are even
worse)?
Why does heat seem to emanate from within the bus itself (not just the
engine compartment on the lower deck)?

Marc.

Old June 9th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why do front windows not open?

I've never understood why none of the buses that have been introduced in
the last 10 years have opening front windows. It seems to me to be a
very easy wasy to get the air moving through the top deck
Old June 9th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Probably,Stuart,because to do so would be a tacit admittance that
traditional engineering and basic commonsense dictate that if U have some
quarter drop opening front windows and a slight breeze OR some modicum of
forward movement you have cooling airflow through the vehicle.

Modern Bus Engineering designers in their rush to prove Mr C Curtis and the
Old Fogeys of the RT and Routemaster design teams wrong have decided to
rewrite the laws of physics.

The next meeting and public exhibition of the New World Order in Bus design
teams will take place on Brighton Beach at Noontime on the 21st June when
their chairman Mr C.Anute will prove conclusively that the natural world can
be bent to suit the human desire.

Please book a deck chair early as there is limited space available.

Event management is being handled by TfL and entertainment will be provided
by Hizzonour the Mayuh and a supporting caste.....

Old June 9th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard, is that a serious answer?!

You are obviously new here.

If so, I'd like to see what sized person can be thrown through a 6-inch
quarter drop window!

I'm afraid I don't know what an "inch" is !

As for things being thrown, the schoolkids of Hurlingham & Chelsea

"Hurlingham" ? Is that a serious name ?

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 9th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard, is that a serious answer?!

You are obviously new here.

If so, I'd like to see what sized person can be thrown through a 6-inch
quarter drop window!

I'm afraid I don't know what an "inch" is !

As for things being thrown, the schoolkids of Hurlingham & Chelsea

"Hurlingham" ? Is that a serious name ?

Yup, the area between Wandsworth & Putney Bridges, and south of the New
King's Road...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...175720&A=Y&Z=1

It has a Road, a Wharf, a House, a Park and even a Club Gardens!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 10th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:35:13 GMT, "Alan OBrien"
wrote:

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not? Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed many
new buses have this feature.
Old June 10th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not? Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed many
new buses have this feature.

There was an article in last night's Standard that said TfL have
concluded it doesn't make a difference.

Roy