Old August 11th 06, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Advice - overnight track works

Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got any
experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/ sawing/
hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise pollution at
unsociable hours?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Isaac

Old August 11th 06, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got any
experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/ sawing/
hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise pollution at
unsociable hours?

Which would you rather have?

1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping every
time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

Now, if you've been living in that flat since before the railway lines went
in, I can understand why you'd be disgruntled. If, on the other hand, the
lines were there before you...
Old August 11th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Isaac Abraham ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Last night LU took it upon themselves to work on the tracks just outisde
Harrow on the Hill tube station. They started sometime after 12am and
finished after 3am - our flat faces the track, rendering sleep
impossible etc.

Does LU have any complaints procedure for such cases? Has anyone got any
experience in dealing with them in such cases? Isn't drilling/ sawing/
hammering at such times breaking the law i.e. noise pollution at
unsociable hours?

Which would you rather have?

1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping every
time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

You missed out one ...

3. No maintenace at all, but 72 hours of emergency equipment, cranes etc
clearing up all the dead bodies.

Now, if you've been living in that flat since before the railway lines
went
in, I can understand why you'd be disgruntled. If, on the other hand, the
lines were there before you...

Exactly, NIMBY.

Old August 11th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping every
time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

What about people who don't use the Tube?
Old August 11th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham wrote:
1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping every
time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

What about people who don't use the Tube?

They benefit from being able to drive from place to place without
queuing for a hundred years, because thousands of people who'd
otherwise be driving are getting the Tube instead.

They also benefit from people who work in shops, offices and factories
supplying them with the goods and services they want and need being
able to get to work, instead of not.

If the Tube were closed down tomorrow, which seems to be your preferred
remedy to the problem, it would make your life substantially worse.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old August 11th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
Isaac Abraham wrote:

If the Tube were closed down tomorrow, which seems to be your preferred
remedy to the problem, it would make your life substantially worse.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not suggesting that the tube
close down tomorrow. The original reply to my post said that what would
I rather have: (a) noise at night and tube at day, or (b) silent nights
and no tube.

The point I was making that it's small comfort for those that don't use
the tube, that they must be kept awake at night to the sound of workmen
sawing/drilling/hammering/chatting for hours on end.

For what's it's worth, I do use the tube - but there are lots of people
who live here that don't.

Isaac
Old August 11th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Isaac Abraham wrote:
Adrian wrote:

1. Lines closed during the day for maintenance?
2. No maintenance at all, until the trains are banging and thumping every
time they pass - and let's hope it doesn't all go wrong?

What about people who don't use the Tube?

In certain cases they'll whinge like b****ry but apparantly lack the
wit to perceive the disturbance potential before making the decision to
live adjacent to the lines.

--
gordon

Old August 11th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
[...]

So the railway has /carte blanche/ to be as loud as it wants, whenever
it wants, and do whatever it wants, because it was there first?

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group
Old August 11th 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:
So the railway has /carte blanche/ to be as loud as it wants, whenever
it wants, and do whatever it wants, because it was there first?

No but it has a duty of care to carry its users in safety. Periodic
overnight maintenance is a perfectly reasonable component of fulfilling
this obligation. Occasionally this will cause local disturbance to
those who choose to reside within its vicinity.
--
gordon